finally got a job, can't afford to get to it!

deepforest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey, I'm hoping I can get some advice here for my problem.

I finally got a job this week after a few years grabbing my ankles for Mr David Cameron at the Sanction Centre! It starts on Monday, and I've got exactly £9.30 in my bank till my final JSA comes through on Wednesday. The job is monthly salaried.

My train fare will be £12 a day 6 days a week, (maybe actually a bit less on the Saturday as that'll be Off-Peak travel) but e'en so, even if find a way to borrow Monday and Tuesday's fare, then I can't afford to pay that for the next 5 weeks until I first get paid!

I signed on today and asked my "adviser", (ha! I love that word - the only advice he's actually given me over the years is about the best way to kill myself and get off his beloved system! Sorry if I sound bitter, but looking around some of these threads I know I'm not alone on this), my adviser told me that I MUST sign off the day I start work or I'll get in trouble, and there was NO run on or help available for the intervening 4+ weeks till I get paid! Great!

I've finally got a job, got off their books, the first time I actually ask for REAL help from him - NO, nothing we can do. I told him that I might actually have to turn down the job as I'm not blessed with rich friends or family who can loan me the train fare that long, nor do I have access to credit as it's shot to **** after years on the dole!

They don't make it easy for someone who's actually trying do they!!!

Anyone got any judgment-free advice on how I can afford to go to work rather than stay on benefits. Thanks.

Silly situation. Do DWP not provide loans or buy your travel for a period. That would make sense.

Phone your local MP's office to see if they know of any assistance.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thanks for the answers guys, but unfortunately none are any good. In answer to the posts -

1. The job is minimum wage and although I'm grateful for it, there's thousands of people who could do it as well as me - it's not very cool to turn up on the first day as an unknown quantity and immediately ask for a loan.

2. I asked to speak to a manager - they said the same thing - no help available as I haven't been unemployed long enough to be subjected to their work house programme. So no travel fares for me.

3. I agree it is a silly situation. My MP is a Tory, even if I contacted them on Monday, the chance of getting a resolution before I needed my train fare the next week...? MP's are on their summer jollies anyway right now aren't they?

I appreciate you are all trying to help. But there must be thousands of people in my situation right now - what do they do?

thanks.

If family or friends can't help, maybe an overdraft from your bank, or a (non rip off) loan, credit card limit increase - anything that gets you to the job.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

If family or friends can't help, maybe an overdraft from your bank, or a (non rip off) loan, credit card limit increase - anything that gets you to the job.

thanks but this is my whole point - I'm not on speaking terms with my family. My friends are in the same boat as me financially, and my credit rating is so bad after a DRO back in 2013 that I'm only allowed a child's bank account.

I guess it's just one of those things then. No help because no answer - surely this is one of those times where the job centre should actually REALLY help rather than look to punish? Oh well, looks like I'll just have to stay on the dole and become a professional moaner!

thanks to all who tried to help.

The only other option is to try the employer. They are usually very understanding. I'm quite sure they would advance you £100 until first payday. They know the boat you are in and probably have heard it already so you would be no surprise. The fact you got the job means they think you are worth employing, so maybe they will see the value in helping you in the first month.

The only other option is to try the employer. They are usually very understanding. I'm quite sure they would advance you £100 until first payday. They know the boat you are in and probably have heard it already so you would be no surprise. The fact you got the job means they think you are worth employing, so maybe they will see the value in helping you in the first month.

It's looking like my only option to be honest. I guess I'll just have to do two days super hard graft to show I'm a good 'un, then hit them with the request to borrow a third of my wages "on tick" till the end of the month.

Doesn't look good, but hell I've got no other choice.

Okay, thanks for responding.

I am flabbergasted at this....

Intensive Jobcentre support

For jobseekers with multiple or complex barriers to work the Jobcentre Plus advisers will spend more time with the claimant looking at how to tailor back-to-work support, with more flexibility to send people on intensive training schemes, ad hoc funding to overcome issues blocking a return to work such as initial travel costs or suitable clothes for a job interview, and referrals to work experience opportunities with local organisations.

So you got a job- congrads by the way...and you cannot take it due to no assistance with travel.

And you are willing to sacrifice 2 hours of earnings a day for the priveledge.

I would publicise this locally with local rag and let the Tory MP know. The above is a Tory policy.

Also if you work 6 days a 7 day season ticket is cheaper.....

If you did a crowd funding thing I would throw a score at it... If this a true story and genuine then to me the whole thing smells like week old underwear.

Good luck and I do hope you can keep the job.

Is car sharing an option? Ie look on the web ?

N

Thanks numbers666 - I hadn't thought of a season ticket actually. I'll look into it. I've got an Oyster card (with about 3 negative balance lol) but figured that would still be the cheapest daily option - I might get sacked on the first day! I haven't worked in nearly 2 years so confidence is a bit of an issue for me.

Hand on my heart, for what it's worth, everything I've said is 100% the facts as it stands. But I don't think the local press would give a toss - I'm a "healthy" "white" "single man" - no reason not to be working. Having read some of the horror stories on here, I'm the last person deserving of sympathy or crowdfunding. I mean that too. So many people seem to have it so much worse than me. BUT that still doesn't stop me getting damn annoyed at the stooopid JCP that have been on my back these past 18 months trying to find work, offering no help and only fear that I might get my 5 groats sanctioned if I wasn't suitably subservient. Yet the moment I actually get a job (no thanks to them), and sign on today asking for help to get to it, suddenly all I got was silence from across the desk!

Thanks so much for offering funds to help me, but I'll be alright. I'll jog to the damn job if I have to! Please give your money to someone fighting an unfair sanction - at least (touch wood) I'm out of their bastad sausage grinder for a bit!

Edited by deepforest
spelling for context

A few years ago I was in the same situation.

My job was in Wandsworth - the one I found and I had to get there from High Wycombe for 9am. No help with fares or anything from the job centre. I ended up getting up at 5am and hitch hiking my way to work and back again in the evening. An absolute nightmare - I managed to get to the job on time but getting home again was a real problem and some days I never made it back - ended up sleeping rough at Hangars Lane a few times and then hitching back to work again the next day.

In the end I managed to buy a cheap motor bike by taking out short term shylock loans which I prioritised to pay off as quickly as possible. I'm not saying this is the answer for you and certainly don't recommend this course of action - but it got me out of a real hole at the time. Desperate times meant desperate measures.

To this day I still do not understand the reasoning behind the DHSS not giving out a soft loan to new successful job applicants in order for them to actually get to work - it is to their advantage to do so as I'm sure many will fail at this hurdle after getting employment then finding out it is almost impossible to get there.

not sure how far you have to travel for the job, but could you see if anyone else who works there lives near you and might be able to give you a lift in exchange for petrol money when you get paid

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Is it worth it considering it will cost you £72 per week in travel expenses alone.

A lot of people I know wait until they receive their first wage before informing DWP of a change of circumstances where it would be common sense to allow a run on of benefits as a short term loan for the first month.

Is it worth it considering it will cost you £72 per week in travel expenses alone.

A lot of people I know wait until they receive their first wage before informing DWP of a change of circumstances where it would be common sense to allow a run on of benefits as a short term loan for the first month.

I know! I'm tempted to do that. But wouldn't that technically be considered benefit fraud?

There doesn't seem to be any fair correlation of money paid in to the system and monies taken out. I could have 2 then 3, then 4, then 5 kids all the while sitting on my fat ass claiming ESA because obesity is now a disability, etc. But, I'd rather just go to work even if it's min wage for my own personal self respect.

Thanks for the advice Trebormoinet, and you are sadly correct that I'll probably lose money in the first month even taking this job, but I have to do it for my own sense of self worth.

It still disgusts me that I've actually finally managed to find a job and JCP offers me NO help at all. What point? Why do they even exist except to punish! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Well i l know what i would do, and that would be not to bother , i could understand wanting to work if that job would mean that you would be substantially better off financially but if only paid the Min wage, that will be unlikely be the case,

So lacking the incentive to get out of bed let alone spend several a chunk of your low wage to get to and from the work place and spend several hours doing so each week without being paid for it

You maybe better off seeking out something better paid and nearer to your home

and give the reason if asked, lack of help provided by DWP blame them

Well i l know what i would do, and that would be not to bother , i could understand wanting to work if that job would mean that you would be substantially better off financially but if only paid the Min wage, that will be unlikely be the case,

So lacking the incentive to get out of bed let alone spend several a chunk of your low wage to get to and from the work place and spend several hours doing so each week without being paid for it

You maybe better off seeking out something better paid and nearer to your home

and give the reason if asked, lack of help provided by DWP blame them

I would be careful though because they can sanction for applying for jobs that are unsuitable and they might be awkward if you say you refused a job offer they might deem suitable regardless of the problems with travel and surviving until pay day.