Problems with Homebase and supplying faulty goods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We bought our kitchen and appliances from Hombase back in January 2014.

We bought an oven package which included oven, hob and extractor.

At the time of purchase, they tried to fob us off with extended warranty, we said no because under the Sale of Goods Act you are covered up to 6 years if items develop electrical faults.

14 months after purchase, the oven started to cut out when heating up and was making a loud rattling noise.

We sent in am email to Homebase; they said for us to get a tester out and they would honor the call out charge and replace the oven if it was faulty.

We called a firm out, and when they tested said the cooling fan was faulty and looked like it had been faulty from original purchase.

We sent this in to Homebase who sent us payment for call out charge and replacement oven.

Everything was fine with the new oven, however within a week of using it, the glass door in the oven smashed and went all over the kitchen floor and also ruined our dinner.

We took photographs immediately and sent it in to Homebase.

We could not believe it 2 faulty ovens from the same shop!!

Anyway, we got a call on Friday, to say the department dealing with the issue will be in touch to discuss the matter, yesterday, out of the blue, Argos phoned to say they had an order for a replacement oven.

I refused the oven because Homebase was supposed to have contacted me beforehand to discuss the matter which they failed to do so.

I stated I wanted a full refund of the £499 we originaly paid for the oven package so that we wanted to buy an oven elswhere as we did not felt confident in another one being provided.

I was suppossed to have had a phone call from the manager of Homebase this morning, nothing!!

So, what can I do, not been down this road before, and certainly never had 2 faulty appliances being given!!

I don't think you can demand a full refund.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

didn't say it didn't come under sale of goods act.

simply that I don't think you can ask for a refund.

you say the replacement oven door smashed after 1 week.

when was this?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it is up to the shop to decide how to make good, it could be a repair, replacement or if that is not possible a refund. After a period of time they can subtract money for the amount of usage you have had so you wouldnt get a full refund ater more than a year.

The new oven only last a week before it became defective.

As soon as the glass door smashed, we sent the picture in the same evening.

I emailed them this morning to say if they didn't respond by Monday then I would write a letter of complaint to the Managing Director, and I have also emailed trading standards asking for advice.

Refusing the ovan was a mistake

They are trying to put things right

I can not see how you will get a full refund either

By all means complain write to the ceo

but remember they have tried to put things right

I see any complaint dismissed fairly swiftly

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I have every right to refuse the new oven because it would have been a third one supplied.

It quite clearly states under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 that I am perfectly within my right to request a full refund.

I was told via a telephone call that the manager of the section should have phoned me to discuss what I wanted, they ordered a replacement oven regardless.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 this is what it says;

What the Sale of Goods Act says

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that any item you buy from a trader must be:

of satisfactory quality

fit for purpose

match any description given.

If it isn’t, you can usually get one of the following:

a repair

a replacement

your money back (a refund)

some of your money back.

So I am perfectly entitled to ask for a full refund due to the fact the 2 ovens supplied were proven to be faulty and not fit for purpose.

It quite clearly states under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 that I am perfectly within my right to request a full refund.

Sorry to be blunt but, where exactly?

You can certainly request one, but the retailer is not obliged to actually give one if they're offering to make it right via a repair/replacement.

The SOGA rights start on the day you bought the original oven and not on the date you had a replacement, so you are 'not entitled' to a full refund. Your refund, should the rejection be accepted, (and your not entitled to that either), would be minus 'enjoyment' for 18 months.

The regulations also state 'you have for a short period', and although the actual period isn't stated, I don't think you can class 18 months as a short period.

Make a big enough nuisance of yourself and you might get something as a good will gesture.

• 1 month later...