11k Halifax Visa debt, now live in Canada.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For a family member.... Who now lives in Newfoundland Canada, moving to BC next year.

He has an £11k Visa debt with Halifax, he wants to know in as much detail as possible,

what would happen if he simply stopped paying it in order to concentrate on more important

Canadian debts. He doesn't intend returning to the UK ever, and is now a full Canadian citizen.

Thanks in advance.

Hello DMD!

Shallowfax are my fave bank!

IMO, let sleeping dogs lie, do they know his current whereabouts?

And the usual Q's,

When taken out, last time paid, PPI charges etc to reclaim?

I managed to leave them with circa 35k of debt, and now I'm banking back with them, go figure?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

He's currently paying them, they have his current address in Paradise NL.

The account will no doubt be laden with all kinds of charges and interest on

historical charges, but he's far too lazy to do things head on like I would, he

just wants rid as cheap as possible even if it means not telling them when he

moves to BC...

I've no intention of teaching him how to avoid this debt, I simply want to know,

given the facts, what will happen if he just stops paying them, and eventually

moves to BC next year..... Like I've said, he's not intersted in his credit file as

he's got no intention of ever returning to the UK.

Thank you BB... :-)

They would need a UK CCJ to enforce it in Canada. Without a CCJ they are b*ggered ! They cannot issue a UK court claim against a non resident and they cannot go directly to a Canadian court.

The only slight possibility is a DCA buying the debt, being given the last UK address and them issuing a court claim, won by default. They are then traced in Canada. Then it becomes a bit messy with a set aside needed or some objection to a Canadian court if they approached them for enforcement. A bit unlikely though.

Stop paying and then choose whether to write to explain to Halifax. It can be a good thing to keep creditors informed of address changes, so they know what Halifax are up to, even if it is a hassle. Then whatever happens, they can say they did inform Halifax.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Cheers Unc.....

Anymore thoughts ?

If they have Canadian debts to service,then as resident of Canada those would be a priority. If they only have a residency visa, think they would have to be careful, just in case it impacts on them being able to stay there. So defo stop paying UK debts, if there is any slight chance of Canadian residency being affected by Canadian debts.

If they don't provide their new address in Canada, letters from Halifax may go to the new occupants of their previous address and they should think whether they want private matters being seen by others. It may be sensible to give Halifax the new address and to be open with them i.e cannot service the debt due to financial situation in Canada, therefore payments stopped.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

They're FULL Canadian Citizens now Unc....

If that is the case, not to worry too much. Halifax are stuffed, if they stop paying. As mentioned, the only slight worry is a DCA not knowing they are abroad, getting a default judgement which is transferred to a Canadian court. For this reason, i think it may be wise to make sure Halifax record the new Canadian address and to confirm it in writing.

I do not know if this site will be of any use.There is a chance that someone on the site,has experienced the same problem as your member of family.

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/search.php?searchid=7350281

There is also this one.

http://www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/debt-collection/

Regards,John.

Thanks again Unc, and John.. The account moved with them 8 years ago and he's been servicing the acount since from

two different addresses now in Paradise, Newfoundland. He's possibly even getting statements at his current NL address.