Jump to content

Electric and gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi caggers,


wonder if anyone can help me,


ive just started renting a property. (yesterday)



I need to sort out the gas, electric, water and council tax (council tax paid up until 01/08/15) I've never done this before.


Do i simply go on a comparison website and find the cheapest quote? also is fixed rate better and do i need to know current readings?


your advices would be very much appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Gas &Elec you have to arrange with the curent supplier to the house. So you need to find out who this is. Letting agent may know ? Or i think there is a central number you can phone to find out.


You only need stay with existing company for a short period at their normal rate or tariff you want to sign up to and then you can arrange what supplier you like.


I always find this odd, but it is because the current listed supplier will know the last meter reading given to them. When you give them the current meter reading, they can bill the property owner for the use in between and not you.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steer clear of Npower.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scottish Power are worse than Npower and that is a challenge.

You can phone any utility company and give them your address and the meter number and they will tell you who your current supplier is. You can then switch to anyone you like and the migration will take place in a little over 3 weeks. Normally this goes smoothly but some suppliers (as above) will get it all wrong so make sure you have your meter numbers and the opening and closing meter readings written down somewhere safe.

Let your local council know you have moved in, get yourself on the electoral roll (makes life easier regarding other matters) and they will send you a bill for the remainder of the year. If the property has single occupancy let them know so your 25% reduction is applied immediately.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...