I've made the biggest mistake of my life

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I stole £200 pounds worth of money from my work.

I have an investigative meeting on Tuesday and am at a loss over what to do. I know I am in the wrong and I am aware that the company uses civil recovery to recover any loss from theft. However, will they have me arrested and charged or take me to court. I can't afford even a caution against my name due to my future career.

Please help, I haven't slept a wink since I was given the letter and suspended for gross misconduct.

Thanks.

Edited by honeybee13
Removing employer's name.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

We're not here to judge you and I hope the forum guys will be along to give you advice. It may be difficult to advise prior to your meeting. Are there any mitigating circumstances for why you stole the money please?

In the interim, I'm removing the name of your employer because we don't need to know it and it's best to keep this anonymous.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I'm afraid your career with the retailer will be over. Did they get the money back?

They may involve the police or leave it for the civil recovery bods to chase you. It's a case of wait and see.

I think it is far too early to speculate what may happen but if RLP (or one of the others) contact you, we can assist.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Tactically it may help if there is reason not to be at work i.e sickness. You are starting a new job on Friday, so at some point you will need your P45 from your current employer, but i don't think they can withhold it.

Of course they can deal with it in your absence, but if you are not at work for the meeting, you cannot confirm or deny it. The disciplinary process will not be completed with your input.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If I don't attend the investigative meeting will that not force them to involve the police?

Don't know. Some retailers won't involve Police for staff thefts, unless it is a sizeable amount.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Don't know. Some retailers won't involve Police for staff thefts, unless it is a sizeable amount.

Would £200 be considered a sizable amount for a large supermarket chain?

Would £200 be considered a sizable amount for a large supermarket chain?

Not really.

Would there be CCTV or witness to the theft or just missing money ?

Not really.

Would there be CCTV or witness to the theft or just missing money ?

There is a CCTV camera beside the place it took place. I am unsure whether it would have caught the act/

There is a CCTV camera beside the place it took place. I am unsure whether it would have caught the act/

Your choice. Face up to it, see what evidence they have. Admit it and ask for forgiveness, explaining moment of weakness due to financial position. They are unlikely to forgive. You will be sacked and this will on their records for employment references.

Or you decide to not take part in the disciplinary process and see what happens.

If you admit the theft they could involve the Police or if you don't admit it as you could not attend the meeting, they could involve the Police, if they have CCTV evidence.

If there was likely to be a positive response from the employers for admitting the theft, i would say it was the right thing to do. Honesty is normally best. I am just doubting that the supermarket will respond in an understanding way.

OK

Im not here to judge but I have represented someone in similar situation before but that person was able to prove extenuating circumstances that meant I was able to argue mitigating circumstances. That person kept their job. They were VERY lucky.

Ultimately, it will vastly help you if you can make sure the money is returned BEFORE the disciplinary.

When you committed the act were you aware you would get caught?

Did you look at the Camera when you committed the act?

Have you been diagnosed with any psychological illness?

Have you received any medical intervention eg Counseling? IF so can you produce proof of this.

How long have you worked for your employer?

How is your record with the company? Is it Spotless?

Are you a member of the Union?

When is the Disciplinary?

I think you need to expect that with this company there is no turning back. BUT you might with extenuating circumstances be able to request the "Right to resign" and a factual reference. That would be my objective in this situation.

Edited by SabreSheep
Addition

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The investigation is on Tuesday and I presume the disciplinary will be the Friday. Shall I offer to return the money on Tuesday?

Will I be arrested. That is all I am worried about.

The investigation is on Tuesday and I presume the disciplinary will be the Friday. Shall I offer to return the money on Tuesday?

Will I be arrested. That is all I am worried about.

We cannot answer that. That would be up to the manager of the store.

Previous idea of paying back the money and saying sorry for a moment of madness due to problems may be the less risky way forward.

We cannot answer that. That would be up to the manager of the store.

Previous idea of paying back the money and saying sorry for a moment of madness due to problems may be the less risky way forward.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on returning the money through deductions from my last wage and hoping they listen to my pleads.

I shall update you tomorrow.

Get ndl onboard too to help with your debts too

That will show you are addressing the underlining problem.

Retailer of that size don't bother with small amounts like yours

They will probably forget about if you show serious remorse

Might be good to write a letter too first

I know of 3 people that got away with no probe at all for a far greater sum

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Get ndl onboard too to help with your debts too

That will show you are addressing the underlining problem.

Retailer of that size don't bother with small amounts like yours

They will probably forget about if you show serious remorse

Might be good to write a letter too first

I know of 3 people that got away with no probe at all for a far greater sum

Dx

I am talking to NDL Scotland, hopefully they can really help me.

A letter of apology?

I am really panicking now.

Thanks.

Update.

Went for my investigative meeting and done everything you all suggested.

I have a disciplinary on Thursday with the regional manager.

I presume it will be an instant dismissal and since it's the regional manager, the police will likely be called.

However, I dont know yet. Civil recovery in Scotland can be done through the courts or privately. I am praying for the latter.

Should I ask for a trade union representative?

Always have a rep with you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I have received my letter inviting me to the disciplinary meeting on Thursday.

It says, 'the allegations are serious and if found true may lead to summary dismissal'.

Will that be as far as it goes? I know I will have to return the stolen money, but if the letter says summary dismissal may happen is that all that can happen? Can the employer still contact the police and have me arrested for theft.

I also asked how I can return the money and the person conducting the meeting today said it would be discussed at the disciplinary.

Until Thursday, you won't know what they will do. They may contact the police however they may show compassion if you can show how sorry you are and prepared to make good the theft.

I cannot speak for them so just guessing at the moment

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Whether you are arrested will depend on several things such as the company's attitude to theft,

the method employed in stealing the money

and how you respond to their questioning.

then, the police may get involved and they will then consider the evidence and the liklihood of a conviction

and pass the matter on to the CPS who will decide whether there is a reasonable prospect of conviction

and whether the prosecution is in the public interest.

Now, confessing will make the prosecution easier but less likely to be in the public interest, especially if restitution by way of returning the money is offered.

Mitigation, explaining your circumstances and showing remorse will all help presuade the company that it doesnt need to take the matter further.