• Tweets

• How much of the documentation have you seen from when probate was obtained? And do you have a copy of the original will? I can't remember. My thought about you making the decision on your own to go with another lawyer is that three of you are meant to be beneficiaries of this will trust, aren't you? Normally you would need to act together. HB
    • Octopus allows you to pay by variable Direct Debit, so you pay only for what you use but still benefit from DD pricing. That's what I've done ever we were SOLRed over to them in July 2022.
    • Hi guys, I am about to file my defence via email as cannot log in to the claim anymore.  Can you please advise if I can paste below and if it's good to go for now, or should I add anything else in?  Thanks!  The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  1.  The Defendant is the recorded keeper of vehicle xxxx xxx.  2.  It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant - Parking Eye LTD.  3.  As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance.  The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner.  Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim.   4.  In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant.  5.  The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer.   6.  The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety.  It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.
    • Getting onto the ladder: The first-time buyer conundrumView the full article
    • Ooops - one to many also s..... my draft reply should read as:  Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands, and if P2G wish to avoid the addition of court costs and interest to my claim, you may wish to respond positively before that date.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Win 10 Automatically Updates Whether You LIke It Or Not

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In past versions of Windows, Microsoft has allowed users to configure how they want operating system updates to be delivered. Those looking for the ultimate protection configure Windows Update to automatically install them, while others may, accidentally or not, disable the feature or postpone installing any updates for a very, very long time. I have seen systems that last had updates installed years before I was asked to troubleshoot them.

With Windows 10, however, Microsoft is taking matters into its own hands, by making automatic updates mandatory. This applies to both home and business users, unless the latter group turns to dedicated tools that allow them to have more control over how updates are installed. Basically, you have to go out of your way to keep Windows 10 out of date.

The most up to date Windows 10 licensing agreement, from build 10240, says the following:

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Microsoft has confirmed that this will, indeed, be the case going forward, with a company spokesperson saying that "The license terms for Windows 10 require Automatic Updates be enabled as a part of keeping our customers secure and delivering Windows as a service". As I said before, it will be possible for some users to tweak this behavior, but I believe it will be limited to enterprises, which naturally want more control over such things.

Personally, I welcome Microsoft's approach, as, based on my experience, there are plenty of Windows users who need to be protected against themselves. Some can be so ill-informed that they will disable Windows Update simply because they do not want to deal with the notifications that pop up when their systems have not been updated in a long time. They will expose their systems and personal data without realizing it, then they will blame Microsoft or other parties for the performance of their system.

Of course, Microsoft can expect some Windows users to have a problem with this. There are legitimate cases when having Windows Update download lots of updates can interfere with certain tasks, but, for the average user, this should not be a problem. It can also be argued that some updates need to be "proven" before they are applied, but, again, times when such issues occur can be very rare.

Another thing to note is that, by making automatic updates mandatory, Microsoft will be making it easier to keep users' systems current after releasing major Windows 10 updates, not just minor updates and security fixes. If, for instance, there will be a Windows 10.1 in the foreseeable future, it could be possible to have it automatically install right after being made available.

Such an approach would make it possible to avoid the Windows 8.x update disaster, where there are still lots of users -- 2.9 percent of all PC users, to be exact, which is more than Windows Vista has -- running Windows 8 despite Windows 8.1 being offered as a free upgrade. This is a problem that Microsoft does not want to deal with again, if it is possible to avoid it (and it is), because it hurts it in the long run.

Source: WinBeta

Microsoft (and other experts), has always made the point that the non patching of vulnerabilities as they appear in all operating systems is the main cause of successful hacking, sc@m success and personal detail theft. Malicious software removal tools and other patches are issued on a monthly basis by Microsoft and sudden urgent patches are issued immediately a patch is available.

Malware in one persons computer can, and does, spread to others when it has been designed to latch onto websites visited. For a long long time we have been warned to keep our computers up to date.

As millions of computers throb with malware that they pass on without knowing it, something had to be done and patching without notice is one of the best ways to do it.

If people don't run any sort of anti-malware programs, and there are tens of millions who don't, then a way of helping to slow down the passing on of malware is to do updates without asking. A lot of personal computer users aren't aware they have disabled updates and they are the vulnerable ones and the ones most likely to pass on malware to others.

Windows 10 is not a paid for Operating System. If a copy has been reserved as was offered, it would upgrade completely free, so the question of 'software paid for' doesn't come into it.

It really is about time that the worldwide and prolific problem of Phishing, sc@ms and personal detail theft and all forms of malware were taken seriously and this is just a small piece of the way to do it.

[...] Microsoft is taking matters into its own hands, by making automatic updates mandatory.

Sorry, but I decide when to upgrade the software that I use, not some anonymous corporation operating out of a foreign state. Some of the packages that I use are older, unsupported versions because I dislike the latest gee-whiz widgets, and the core kernel is tuned to do what I want.

Thankfully, Linux provides everything I need and is pretty immune to the malware that infests the world of Microsoft.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

This is about security and the usual stupid brag about Linux verses Microsoft doesn't come into it, but just in case you want figures, take a look at the NIS who keep world records and they will tell you:

"... there have been more High Severity (remotely exploitable) vulnerabilities found in the Linux operating system than in Microsoft Windows."

So get off your high horse. Linux is server stuff and not at all suitable for the vast majority of world users who just want to plug something in and it works.

Why poo pooh someone taking responsibility, trying to make the internet and our lives more secure.

Apple users are the same but unfortunately, just like Linux, they are immune from nothing. It's just that it's not worth bothering with Linux as there are only a handful of users.

Not from Microsofts side. If people threaten others by not having secure systems, then they will be made to.

You have freedom of choice, don't get 10, risk malware, be selfish, risk not just your own safety but others as well.

There can never be a guarantee, there is no such thing as a safe code, what is safe today will be broken tomorrow.

The majority of problems are not because of Windows, but the careless use of computers by users, ie downloading junk and opening attachments with malware in them so introducing into their PC. Torrents play a big big part in that.

Edited by Conniff

Currently there is a manual fix for this so maybe the "geeks" will find a way to stop it in the final release see here for details

http://winaero.com/blog/change-windows-update-settings-in-windows-10/

Techies amongst us may enjoy reading the info from here too

http://bsodanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/samsung-deliberately-disabling-windows.html

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Company versions of the RTM will have the ability which means a way around it for everyone who wishes will start appearing on sites. Anyone who does not keep their system updated are silly.

There was never intended to be control during the beta testing, MS needed to know what the system was doing and how it was performing which is why all keystrokes, and everything done on the beta was sent back to MS.

one reason why i dont update auto and wait abit is as mentioned re their updates poss causing crashes/conflicts/issues (which is not rare imo).

when the info was readily available to non techies, it wld say whether there are any poss 'known issues'. and then, the poss issues outside of that.

their updates are monthly, unless there is a v urgent one eg re a virus/zero day (if they can patch it). once known, a good antiv shld be able to deal with anyway. until then nowt much can be done. and most of the 'normal' sec patches are re privately reported ones.

i mostly only do the sec patches anyway. if all else is working ok. no 2 pc's are the same.

ps

as mentioned re user.

the times been 'infected':

dodgy email attachments being blindly opened. (most picked up by symantec, others by other on demand a/v)

dodgy (legit) infected websites, downloads. (picked up by avira)

ie nowt to do with the o/s.

Just to throw another spanner in the works for those that like to buy and not be told what to do, (although you never buy Windows just a license to use it), you might not be able to buy a copy either.

It is looking as if Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of Windows and future versions will be not by purchase of a license but by subscription. So direct debit fail and so will your computer.

That is the way Microsoft and others seem to be going. Even some of the software is now sold with limitations and if you want more features you have to pay more.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Here's an article that supports all those that don't want to be forced to update:

Microsoft's licensing on the upcoming Windows 10 OS means that most users will find their systems updating on command from Redmond without any option to stop this.

The Licensing Agreement for Windows 10, as found in the latest release candidate build 10240 of Windows 10 Professional, stated:

The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.

You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.

By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Microsoft's intention is that users will be always up-to-date, not only with security patches, but also with feature updates.

This makes it easier for the company to keep pace with changing technology, and provides developers with a more consistent target for applications.

The downside is that feature upgrades can potentially break applications, or drivers for peripherals such as printers and scanners. Those who value stability above having the latest features may prefer to install security updates only.

Windows 10 does allow this, but only for businesses running the Enterprise Edition of Windows. These customers can opt for the Long Term Service Branch (LTSB), which is updated only every 2-3 years (just like traditional Windows releases).

These LTSB releases are supported for up to 10 years.

Other customers will be either on Current Branch (the only option for Windows Home) or Current Branch for Business (CBB), available if you have a version of Windows Professional or Enterprise.

Businesses with Windows 10 Professional can manage updates to some extent. Microsoft has a new tool, Windows Update for Business, which lets you group machines to be updated into distribution rings, so that more critical systems can be updated later, and specify exactly when updates take place by defining maintenance windows.

It appears though that these tools do not allow updates for Windows 10 Professional to be deferred indefinitely.

"Customers who are embracing Current Branch for Business do need to consume that feature update within the allotted time period of approximately eight months or they will not be able to see and consume the next security update," ...

... said Helen Harmetz, Micosoft Senior Product Marketing Manager, in a partner training video earlier this year.

...Those who value stability above having the latest features may prefer to install security updates only...
:)

no doubt, whichever version, there will be a workaround :)

So I have XP pro on an old stand alone PC with AVG Paid for Internet security and AVG Tune-Up running.

I am one of those 'non techi' users conniff refers to and I am sitting here feeling guilty of most of what he/she describes above, what additional things should I do to make my, and other friends I communicate with, PC's secure and safe? I thought I was covered.

Thanks - I would like to feel I wasn't causing the internet community problems.

A1

So I have XP pro on an old stand alone PC with AVG Paid for Internet security and AVG Tune-Up running.

I am one of those 'non techi' users conniff refers to and I am sitting here feeling guilty of most of what he/she describes above, what additional things should I do to make my, and other friends I communicate with, PC's secure and safe? I thought I was covered.

Thanks - I would like to feel I wasn't causing the internet community problems.

A1

Windows XP is very old now and no longer supplied with security updates and the likes when a flaw is found. I would look to upgrade to at least windows 7 to be safe and secure.

I wonder if Windows will stand the cost when the force an update on a laptop that is on a PAYG broadband when they choose to send the update. While I agree that security updates are necessary you need to be given the opportunity of when you download them . Apple let you do that , in fact you can choose if you download them or not but Apples is such a superior product it defies belief

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Windows XP is very old now and no longer supplied with security updates and the likes when a flaw is found. I would look to upgrade to at least windows 7 to be safe and secure.

If the PC is not powerful enough for Win 7 there are Linux distros like Elementary OS that would work well on such a computer. That is another option over buying 7,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

might be too late if the conflict is fatal/bsod (which has happened before re their updates, roll back/restore being non effective)