SIck Pensioner in Hospital needs urgent work on her home doing before she can get home

Clear33

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My good friend has been on sickness benefit for a long time at one point she was on dla too. It may have change and she may just be on a pension now, I do not know but will find out.

she was taken very ill and is in hospital. However they say they will release her soon. However there are some urgent functional problems in her home that have not been repaired that need repairing plus lesser urgent but equally important work needs doing maybe costing altogether £5,000 upwards. This is aside from cosmetic re decorating that seriously needs doing too.

I recall a lady on the programme 'benefits street' got a benefit loan of a £1,000 which she pays back in small amounts, to redecorate her house from orange to purple.

What benefits, emergency funding etc. is available? I can pitch in and help, but sadly I can not pay for the work to be done which I would prefer to just be rich so I could just have it all done in a few days for her!

Thanks in advance,

Clear33

Hi

Not my area but if she needs adaptions at home so that she can continue living at home then I would expect some input from the adult social care team.

Which area does she live in?

I have found this from AgeUK

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS37_Hospital_discharge_arrangements_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

There should be someone at the hospital who can give benefits advice.

If she has care needs that have lasted for 6 months and expected to last another 6 months, she can put in a claim for Attendance Allowance. There's a disabled facilities grant for her home to be adapted.

AgeUK should also be able to do a benefits check.

what the woman on the tv programme claimed for redecorating was probably a budgeting loan. In order to claim the person needs to be on an income based benefit, but the amount that can be borrowed is restricted, and the smaller the household, the less that can be borrowed - £348 for a single person.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Your friend should also be entitled to an assessment from social services. Within that assessment, they can also suggest adaptations and equipment that will make your friends life easier for her.

Your friend should also get a benefits check. It would help her and whoever does the assessment, if she has all the letters relating to her current benefit claim.

Mad world we are in ! It would cost them more to keep them in hospital, than it would cost to do the work needed, so they could return home.

This problem was featured on the news recently. It is a financial argument by desk bound numptys in NHS and council social services. They need to sort it out in a practical way, by having a joint NHS/Social services team based in hospitals, with people on the ground sorting out what needs to be done.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is a mad world in deed. I am not confident in the wisdom of getting a 'Social Worker' involved. I was speaking to a Charity and whilst they wouldn't say this was a bad idea they said we could travel the route of The Citizens Advice Beaureau instead who can get the charity money. There is a massive deficit in common sense with these government organisations imo and medical care services were appalling for both my own parents.

I have no personal experience of social workers however I have read dreadful things about them. My friend wants to be in charge of her own life and situation. Whilst she is willing and asking for help, she is worried they will take over and institutionalise her instead of giving her the help she needs.

Is it an option then of trying to get the hospital to keep her in for another week or so? Her meds do still need monitoring and she is improving - this would give the necessary time to get a proper plan together...

It is a mad world in deed. I am not confident in the wisdom of getting a 'Social Worker' involved. I was speaking to a Charity and whilst they wouldn't say this was a bad idea they said we could travel the route of The Citizens Advice Beaureau instead who can get the charity money. There is a massive deficit in common sense with these government organisations imo and medical care services were appalling for both my own parents.

I have no personal experience of social workers however I have read dreadful things about them. My friend wants to be in charge of her own life and situation. Whilst she is willing and asking for help, she is worried they will take over and institutionalise her instead of giving her the help she needs.

I don't claim to be a fan of social workers, but the bad ones make the news because they are not the norm. Just as we don't hear of all the flights that land safely, we don't hear of all the social workers doing a good job.

I would also like to reassure your friend that social workers prefer to keep people in their own homes, maintaining their independence. They can organise packages of support and make your friends home easier for her to live in.

Please encourage her to see the hospital SW and listen to what they have to say. They can't force her to do anything against her will.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes. Luck of the draw. But also system failures and limitations create bad social workers with good intentions too.

Can the social workers prevent, by law, my friend from returning home if she wanted to go home if they went round and deemed it not habitable? In other words, is she in a legally stronger position if she gets back home and then has an assessment for the repairs/adjustments?

I have known quite a few oaps forced out of their home. One was tricked by another oap friend and social worker collaboration by telling her to 'stay for a while in a nursing home whilst they adapted the home for her' They tricked her to leave and she shrivelled up in the Nursing Home and Died - her oap friend and social worker never had any intention of doing up her home.

Another was put under that much pressure to leave his home the night before he was going to be forcibly removed, he had a heart attack and died...

And so on.

That's because its cheaper I think to keep people in their own homes. However if there is work to be done, maybe a cost analysis may say that in the short term it would better suit them to get her into a home of some sort.

I see where you're coming from, but it would be very short term when you consider the weekly cost of a home.

It would seem that your friend may prefer looking at alternatives first, depending if they are willing to let her stay in hospital. Might be worth seeing if her GP may be able to organise home care without SW involvement too.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.