How to get a credit card if you live abroad

Cynic1947

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a British citizen resident in the EU. I have a UK bank account/credit card account (shared with my wife) with the Co-operative bank but they keep reducing the credit limit to the point where it's useless for major purchases. I've asked them to increase the limit but they refuse as I don't use the card up to the limit every month. British banks (and financial organisations generally) don't want to know you if you live outside the UK (whatever happened to the Single European Act?).

I'd like a UK credit card as I have a regular UK income. Does anyone know how or where I can get one?

Open an account with you local bank where you now live. That's what I did, was given cheque book and debit card.

You obviously didn't read my question properly; I want a UK account/credit card.

I did read it, once up and running, you apply for a credit card. You already have a uk bank account and trying for a second, while living abroad, might make them think there is an attempt to launder money.

I'm a British citizen resident in the EU. I have a UK bank account/credit card account (shared with my wife) with the Co-operative bank but they keep reducing the credit limit to the point where it's useless for major purchases. I've asked them to increase the limit but they refuse as I don't use the card up to the limit every month. British banks (and financial organisations generally) don't want to know you if you live outside the UK (whatever happened to the Single European Act?).

I'd like a UK credit card as I have a regular UK income. Does anyone know how or where I can get one?

Paying money onto the credit card will increase the credit limit. They won't provide you with increased credit themselves, but there is nothing stopping you putting your own money on the card, so you have a credit balance.

HSBC and other Banks have international type accounts, for UK citizens that live abroad, but wish to hold a UK account.

Your problem is wanting a credit provision in the UK, when if you got into debt, they could not sue you in UK court because you don't live there. It is more complicated and expensive taking you to court outside the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I did read it, once up and running, you apply for a credit card. You already have a uk bank account and trying for a second, while living abroad, might make them think there is an attempt to launder money.

Getting them to think at all would be a start; they don't think, they just tick boxes!