Currys/PC World Faulty Laptop

MCFC36
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I am just back from spending 2 and half hours in a store arguing about the Sale of Goods Act.

I bought a Laptop online, which keeps freezing, so I phoned Customer Services and asked how I go about returning it, I was advised to just call into my local store and they will sort it all out. So off I go to said local store, only to be met with abuse by the General Manager. Anyway, the guy on the 'KnowHow' desk claims the Laptop is not faulty at all and therefore I can't have my refund, so I quote the SoGA and he said hes not allowed to talk to me about that, so I ask for the Manager, he comes over and again refuses to speak to me about this. He phones Customer Services and I speak to them and am put through to their 'Legal' Department, who also dismiss my claim, even though I quoted the SoGA to them. I also asked them for a Letter confirming why they were refusing my refund and why they think they are above the Law but they even refused to do that.

So I am now left with a faulty Laptop and no refund. Where do I stand on this? Can I pursue a Criminal case under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008?

Thanks in advance.

Your rights under SOGA is to allow the retailer the opportunity to properly inspect the Laptop and for them to repair, replace or refund if either the first two options is not available. They should have offered to take a look at the Laptop and for you to come back to the store later to see what they found out.

You would not have been able to Just go in store for a replacement Or refund. The customer service telephone operator you spoke to appears to have given you misleading advice.

Suggest you get on the phone to their head office to register a complaint about your experience.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have you run the diagnostic software on the laptop to see whether it can diagnose and fix the problem ? On Windows systems, you have options to find and fix faults, find software conflicts.

When you buy a new Laptop you often have to connect to the internet to download the latest updates and there can be loads of these. The pre installed software on the Laptop can be months out of date.

Can you describe the freeze problems you are having. When do these occur ? There are a few IT experts on this site who may be able to suggest solutions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The guy in the store ran some sort of diagnostic test, and said he found no fault.

When I am browsing or just on Facebook/Email etc, the Mouse starts to not respond and then the whole comp just freezes, I try pressing esc but nothing works, I had to force shut down on it to get it working again properly. This happened 3 times, I have not used it since.

virus

download and run combofix

then use glary utils to clean the bloatware off it

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

or its wanting to do windows updates

and in needs to be left on a wired Ethernet connection for a couple of hours

when did you purchased it

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I purchased it about 2 weeks ago but was on Holiday last week so couldn't return it. It was also doing this from brand new, can a virus be on it from scratch?

The guy in the store ran some sort of diagnostic test, and said he found no fault.

When I am browsing or just on Facebook/Email etc, the Mouse starts to not respond and then the whole comp just freezes, I try pressing esc but nothing works, I had to force shut down on it to get it working again properly. This happened 3 times, I have not used it since.

Which Laptop is this ? Windows or Mac ?

Which internet browser are you using ?

When this problems occurs, see if you can identify what is running. If you have Windows updates, system updates for Laptop and internet data being loaded all at the same time, it may well freeze.

I have an Ipad, which has the same problem you mention. Sometimes you have to use a different internet browser, switch off automatic updates and don't load internet pages while updates are in progress. If it freezes again, leave it alone for say 10 minutes without tapping any buttons. It may unfreeze.

Another issue i find, is the amount of advertising on some internet sites, causes freezes, Downloading an add blocker might help.

It could well be a software problem that can be resolved.

I purchased it about 2 weeks ago but was on Holiday last week so couldn't return it. It was also doing this from brand new, can a virus be on it from scratch?

What anti virus or internet security is it running ?

I think you should try to go online, let any updates finish going through, before you attempt to use it.

What anti virus or internet security is it running ?

I think you should try to go online, let any updates finish going through, before you attempt to use it.

Its an Acer Aspire Laptop, running Windows 8.1, it has McAfee Antivirus on it.

Its an Acer Aspire Laptop, running Windows 8.1, it has McAfee Antivirus on it.

Think you will find this a common issue. Someone posted recently to say their laptop with Windows 8.1 and McAfee was taking 15 minutes to load a website, freezes, crashes etc. They tried to take it back to store without success as the laptop was not faulty. It is a software issue and there are fixes posted to sites online.

There are various computer blogs with fixes and youtube videos.

E.g

Give it a wired connection. To the internet

Log into it and GOTO the windows update site or click the link from the internet explorer tools icon

Check for and install all updates

Then restart and go back to it again

Till it has no more to update

If you want help

Stick team viewer on it and pm id and password

Dx

and they

Sometimes you have to use a different internet browser, switch off automatic updates and don't load internet pages while updates are in progress.

If you have to do that to a new computer, then frankly it is not fit for purpose. Even an Atom chip should be able to cope with that.

If you have to do that to a new computer, then frankly it is not fit for purpose. Even an Atom chip should be able to cope with that.

I believe it is not to do with the laptop, but the settings in Windows 8.1. It works normally, until you connect to the internet, when settings make it very slow or it freezes. Once the settings in Windows are corrected, you have a laptop that works properly.

I was actually talking about my ipad mini which struggles with internet, as the various mobile browsers have bugs. But the OP's problem is Windows settings.