Import handling charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't really find a match-fit

I imported some goods from the US a while back and they were delivered straight away by DHL International. Some time after this, I received mails saying that I owed them for Import Duties & VAT.

I rang them and the person I spoke to said that DHL would never under any circumstances release any shipment that required payment(s) without that payment first being made in full. He advised me to ignore any future mails.

Mails kept coming but I ignored them.

I have now had two correspondences from an outfit called controlaccount plc who are claiming to be acting on behalf of DHL International for the recovery of monies owed. Here is the first letter:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

DHL International (UK) Limited have recently written to you in relation to an outstanding invoice for Import Duties & VAT.

According to their records this invoice still shows as unpaid therefore this matter has now been passed to us for collection. An administration charge of 7.5 has now been levied in addition to the original invoice sum.

The sum was incurred and levied by HM Customs & Excise upon your shipment arriving in the UK. As the recipient of these goods and with the sender not having nominated to pay the required duty, you legally became liable for these charges.

We confirm that under current regulations the cost of delivery was added to the declared value of the product to make the shipment 'value for customs'. In addition a VAT value adjustment may also have been calculated which represents the cost of the transport with the EU borders.

Further information with regard to Import Duty & VAT invoices can also be found within the 'Information tab' on our client's website at (link removed).

We must now insist that payment of this invoice is made immediately to us. Payment can be made online via credit/debit card, Paypal or one of our payment methods detailed overleaf.

DO NOT CONTACT DHL DIRECT - we are their appointed agents. We can deal with any queries that you may have.

In the even that no response or payment is received within the next seven (7) days, this matter will be passed for further action

Yours sincerely

Controlacount plc

There is a second correspondence which I can type in if you wish to see it but what do you think so far? The whole thing reads vaguely and I get the impression that they know they don't have anything and are trying the 'vaguely legal-looking' approach in an attempt to intimidate

Edited by wild_goose

Letter No 2 (again typed verbatim):

Act now - this won't go away

Outstanding Import Duty & VAT

Our records show that despite our recent communications, the Invoice in relation to Import Duty & VAT remains outstanding.

We now have no alternative but to pass this account to our Legal Department for assessment. To prevent potential Litigation being commenced, you must settle the above sum within fourteen (14) days. Payment can be made online via credit/debit card, Paypal or one of our payment methods detailed overleaf.

Should you have any queries regarding this matter then please contact our offices on the above number.

Further information with regard to Import Duty & VAT invoices can also be found within the 'Information tab' on our client's website (website removed, I don't have enough posts).

In the event that no response or payment is received within the next fourteen (14) days this matter will be passed to our Legal Department. At this time litigation may commence with a County Court Judgment sought. The costs of these proceedings would increase your current liability and with Judgment in place, would allow enforcement to be taken.

This is your final opportunity to remedy this matter prior to further action being taken.

Controlaccount plc

Edited by wild_goose

Its control account.... Trust me... They are toothless...

How much is it for? I have never heard of them doing anything to anyone.

With the 7.5 (I'm assuming pounds sterling) it comes to £33.82

Ignore them

They have no legal powers whatsoever

They are a dcaa and not bailiffs

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There are similar threads regarding this type of problem. You might want to have a quick look to see how they have responded.

I find it very strange that they have released the goods without first obtaining any payment. I have purchased items from the USA and Canada, and have always been forced to cough up before they would deliver.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

...I find it very strange that they have released the goods without first obtaining any payment. I have purchased items from the USA and Canada, and have always been forced to cough up before they would deliver.

That is my concern for the most part

I buy the same item regularly from the US and that was the first time they (appeared to) waive the import malarky. I was told categorically by a DHL staff member that they wouldn't release any shipment under any circumstances prior to monies due being paid in full, which sounded fair enough to me so I left it at that - I didn't owe them anything.

Nothwithstanding that, it was nobody's fault but their own if that is precisely what they did.

They could reclaim the money from HMRC and then you would have to pay them and they wont be forgiving.

Lets be clear about something, if you import goods from abroad YOU are responsible for paying the import tariffs and VAT. Most shipping companies clear items and then charge you afterwards otherwise they would have a warehouse full of stuff that they cant deliver. Basically they have done you a favour and now you arent paying what you owe in tax. If they do decide to take the matter further you wont have a leg to stand on so I would be getting back to DHL (not credit control co ) and sorting the problem out or you may well find that the next time you order something that is due to be delivered by DHL you wont get it

What happens if someone sends you a box with the customs label it with a huge commercial value printed on it. Are you still automatically liable for customs charges on it? Even if you didn't order it and the box contains nothing.

What happens if someone sends you a box with the customs label it with a huge commercial value printed on it. Are you still automatically liable for customs charges on it? Even if you didn't order it and the box contains nothing.

You can refuse it on delivery when you get a box with a huge value printed on it that you aren't expecting.

If you are expecting a box with a huge value & it turns out to be empty:

1) chase the sender

2) reclaim the duty (or arrange to be exempted when they send the items you have already paid the duty for).

• 1 month later...

No, you are not if you refuse to accept delivery. If you do accept the box then you do become legally liable and without a leg to stand on - except to sue the sender.

I purchased some Bose Speakers on EBAY last month and paid through pay-pal. They were coming from America

They handle everything, they work out any duty, customs clearance etc. You make one payment.

PayPal then pay the seller and the balance to the shipping company direct

The buyer does not have to worry about anything, mind you this was eBay