• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vanquis credit card...have unfortunately become one of their victims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, in the last few days have I discovered that Vanquis Credit Card company are [problem]mers.

I already have credit cards with Barclays and Capital One, and manage them perfectly well, am not in debt to them.

I apologise, here, for the length of this post.

In June this year, I received (junk mail....) an envelope from Vanquis, offering me a credit card with them.

Because I was in need of a bit more cash at the time, I stupidly filled in the online application form, and then received a phone-call from them. They approved me for one of their cards.

I did NOT then know that this company, Vanquis, are for people with bad or no credit history...to my shame, I simply assumed they were a mainstream, legitimate credit card company.

After the card was received by me, a couple of weeks later, I used it to purchase a few items. Taking it up to within £3 of the (£250) credit limit.

When I went through the application process over the phone, in June, with one of their staff, I arranged (or THOUGHT I did...see later) a Direct Debit with them, for the minimum payment.

I told them that I'm on a (Civil Service) pension, and that it gets paid into my bank account on (the specific date of the month it's paid in). I thus said to them, "The DDebit will, therefore, be taken from my account several days later, right?". (ie, in line with all my other monthly payments). The Vanquis staff member said "Yes, of course

All my relevant bank details were given to him, over the phone, in June this year, in order to [or so I thought...] set up the DDebit.

Then, to my horror, on 18th July (just 6 days ago), I received a text from Vanquis claiming that my account was £33 overdrawn.

Of course I phoned them immediately.

I'd ASSUMED that the DDebit which had (ostensibly) been set up in June, had been taken from my account a couple of days earlier.

Ie, I assumed my account was okay. (Not then knowing that they are a [problem]ming company - as I do know, now...).

Prior to phoning them on 18th July, I went online to look at my account. And found, to my horror, that a couple of days earlier (ie, the date on which the DDebit SHOULD have been paid from my bank account, to Vanquis), Vanquis had slapped onto my account with them a £12 "Late payment charge" (???). A (FAKE charge, by them) charge which tipped my account over the credit limit. And that they therefore then slapped on a £12 "Overlimit charge".

When I eventually spoke to Vanquis on 18th July, I said "WHY did you not take the Direct Debit which had been arranged in June?". The staff member said to me "We DID try to take it from your bank, but it was rejected". (NB., this, I learnt, was a deliberate lie on the part of Vanquis...).

I told him that I had more than enough money in my ordinary bank account to cover the DDebit - that it should have been taken just a couple of days after my pension had been paid in.

The Vanquis chap continued to claim that my bank had rejected the DDebit.

I continued to say to him "That is nonsense, I STILL have more than enough in my bank account to cover that DDebit".

The chap then had the audacity to say to me "Pay us £31 on your next pension payday and we'll clear the overlimit charges, and start again from scratch...".

I checked with my own bank this morning, and not only did they confirm that Vanquis had NOT tried to put through a DDebit to them, but that NO Direct Debit has been registered with my bank, by Vanquis; even though in June I arranged such a DDebit over the phone

- even telling them that (of course) they would need to take the DDebit each month on a date a few days AFTER my monthly pension is credited to my account.

Having, in the last couple of days, read online re. the horrific [problem] that is being perpetrated by Vanquis - FAKE charges being slapped onto people's accounts (my own example, above, being one such), willy-nilly, and the extortionate interest charged, I'm very panicky indeed about what they might do to me, finance-wise, re. my account with them. I realise it was very careless of me not to have realised that they, Vanquis, are not a mainstream credit card company.

It is an immensely stressful time for me, currently, due to other personal matters, so the very LAST thing I needed, right now, was to discover myself in the nightmare situation with Vanquis that I now see I AM in - thus adding to my stressed state.

I've been reading some of the many horrific stories of people's experiences with Vanquis, online, and really do not know what I should do, in the first instance, to try to limit their horrific assault on my finances, with the FAKE charges they've slapped on my account with them.

And re. the fact they deliberately did not, in actual fact, set up a DDebit for me, even though in June it had, I thought, all been arranged over the phone. Ie, they deliberately did not set up a DDebit with my bank, to them, precisely in order then to PRETEND they'd tried to put through the DDebit just a few days ago, to then PRETEND it had been rejected by my bank, in order to then slap FAKE charges on my account.

(I've read, online, that other people have found this - that Vanquis have claimed that their bank had rejected the set-up DDebit, and then the victim discovers (as did I, earlier today) that they'd not set up a DDebit, precisely in order to slap the fake charges on...

I would very much appreciate any advice as to what I should do, in this situation.

Thanking you in hopeful anticipation.

Edited by ChrisSpirit58

I would also remove your name from your profile and post as there are a lot of trolls on here

who will be able to read your dilemma and mark you out.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Bazooka Boo,

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, shortly after I sent my post, it did occur to me it might have been wiser not to have given my actual name.

I'd be most grateful if you could inform me as to how to "remove my name from my profile and post". Many thanks, in advance!

Right, First off... You need to know. The forum blanks put certain words when entered into any post. So SCA* will not show up and be replaced by problem.

Ill state my points below; And hopefully resolve this for you...

- Vanquis charges are unfair and can be reclaimed. I have done this on no less than 9 times... The key here is that the OFT didnt agree a correct limit. Plus penalty fees are not enforceable in law.

- DD issues; Get written confirmation from the bank. Advise them about what Vanquis have told you. That letter will be a good piece of evidence. If they have been neglectful in their service to you, you can have them for breakfast.

- Call recordings are everything, Vanquis keep them for a while so they will have evidence of what happened.

While the crew here will say stay off the phone. I think that it might be worth actually speaking to them...

0344 1307088 - Vanquis Customer Action Team

That's Provident's compliant department.

Or email;

[email protected] - CEO Provident Group

[email protected] - MD Vanquis

Please let me know how you get on :)

To remove your personal info, click *Edit Post* to the bottom right hand corner of your post.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Fkofilee,

Very many thanks for your offering knowledgeable assistance! I will much appreciate whatever you may be able to suggest/advise me to do.

Yes, from what I've read re. Vanquis, online, in the last few days, it makes me realise they are, indeed, what you term "muppets".

Fkofilee,

I much appreciate your quick response, thank you!

I will most definitely acquire written confirmation from my bank that Vanquis did not (contrary to their claim...) set up a Direct Debit with my bank, for them. Yes, that will be a very valuable piece of evidence, is very obvious. Why did I not think of that, this morning, when my bank told me that no, Vanquis had NOT arranged a DD with them. Answer to myself: because I'm immensely stressed.

Thank you so much for suggesting that it might be worth my while to contact Vanquis (contrary to what most people on here say).

One query, please.

Is there meant to be a space in the Michael Lenora email address (as you typed it, in your reply to me)?

For there is a space between the N and the K in the word 'bank'. Is that intended, or a typo? Thanks!

Fkofilee,

Thank you! Yes, I'm very familiar with the sending of emails (!! I send a great deal!), I just thought it might be some peculiarity of those particular email addresses!

As a result of what you advised, re. obtaining printed confirmation from my own bank re. the fact that Vanquis did not set up a DD with them (even though, in the initial set-up phone call, they took my bank details and claimed that a DD would be set up), I've just spoken with my bank's HQ, and they've sent a confirmation form, stating that, to my own branch, and have told me to go to see them tomorrow morning, and they will be able to print me off a copy. Which then, as you so rightly say, will be very powerful evidence/proof to the Vanquis muppets [to use your word!] that they blatantly lied to me, in that regard.

Yes, I realised, on reading my printed post, that this site substitutes the word 'problem' for the SCA--- word.

Very sincere thanks, once again, for your help. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thank you! I'd been attempting to find out how to amend my username, to no avail. Hopefully, the Site Team will advise me as to how to go about this.

I much appreciate your help.

I do feel a little less stressed, now that, as of tomorrow, I'll have printed confirmation proof that Vanquis most definitely did not arrange the DD with my bank. That will be very much in my favour, when it comes to sorting out this very nasty business.

It should, of course, have been an obvious thing for me to have requested, from my bank, when I went in to see them this morning. However, due to my stressed state, I overlooked anything other than their verbally informing me that no DD had been arranged, by Vanquis.

So I'm much obliged to you for advising me to obtain that printed confirmation.

What amazes me is, how can these [Vanquis] people sleep at night, knowing full well they're telling lies to people, with a bad motive behind those lies...

Edited by ChrisSpirit58

• 1 month later...

Fkofilee:

Just thought I'd update you... should have done it a couple of weeks ago, but it slipped my mind.

Vanquis have, to my surprise, pleasantly surprised me.

After several talks with their staff, over the phone (during which I said that if they took even £1 more from my account than was right, I'd go to my solicitor about them...), they said they'd refund all the incorrect [falsely applied by them....] charges, "as a goodwill gesture". They said that if I paid £43 [to clear the falsely-applied charges...], they'd credit DOUBLE that to my account. Well, I did pay £43; and they not only deducted that amount from my balance, but they deducted a further £55 off, too!

They've also re-adjusted the payment due date, so that it's in line with the date on which I receive my monthly pension.

It remains to be seen, of course, whether they will be so accommodating at the point where I'm able to clear the amount owed.... I've read some pretty nasty stories of people who, when wanting to clear their accounts with Vanquis, have found that they keep adding fabricated charges to the amount owed.

Thank you once again for your help, it was much appreciated!

Im glad you had a decent result on this one :) ... I told you if you were patient with them, you would get it done :)

Glad they sorted it out. Hopefully you should have no more issues.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I have been with vanquish for over a year and thanks to this forum i have kept one step ahead. That is how they make their Money, these charges then added onto the mouth watering APR. I settle my balance in full each month. I now have a Credit Limit of £3500 and still have a mind numbing APR of 59.9%

May i ask what APR you are paying??

Hello, Capquest worst nightmare,

Yes, you're very right that this wicked, very materialistic company are [despicably] making their money by adding these extortionate {and often added fraudulently... as I experienced, a few months ago, as related in my originating post, here) charges.

My APR is the same as yours: the horrific 59.9%. As I explained in my OP, when I took out the account with them, I had no idea they were the sort of company they are; having had other very important things on my mind at the time, I didn't check them out first. Had I done so, would never have taken out an account.

I intend to clear my outstanding balance with them as soon as is possible. I only have the £250 credit limit; I'd never dream of having the C.L. you have...!

All the best!

What makes it worse for me is that i now have a decent credit file with no CCJ or Defaults to justify the 59.9% APR

They are quick enough in putting up the credit limit to entice you into debt, yet reluctant to lower the interest rate

I spend no more than £50.00 a month and settle each month. I simply use it as an aid to my credit file for a payment history, nothing more

• 4 weeks later...

Fkofilee:

Just thought I'd relate this to you...!

Have been making the required payments to my Vanquis account ever since they eventually

{after I threatened them with legal action} refunded MORE THAN the amount of the fake charges they'd added in July.

To my shock,

I today found on my account another fake charge: for £0.96.

However small, it was definitely a false charge which had been slapped on.

phoned them this afternoon.

After being put on hold for quite some time,

the response was 'We agree that is a false charge, and will thus refund you £24 [and a few pence... can't recall the exact figure they quoted]".

Sthey're going to refund me more than 24 times the amount of the fake charge!!

Re. the earlier refunds [in July], which were greater than the amount of the fake charges - "a 'goodwill' gesture..."

- the note on this site, re. "Goodwill gestures" states that such companies will make these so-called 'goodwill gestures'

when they realise that the person in my position will not allow ANY fake charges

and thus they try to make it seem as if they're 'doing me a favour' by refunding a great deal more than the fake charge that had been wrongly added to my account.