WP signing up to actions/directions without your agreement?

slargfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I've been on the Work Program for about a month, they're useless, but it's something I can put up with. For reference I only claim standard JSA.

But that said, I've been sent (via post) of an action that I never actually made any formal agreement to. So I wonder, are WP providers legally able to make applications to anything (job fairs, training courses, or even actual jobs) without discussing them with you and without you agreeing to it?

And what would be the best course of action to challenge (or prevent) any of these that possibly come up in the future?

Cheers

-slargfish

I wonder, are WP providers legally able to make applications to anything (job fairs, training courses, or even actual jobs) without discussing them with you and without you agreeing to it?

Unless you can show that what is being asked of you is unreasonable, then yes they can mandate you to carry out such tasks, obviously if you do not agree then they cannot force you to do anything but it comes at a cost in the form of a benefit sanction.

And what would be the best course of action to challenge (or prevent) any of these that possibly come up in the future?

By following the complaints procedure else go out in a blaze of glory.

Unless you can show that what is being asked of you is unreasonable, then yes they can mandate you to carry out such tasks, obviously if you do not agree then they cannot force you to do anything but it comes at a cost in the form of a benefit sanction.

I consider it unreasonable that they can make an application for you period, at least without discussing it with you, and offer no information as to what's going to happen at the appointment.

Though for now, I'll just put up with it. Then discuss it with my JCP adviser, who's strangely enough an understanding guy. He gets it that certain things that are normal for some positions, are entirely useless for me given the fields I'm qualified for and doesn't ask me to enquire about them nor does he look any himself. I'll also have to bring it up with the WP providers themselves.

We'll see what happens.

You have to take the job application or interview at face value. You can't say 'I'm a rocket scientist' and will not consider any other work. There is no reason why you can't take that job in a pasty shop until such time as there is a vacancy for your field.

You could, however, refuse say a linesman with BT or an electrical company that would have you climbing poles and towers if you suffered for Acrophobia or vertigo and it would be unreasonable to expect you to.