Should I be paying council tax?

alpo287
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm in a couple with kids on income support and carer allowance and I noticed that in every single 'benefit calculator' I did online it says 'You shouldn't have to pay council tax as you qualify for full council tax support'. In the previous 2 properties I have lived in covering about the last 3 years we got the full council tax support and the letters said 'support scheme vulnerable' as the reason why, however in this current property they've suddenly adjusted it and said we do have some to pay.

The previous properties were private rental properties and this one is not, is that the reason?

It's only a fairly small amount per year to pay but I was just wondering why for years we had the full council tax support then all of a sudden there is a top up to pay? I rang them up just to enquire and they said they were baffled and have no idea either?

Most councils now charge something. So whatever benefits you are on or however low the income you are on, you are likely to have to pay something. You have to complete a form and they assess how much.

If you cannot make a payment due, you must advise the council straightaway, otherwise they will get a liability order, passing it out for enforcements agents to visit you if necessary. They would chase the full amount, plus the agents fees of £310. You would get a letter from the council first that they were applying for a liability order and you would have chance to resolve. But if you ignored it, the cost with agents fees becomes more of an issue.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I know that most people on benefits have to pay some council tax now, but the part that I'm confused about is that we have been receiving full council tax support for nearly 3 years now including since that policy came in, but all of a sudden there is a requirement to pay some despite nothing changing in my personal circumstances. There is no bedroom tax on the property.

Affording to pay it is not an issue but I would like to know the reason for no longer receiving the full amount of council tax support as the letter/bill doesn't say

Is your youngest child older than 5 or 6 now? I think you can only get full council tax relief now if you have a child younger than 5/6 or you have someone in your household who is in the SG ESA.

I could be wrong but I am sure I read that these were the only reasons why any household gets full council tax relief.

Is your youngest child older than 5 or 6 now? I think you can only get full council tax relief now if you have a child younger than 5/6 or you have someone in your household who is in the SG ESA.

I could be wrong but I am sure I read that these were the only reasons why any household gets full council tax relief.

Both my children are under 5. It's just weird because we always received full council tax relief over about the last 3 years and the decision letters always gave 'support scheme vulnerable' as the reason for this, but all of a sudden there is an 'amount payable by you' figure there despite circumstances and benefits remaining exactly the same. The only change there has been in our circumstances during this time is moving from private rental to social housing.

the first thing to check is that you have been awarded CTR from the start of your liability, as most common reason for a bill is periods where CTR has not been awarded

if that is not the problem....

each council has a different scheme, some offer support up to the full charge, some offer only partial support - without knowing which council or scheme it is impossible to guess - your council should have their scheme on their website - but they can be hard work to understand - other than that put a request in writing for an explanation of your award and why there is a charge to pay

• Haha 1

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Since they did away will council tax benefit, i have had to pay something, regardless of if i should of done or not, and that is with an income of only £73.10 esa at pre assessment rate, they typically want 22% of the CT bill, i have managed to get this reduced by applying for discretionary housing /council tax hardship fund help. but our council will only award 6mths at a time,

I don't think it's right or fair those on poultry amounts of benefits like me should have to pay anything

the first thing to check is that you have been awarded CTR from the start of your liability, as most common reason for a bill is periods where CTR has not been awarded

if that is not the problem....

each council has a different scheme, some offer support up to the full charge, some offer only partial support - without knowing which council or scheme it is impossible to guess - your council should have their scheme on their website - but they can be hard work to understand - other than that put a request in writing for an explanation of your award and why there is a charge to pay

Do you mean from the start of the tenancy on the property? For the most current property it says we have to pay some from the first letter they sent along with the housing benefit decision letter. The confusion for me is that for about 3 years in previously privately rented accommodation we have been on something called the vulnerable support scheme which I don't even know what that is but we haven't been liable to pay anything towards council tax because of that, then all of a sudden once the claim is transferred over to social housing we have an amount to pay and there is no mention anywhere at all of this vulnerable scheme we have been on previously. Birmingham is the council in question

this should tell you if you are entitled to 100% support and how to challenge if you think you should be.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/counciltaxsupport

3 of those stipulations listed there apply to me, that's why I don't understand why all of a sudden contributory payments are required towards the council tax bill. When I rang them up about it she had no idea either and the only explanation she could offer is that perhaps because we are now getting full housing benefit and a cheaper rent pcm than at previous properties that could be the reason, i.e instead of topping up rent with a private LL we top up the council tax with a social LL instead, but I can't see any mention of the type of tenancy you may have or anything related to it on that link. I am going to write to them for the reason, way more than a month has passed since the date on the letter though

3 of those stipulations listed there apply to me, that's why I don't understand why all of a sudden contributory payments are required towards the council tax bill. When I rang them up about it she had no idea either and the only explanation she could offer is that perhaps because we are now getting full housing benefit and a cheaper rent pcm than at previous properties that could be the reason, i.e instead of topping up rent with a private LL we top up the council tax with a social LL instead, but I can't see any mention of the type of tenancy you may have or anything related to it on that link. I am going to write to them for the reason, way more than a month has passed since the date on the letter though

Request an any time revision of the decision not to give you 100% council tax reduction. As there has been an error there is no time limit to request this.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Request an any time revision of the decision not to give you 100% council tax reduction. As there has been an error there is no time limit to request this.

any time revision process related to council tax benefit which was abolished in 2013

Stage 1 - GRIEVANCE

for Council Tax Reduction disputes, you need to submit a grievance against the decision to the billing authority - they then have 2 months to respond

Stage 2 - APPEAL

if they reply to your grievance within 2 months and you are not happy with response, you have 2 further months to appeal to Valuation Tribunal

if they do not respond within 2 months, you can appeal directly to Valuation Tribunal up to 4 months after date you originally submitted your grievance

• Haha 1

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

any time revision process related to council tax benefit which was abolished in 2013

Stage 1 - GRIEVANCE

for Council Tax Reduction disputes, you need to submit a grievance against the decision to the billing authority - they then have 2 months to respond

Stage 2 - APPEAL

if they reply to your grievance within 2 months and you are not happy with response, you have 2 further months to appeal to Valuation Tribunal

if they do not respond within 2 months, you can appeal directly to Valuation Tribunal up to 4 months after date you originally submitted your grievance

thanks for the correction and update id6052 :)

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop