• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just watching Victoria Derbyshire at friends house.

Labour have had it haven't they :(

:/

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. There is a saying, a week is a long time in politics.

Remember back to the early 2000's when the Tories were labelled the 'the dead parrot party'. Labour were in the lead in terms of majority of public support until about 2008. Then the financial crash hit and the Tories managed to persuade the public that Labour caused the worldwide crash and the countries debts. Of couse this is not true.

Labour will recover and could win in 2020, BUT they need to offer something different to the Tories. There is no point presenting the electorate with virtually the same plans as the Tories. Where are the new policy ideas, that the public might support !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

BUT they need to offer something different to the Tories. There is no point presenting the electorate with virtually the same plans as the Tories. Where are the new policy ideas, that the public might support !

Exactly, and all I'm hearing from these 4 is rhetoric and waffle with no substance.

--- avoiding real answers to ANY of the questions.

Now we know the tories avoided answers to MANY questions but Labour appear to have absolutely no real answers - just lots of waffle about what should be not ways to achieve them.

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Exactly, and all I'm hearing from these 4 is rhetoric and waffle with no substance.

Yes, but that is normal after an election defeat. Once a leader is elected they can start to organise the party in a way they think can lead to an election win.

The UK election system is broken, as the government mostly aims policies at those who are likely to vote. The people who vote are those with something to lose. Tories won over 45% of pensioner votes because it was thought that Labour might start to reduce entitlements. Younger people don't bother to vote, if they are not offered something to vote for.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes, but that is normal after an election defeat.

But I think that the last two elections and the continuing crash of support for Labours 'normal' is the issue.

Lets take the very emotive example of the Tories cutting benefits.

Labour say it was done wrong, and I agree, but the simple fact they are saying it should have been done differently rather than Labour INITIATING those changes in a more Social way when they were in power says it all.

That changes were and are needed should be clear to anyone who is not blinded by their own self-interests. Even the Tories implementation is better (for the country as a whole) than leaving it as it was, but Labour should have driven more practical social reforms when they were in power for so long - and they didn't. Mind you there probably would have been uproar from the Labour ranks even for a Labour driven fairer change - so they probably rightly thought they would be in a lose-lose situation.

The Tories have taken the bull by the horns and implemented changes that suites their policies - as they should (be true to their policies and practices).

You WONT see Labour reversing these changes if they do get in, neither did you or would you see Labour introducing such changes.

Both parties are driven by the noisy minorities, there is no-one actually doing what is best for the majority.

.. and regarding young votes - I think the Liberals have introduced them to the lies of politics and painted it darkly for life for all those young Lib voters - and they all have paid for it.

The Tory Legacy

I think the major downfall of labour was it's reluctance to speak about the economy. It was questioned / asked about it for at least a 12 month run up to the election but it just turned the subject to something else.

The way i see it. UK, the same as other countries is going through a period of change, greater than it has seen before. Political parties don't have the answers.

The question is. How can the UK economy earn the money required to pay for all of the various services and infrastructure it needs, to cater for the population ?

UK is part of a global economy, competing for all the raw materials, investment, trade etc. Wages are kept down, because otherwise some companies will invest elsewhere to gain a better return. This is where tax credits came in, to assist people to be able to live. These credits will be removed, quicker than the minimum wage will be increased. This means less spending in the economy, less profitable businesses and less business tax paid. Austerity can cause economies to shrink, when really expansion is the only way to increase revenues to deal with a bigger population.

Why are supermarkets less profitable ? It is not just about competition, as people are spending less. There are more consumers due to population increase. If people have high living costs and wages have not increased to compensate, then they have to cut back on some spending.

The UK needs to build millions of new homes and if government can assist with this, that is the priority. It will stimulate the economy and help everyone.

I think the major downfall of labour was it's reluctance to speak about the economy. It was questioned / asked about it for at least a 12 month run up to the election but it just turned the subject to something else.

I think you are partially, and probably most importantly, right.

But I would actually take it further, despite being what most (including myself) would consider to be a grass roots Labour person - Labour has no plan in which all their rhetoric could actually have a chance of becoming reality. They rely on nasty Tories doing the 'dirty deeds' which is the only way Labour can do what they do - else the nation would be bankrupt.

The Tories have a plan and Vision

Labour has no plan, just Vison (aka illusion)

The Tories have policies, upon which they apply spin to make them palatable to more people

Labour has rhetoric, which sounds socially good but is nothing but spin.

So unless Labour resolve their internal differences to an adequate level, as was done under Blair, they are not just useless, and not only a liability to the country, WE have no clue as to what we should expect from them.

and more than this they need the vision to come up with a viable plan and strategy to implement those policies in a realistic way which WE can believe in.

At the moment all they do is spout the buzzwords

We need :

The Vision

Something concrete not just the words

The Plan

Something, Anything concrete to support the possible implementation of that vision.

Just spouting

We have a vision for a fairer Britain for all

and similar foundation-less, plan-less, meaning-less rhetoric is worth NOTHING.

Not really. There is a saying, a week is a long time in politics.

Remember back to the early 2000's when the Tories were labelled the 'the dead parrot party'. Labour were in the lead in terms of majority of public support until about 2008.

Then the financial crash hit and the Tories managed to persuade the public that Labour caused the worldwide crash and the countries debts. Of couse this is not true.

unclebulgaria67,

Of course it is true that it was Labours fault.

Whoever instigated the things leading up to it, be it Thatcherism, dropping the Gold standard or labour overspending,

... it happened on a LONG Labour watch. So the blame sits with them before anyone or anything else..

The Tory Legacy

Anyway, my personal opinions on the 4 candidates given that my No1 choice isn't running.

Andy Burnham

The definition of what is wrong with labour - all rhetoric but believes what he says

Yvette Cooper

Just does NOT come across as genuine. All fake body language hidden poorly and manipulated poorly, although she will undoubtedly get better at it, but really says FAKE bulls****er to me.

Liz Kendall

Wolf in sheeps clothing - perhaps Labours Margaret Thatcher with a social conscience.

Jeremy Corbin

The true social left, but perhaps now is not the time for this - maybe deputy?

.... Now I think Harriet Harmon and Liz Kendall would be fearsome, but would need someone like Jeremy Corbin.

The Tory Legacy

I think you are partially, and probably most importantly, right.

But I would actually take it further, despite being what most (including myself) would consider to be a grass roots Labour person - Labour has no plan in which all their rhetoric could actually have a chance of becoming reality. They rely on nasty Tories doing the 'dirty deeds' which is the only way Labour can do what they do - else the nation would be bankrupt.

The Tories have a plan and Vision

Labour has no plan, just Vison (aka illusion)

The Tories have policies, upon which they apply spin to make them palatable to more people

Labour has rhetoric, which sounds socially good but is nothing but spin.

So unless Labour resolve their internal differences to an adequate level, as was done under Blair, they are not just useless, and not only a liability to the country, WE have no clue as to what we should expect from them.

and more than this they need the vision to come up with a viable plan and strategy to implement those policies in a realistic way which WE can believe in.

At the moment all they do is spout the buzzwords

We need :

The Vision

Something concrete not just the words

The Plan

Something, Anything concrete to support the possible implementation of that vision.

Just spouting

We have a vision for a fairer Britain for all

and similar foundation-less, plan-less, meaning-less rhetoric is worth NOTHING.

unclebulgaria67,

Of course it is true that it was Labours fault.

Whoever instigated the things leading up to it, be it Thatcherism, dropping the Gold standard or labour overspending,

... it happened on a LONG Labour watch. So the blame sits with them before anyone or anything else..

So you blame the British Prime Minister at the start of WW2, rather than Hitler and the Nazis ? That is the what you are saying. Also you blame British PM's before WW2 for not dealing with the situation i.e to stop the rise of the Nazis.

Sh*t happens, but you cannot always blame the person in charge at the time. The fault is 100% with the Banks for running such risks.

So you blame the British Prime Minister at the start of WW2, rather than Hitler and the Nazis ? That is the what you are saying. Also you blame British PM's before WW2 for not dealing with the situation i.e to stop the rise of the Nazis.

Sh*t happens, but you cannot always blame the person in charge at the time. The fault is 100% with the Banks for running such risks.

"... it happened on a LONG Labour watch. So the blame sits with them before anyone or anything else.."

Perhaps I should have said alongside the bankers rather than assuming that was a given - all of whom have escaped any real blame or retribution.

Banking regulation is the duty and responsibility of the government of the day no matter who DE-regulated it, particularly when Labour in their long watch

COULD have changed those regulations,

and clearly SHOULD have

I'm still waiting for senior bankers to be penalised in any real way by ANY government

- again the governments fault - Labour, Conservative and Lib-Dem.

The Tory Legacy

Anyway, my personal opinions on the 4 candidates given that my No1 choice isn't running.

Andy Burnham

The definition of what is wrong with labour - all rhetoric but believes what he says - So did Tony Blair, look where that got us !!

Yvette Cooper

Just does NOT come across as genuine. All fake body language hidden poorly and manipulated poorly, although she will undoubtedly get better at it, but really says FAKE bulls****er to me. - This was the lady along with her OH that switched properties in order to maximise THEIR take from the government purse !!

Liz Kendall

Wolf in sheeps clothing - perhaps Labours Margaret Thatcher with a social conscience. - We need someone who is up front and honest - not projecting one image and being another.

Jeremy Corbin

The true social left, but perhaps now is not the time for this - maybe deputy? I might like this man, not sure I would vote for him though

.... Now I think Harriet Harmon and Liz Kendall would be fearsome, but would need someone like Jeremy Corbin.

Harriet Harman is a dangerous lady.. to the electorate.. I couldn't care less that she might be the downfall of her party.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

L

"... it happened on a LONG Labour watch. So the blame sits with them before anyone or anything else.."

Perhaps I should have said alongside the bankers rather than assuming that was a given - all of whom have escaped any real blame or retribution.

Banking regulation is the duty and responsibility of the government of the day no matter who DE-regulated it, particularly when Labour in their long watch

COULD have changed those regulations,

and clearly SHOULD have

I'm still waiting for senior bankers to be penalised in any real way by ANY government

- again the governments fault - Labour, Conservative and Lib-Dem.

Agree about the Bankers needing to face investigation and prosecution. I don't blame Labour for lack of regulation, as there was no appetite for additional regulation before the crash. There was a TV programme about the seeds of the crash and it goes back to the 1980's. Had Reagan/Greenspan/Thatcher not encouraged casino Banking, then we would not have ended up in such a mess. Banks would have continued their sober traditions of not taking too much risk.

Harriet Harman is a dangerous lady.. to the electorate.. I couldn't care less that she might be the downfall of her party.

I cannot think of a current Labour MP who would make a great PM. Where is Labours star, with the charismatic appeal to get the electorate listening to them ?

I like Hilary Benn, as i think he is a man of integrity and has some of the communication skills of his father. But whether he has the organisational leader skills, i don't know.

always thought Hilary was a girls name! :-)

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Take yourself back to 1997.

The Tories were written off.

Oh yeah and they just about survived in the last election, had to suffer a coalition.

We haven't seen how their policies will affect people yet. They may have something to say.

Oh and BTW Mrs T and Co, as Uncle B says, created irresponsible lending and casino bankers along with the yankies.

Oh and BTW Mrs T and Co, as Uncle B says, created irresponsible lending and casino bankers along with the yankies.

That was PART of the cause in my view,

as was dropping the gold standard

... as was the inaction of the Labour government when they had the seats and votes to do something about it- but didn't, and during that same period the fidding and self serving of the Bankers reached absolutely epic proportions!

So if no one, even apparently hardcore Labour apologists, are cheered by any of the candidates, what hope for Labour in the real world?

or could it be that catering for the hardcore left is/would be the death of the Labour party?

Any suggestions?

The Tory Legacy

Labour need massive organisational change in the party around the country. They cannot compete with the Tories financially, even with Trade Union money. Somehow they have got to create a mass membership party, which is more democratic than it is at the moment. This will have to be done through online social media, where members can influence the policies of the party.

The other issue, is that people may want different policies in different parts of the country. In Scotland, there should be a separate Labour party that is dedicated to rebuilding its grassroots support. SNP have become the party for Scotland and Labour controlled from London will have extreme difficulty in changing this.

So to summarise, modernisation and more direct accountability to the public is the key to Labour having a chance at future elections. The better start soon, as it will take years of hard work to do what is required.

So to summarise, modernisation and more direct accountability to the public is the key to Labour having a chance at future elections. The better start soon, as it will take years of hard work to do what is required.

Have you any idea what Labour REALLY stand for in terms of actual policies supported be even outline plans of how to implement them? Let alone party structure changes?

I don't.

The Tory Legacy

Have you any idea what Labour REALLY stand for in terms of actual policies supported be even outline plans of how to implement them? Let alone party structure changes?

I don't.

Get the party structure right first. Decide what drives the Labour party e.g social fairness, consumer/workers protection, state playing a role in providing infrastructure needs.

The BIG difference between Labour and Tories is public versus private. The Tories believe in the private sector deciding markets with as little intervention as possible. Labour are interested in the public sector playing a role and that the private sector markets won't always deliver for the country what it needs.

Labour could invest in council housing held in public ownership. The Tories would get private companies to build and own social housing. That is a difference.

Labour could start a state investment Bank to invest in things which private Banks refuse to lend to. The Tories would never set up a state owned Bank. The Bank could utilise experienced business people to help them look at the business plans being proposed to make sure the risk was acceptable.

Just a few ideas, but Labour could easily offer different policies to the Tories, which the public would support.

I don't.

It doesn't stand for anything any longer. Long gone are the days of 'are you with me brothers', it's more now about 'what would be popular to say to the public to get them to vote for me'.

I'm afraid all parties are the same, and although all of them would like to be able to offer low taxes and high wages, the true loyalty to the country and it's people has faded and it's more about 'me' first, country second.

Sadly, that would seem to be exactly the case. Even more so with Labour than the Tories.

And utterly damning of the Labour party.

:(

The Tory Legacy

It doesn't stand for anything any longer. Long gone are the days of 'are you with me brothers', it's more now about 'what would be popular to say to the public to get them to vote for me'.

I'm afraid all parties are the same, and although all of them would like to be able to offer low taxes and high wages, the true loyalty to the country and it's people has faded and it's more about 'me' first, country second.

The same in the US. A choice between Hillary Clinton and whoever the republicans nominate. Politicians are generally hated the world over, by most people.

Personally i would like to see an end to big political parties. I would like to see many more independent MP's, that vote on the merits of the case put to them. Also there is no reason why there cannot be online referendums on some issues.

I would scrap Westminster and that format of politics. I would replace with a modern parliament elsewhere, where they actually debate issues properly and not play games.

Sadly, that would seem to be exactly the case. Even more so with Labour than the Tories.

And utterly damning of the Labour party.

:(

The Tories are there to do what their vested interests tell them. Labour under Blair got far too close to vested interests and by-passed parliament with sofa government at no. 10.

Both Tories and Labour need to realise they are in government to serve the people who vote or who can vote.

Personally i would like to see an end to big political parties. I would like to see many more independent MP's, that vote on the merits of the case put to them. Also there is no reason why there cannot be online referendums on some issues.

I would scrap Westminster and that format of politics. I would replace with a modern parliament elsewhere, where they actually debate issues properly and not play games.

Seconded with utmost enthusiasm.

The Tory Legacy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks