• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gjindancer Vs Barclays ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Pkea I find that highly amuzing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Professor Bill well put, I like the advanced maths!

Gindancer e-mail your man with the spready file and tell him to type in the figures off your sheet that you sent him!!!!!!!!

Leech

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

click my scales if you think i am helpful ! yes LHS down there !!

Once more into the breach dear friends,once more

or close the wall up with our banks dead ,

The games afoot,follow your spirit and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry' England and St George

Henry V battle of Agincourt 1415

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK fair point :D I actually was planning to send him a blank one and telling him to enter the figures himself!

I do actually have a rough idea of the workings out myself, - thanks Bill-K for the clarification! But I guess what I relly need is to find the legal bit that talks about interest on penalties to back myself up - I should research more...

Or send him Bill,s photo (the large one) and say this is the professor he needs to work it out, or the one he,ll get a visit from unless they pay up!!!!!!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

OK fair point :D I actually was planning to send him a blank one and telling him to enter the figures himself!

I do actually have a rough idea of the workings out myself, - thanks Bill-K for the clarification! But I guess what I relly need is to find the legal bit that talks about interest on penalties to back myself up - I should research more...

Hi gjindancer these twits know all about CAG they can register and get the spreadsheet themselves and then enter your figures themselves they are just delaying tactics.

dpick:mad:

Hi gjindancer...you wrote:

"However from a broader perspective, what we all are doing on this forum is and should be open and transparent, and the equations used to work out the interest should be reasonable and available for all to see.

While he may try to debunk my unlawfully charged interest claim from the equations or spreadsheet, I'f I don't provide him the equation, then I am not being as cooperative as I could be in the eyes of the law?"

I know where your coming from mate, but don't forget, they deal with interest every day of the week. They could and would tie me in knots with stuff like this very easily.

I have absolutely no doubt that the banks are trawling this site and others like it for any chink they can find to confuse the issues. Don't fall for it.

Should the banks argue about interest on penalties let them prove it. Have they told you what the interest should be or how they worked it out?

Personally, I think it is a bl***y liberty. If you hadn't have been charged any penalties in the first place there wouldn't be anything to calculate.

Should you go to court, perhaps the judge will see it this way too.

Finally, only deal with them through the post. You can then show the people on this site what was written and get better help. I for one would be very interested to see how they work the interest on penalty charges out. (And justify it).

THEY ARE A BANK WITH HIGHLY QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANTS AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS THAT CALCULATE INTEREST AND COMPOUNDS ETC ALL DAY LONG. TELL HIM TO ASK THEM.

Why are you still talking to him.

If he thinks its wrong, let him tell the Judge why and explain how they calculate the charges. (Which they wont)

Just let it progress through court and take its course

PKea hits the nail on the head here,

You are taking THEM to court not the other way around, just tell him, if he fails to agree then you will simply continue and you can discuss it in the court room and let the judge decide......YOU WIN!

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Hi Dan

It appears that the problem Barclays have is with the reclaiming of overdraft interest paid, not the 8% statutory interest, is that right?

The concept is simple - when Barclays have charged you overdraft interest, they have charged it on your full overdrawn balance. However, if the bank hadn't debited unlawful charges from your account, you wouldn't have been overdrawn by so much (if at all) and therefore the interest charged wouldn't have been as much. So, what the spreadsheet does is work out how much you would have been overdrawn (if at all) if the charges hadn't been debited, and then calculates what proportion of the overdraft interest charged was due to the unlawful charges debited to the account.

Bill explains the formula pretty much perfectly in this post, and I can confirm that the spreadsheet you're using calculates the amounts correctly.

You're reclaiming this proportion of overdraft interest charged because it shouldn't have been charged in the first place, and you're entitled to be put back in the financial position you would've been in if it hadn't been for the unlawful charges. Of course, as you've issued court proceedings, you're also entitled to claim the statutory 8% on this interest charged.

Regarding 8% statutory interest, if Barclays have a problem with that, then this page from HMCS explains it really well:

How to make a claim

Handily, it provides a calculation in case they can't work that out :D

Now, I don't think there's any requirement at all for you to email Barclays a copy of your spreadsheet - I reckon they're just trying to play games and imply doubt over the figures involved - especially as you'll have been completely open by including a printed copy of the sheets with your N1 claim form. However, if you want to send it, then I don't think it's going to harm anyone else claiming, the calculations are valid and perfectly justifiable.

Remember, the hearing date on Friday is to your advantage and to Barclays' disadvantage - they will want to settle beforehand, I'm sure. As long as you're comfortable explaining your calculations to the judge, then I think the judge would see anything wrong in awarding the same figures you've come to.

In short, don't be put off by Barclays umming & ahhhing - it might take you a little longer to get your money, but patience is a virtue (so they say) :)

HTH

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

Thanks Michael! Thanks for the comprehensive answer! I think I have all I need to explain to a judge now so I'm happy with that :D

Thanks to Bill-K too for the effort he's put in with my spreadsheet and everyone else who's given me the moral support!

If I don't engage Barclays in anymore telephone discussions, what should I expect to happen before this coming friday? If they send an offer through the post and its without the interest on penalties am I going to have to call them?

I've seen threads with offers being updated over telephone and email - that seems so far away from the conversation I've had with Paul Quinn last week - fingers crossed I suppose!!

Dan

Thanks Michael! Thanks for the comprehensive answer! I think I have all I need to explain to a judge now so I'm happy with that :D

You're welcome :)

If I don't engage Barclays in anymore telephone discussions, what should I expect to happen before this coming friday? If they send an offer through the post and its without the interest on penalties am I going to have to call them?

I've seen threads with offers being updated over telephone and email - that seems so far away from the conversation I've had with Paul Quinn last week - fingers crossed I suppose!!

I should just stick to your guns - perhaps it might be worth a final call to Paul Quinn on Monday to explain your position on the interest dispute. I should explain to him that you'll not entertain anything less than full settlement (including statutory 8% calculated to settlement date) before Friday, and that it should be in writing to arrive by Thursday's post, or you'll see them at the hearing :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

gjindancer, I just wanted to add here that Barclays called me about six times before they finally settled on a Friday, when I was due in court the following Tuesday. In their initial calls they were very adamant that they WOULD NOT pay me the full amount, that their partial offer was very reasonable, blah blah, that I would lose in court etc. etc.

I listened politely, and simply said that we can dance around legalities and issues all we like in court, I don't want to discuss all this over a phone; We'll let the judge decide; Please only call me if you are willing to settle in full etc.

They soon got the message, because on the final call, when he made me yet another partial offer, I said 'You are wasting my time. My position is perfectly clear. Unless you are making the full offer, I will see you in court.' He (Anthony Lombardi) conceded and asked me what figure would I settle at? I gave him all the figures up-to-date (not forgetting court fee, AQ fee, Interest, daily interest) and he settled there and then.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you have to play them at their game. They will keep calling you to get you nervous, and make you fold. You have to stick to your guns, don't bother getting into any discussions and make them understand that you will leave all discussions for court and the judge. The minute they realise you're not going to give in...they will fold themselves :)

HTHs

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

My case is not until 13th April and I am reading these threads with great interest. Stick to your guns, I will most certainly be taking the last piece of advice, be polite but adamant, after this is our money!!

Captital One :) :Settled in full at LBA £676.00

Barclays 1 :rolleyes:

05/01/06.

Court date set 13th April

Barclays 2 :rolleyes:

Barclay Card::p

Monument: :p

All my cases are being heard at the same time for 2.5 hours

I've now had a letter from Barclays Legal offering me £4000, ignoring court costs and interest on penalties - and its from Paul Quinn. My court case is this friday - If I write back it will take to long - if I phone I'll be taking to Paul Quinn and he'll be asking me for the spreadsheet and contesting my interest again!!

They are running out of time faster than I'd care.. Eek! I suppose I have to put my poker face on..

Dan

Dan, if this was me, and I am no expert, I would phone him today, now and state you want all the costs, interest etc. I would remind him he has already had the schedule of charges and can there for work it out from there, the formula for working out the interest is =(C13*0.00022)*E13 on an excel spreadsheet, I would tell him I do not need to know how this works, I just use excel as do many people and the formula was given by CAG. Having read your postings, you stated as far back as Nov 06 that you had concerns understanding the spreadsheet and I believe that Mr Quin has read the threads and it picking on your weakness, as he sees it. Is the £4000 correct without the extra's if it is then just keep going with the interest and court charges.

Well done so far

Maria

05/01/06.

Dan, if this was me, and I am no expert, I would phone him today, now and state you want all the costs, interest etc. I would remind him he has already had the schedule of charges and can there for work it out from there, the formula for working out the interest is =(C13*0.00022)*E13 on an excel spreadsheet, I would tell him I do not need to know how this works, I just use excel as do many people and the formula was given by CAG. Having read your postings, you stated as far back as Nov 06 that you had concerns understanding the spreadsheet and I believe that Mr Quin has read the threads and it picking on your weakness, as he sees it. Is the £4000 correct without the extra's if it is then just keep going with the interest and court charges.

Well done so far

Maria

Dan, sorry I kept hitting the wrong key on my laptop which kept submitting my reply, so it may have appeared disjointed, let us know if you phone him.

05/01/06.

Well said Maria........Dan, phone him up and stick to your guns,simple. Say,If you do not pay the full amount I will see you in court. Do not get dragged into explaining the spreadshheets.

He will capitulate I would put my house on it!!!!

I've now had a letter from Barclays Legal offering me £4000, ignoring court costs and interest on penalties - and its from Paul Quinn.

Then that's not a full settlement of your claim :)

My court case is this friday - If I write back it will take to long - if I phone I'll be taking to Paul Quinn and he'll be asking me for the spreadsheet and contesting my interest again!!
Either write back (special delivery so he gets it tomorrow) or call him to reject it and tell him that you want the full amount of charges, overdraft interest, court costs & 8% interest to date and (if necessary) explain the interest calculations as per my previous post - otherwise you'll see them in court on Friday :)

Cheers

Michael

I emailed him the following:

Hi Paul, I have received a letter from you dated 19th of March offering £4000 as a full and final settlement for my claim - however I respectfully decline this offer and do not accept that it represents the full amount owed.

As outlined in my Particulars of Claim, the penalty charges and interest taken from me, along with the interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act amounts to £4653.18;

However with courts costs of £220 and a daily interest on s69 since I made the claim of £82 the full total of my claim is: £4955.18

This claim will continue until payment is made in full.

As you requested I have attached the spreadsheet I used to work out interest on penalties, which is freely available at www.consumeractiongroup.org, and below I have included an explanation of how the calculations are made. I am providing this information in good will and I am not prepared to discuss the details of my interest on penalties any further unless in a court of law.

Alternatively, should you wish to settle my claim in full, then please forward the balance of the claim £4955.18 without further conditions and I will inform the court that the claim is settled.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Mr gjindancer

An explanation of the calculations used on the Complex Bank Charges Spreadsheet:

"You have to enter the estimated average overdrawn balance on the spreadsheet first of all, then you can enter any amount of interest-free overdraft that you are allowed, and the spreadsheet subtracts that from the average O/D balance. This gives the estimated average amount of overdraft that you will have been charged overdraft interest on for that month. Call this amount "O."

The accumulated total of any penalty charges made so far is a part of this overdrawn amount, so we'll call this "P."

The spreadsheet divides O by P, to give the apportionment ratio "R."

The total overdraft interest charged for that month we will call "I" - and this is entered on the sheet by us.

The apportioned amount of that interest - "A" (which is the part you are claiming) is then calculated by the spreadsheet. It does this by dividing the total interest "I" by the apportionment ratio "R."

Brilliant.

05/01/06.

Can you imagine him in his office. Hey Jo can you have a look at this for me I have,nt a clue what she is talking about. Nah nor me phone the accountant !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird. I had a call today from Charlie Sparling at their legal Dept offering full and final settlement and wanted confirmed figures.

I gave him a 'near as damnit' figure over the phone as I was not at my desk and was greeted by an email when I got home offering me the amount I had given him over the phone as the final figure!

Im gonna take it. It covers everything :)

Just need to figure out how to ammend his letter as it contains the usual confindentiality bit which obviously I wont accept ;)

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

Nice one fully skinted, well done! I'd cross out the terms bit on their letter - the confidentiality line etc, then sign it and send it back.

'Or you can send your own acceptance letter saying thanks for the offer of xxxx which I accept without any terms attached' or something to that effect :)

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.