housing benefit reductions considered

estellyn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33353318

I have a better idea - how about we start actually controlling private rent levels, which is what is driving the increase in housing benefit.

But no, let the well off keep the money and penalise the poor instead.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I cannot see this being implemented as is else it would discriminate against single people who would feel the full force of these payments while couples and single parents share the burden.

Council tax single people get a reduction so at least it is fair in that way.

It could be a scare tactic so that when they do announce the new budget and do not include these measures it will soften the blow and we can all breathe a sigh of relief and not think too much about the other nasty cuts they employ.

It's quite elegant, actually. It manages to screw the poor without interrupting the flow of taxpayers' cash to private landlords.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It's quite elegant, actually. It manages to screw the poor without interrupting the flow of taxpayers' cash to private landlords.

Indeed, very true! And the poor person on benefits who's having to pay some council tax, their 10% rent contribution, their bedroom tax, their energy bill (as they're also being screwed by the energy companies), their water bill, I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to be able to afford to eat - especially single people and couples without kids - and that's without the costs of jobseeking if they're looking for work. Do you think anyone at the DWP actually did the sums from the perspective of a claimant?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Indeed, very true! And the poor person on benefits who's having to pay some council tax, their 10% rent contribution, their bedroom tax, their energy bill (as they're also being screwed by the energy companies), their water bill, I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to be able to afford to eat - especially single people and couples without kids - and that's without the costs of jobseeking if they're looking for work. Do you think anyone at the DWP actually did the sums from the perspective of a claimant?

I'm not sure that anyone at the DWP (at least, not at the higher, policy levels) actually knows or cares much how the numbers will work out for the claimants. The claimants are, after all, merely abstract instruments of policy. Their actual existence as living, breathing human beings with needs such as food and shelter does not seem to be a matter of particular importance.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I'm not sure that anyone at the DWP (at least, not at the higher, policy levels) actually knows or cares much how the numbers will work out for the claimants. The claimants are, after all, merely abstract instruments of policy. Their actual existence as living, breathing human beings with needs such as food and shelter does not seem to be a matter of particular importance.

I believe that many of the DWP/jobcentre staff are doing what they are very clearly instructed to do, and many are distraught at the plight of folkbut are unable to do anything other than what they do.

Not all of course, as in all areas there are people who are both able and willing to ignore others plights and just 'do as they are told'.

BUT Lets put the blame where it belongs - government policy.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Right to Buy started this housing mess, so lets fix the raging inferno by pouring petrol on the flames by expanding right to buy............

:roll:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Right to Buy started this housing mess, so lets fix the raging inferno by pouring petrol on the flames by expanding right to buy............

:roll:

The one that Thatcher introduced and took away the cap on Rent rises!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

the proposal will impac ton both sides of the coin re: Housing Benefit

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Anyone know if this will just affect private tenants or will it also affect those of us in social / council housing?

They say that anyone with an income over £30.000 in the North and £40.000 in London will be effected (that includes social housing.

This is something the Cons have been looking at for some time but because they are now the ruling party expect it to rear its head on budget day,

At the same time they are expected to announce a higher inheritance tax threshold.

Proving that this Government really do not like the less well off do they.

The claimants are, after all, merely abstract instruments of policy.

The term claimant is an abstraction in its self. The DWP also like to use the term cohort along with any number of other titles. This dehumanises the individual and makes it easier to treat him/her/them as a commodity to be used or sold.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

They say that anyone with an income over £30.000 in the North and £40.000 in London will be effected (that includes social housing.

This is something the Cons have been looking at for some time but because they are now the ruling party expect it to rear its head on budget day,

At the same time they are expected to announce a higher inheritance tax threshold.

Proving that this Government really do not like the less well off do they.

I actually think this is fair enough. If you earn £30,000, you don't need social housing.

it takes 10 years to get a house where i live, so what else are we to do, they need to put a cap on PR, and stop LL racking 7 to 10 time more HB than they should get by letting the rooms out in 1 big house, as each one of them can claim HB so there for the LL ends up with so much more for the 1 house than he would do if it was let as a house, how much is that costing each year.

Its a vicious circle where housing benefit feeds higher rent demands far more than true market forces would allow. (Yuck - that sounds so Thatcherite - but is true no the less)

Problem is finding a way to break that circle.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days