Universal Credit and implications for ESA Support Group members?

semayden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'Ve been trying to find out how UC will affect me as I was placed in an ESA Support Group a year ago for a one year - and then told this year that I wouldn't be called for any type of assessment at all and that they will look at my case in spring of 2017. Btw, I went through the hoops several times plus two tribunals in order to get where I am at the moment. Obviously I was relieved to hear about the '2017' decision, but now am starting to wonder what is likely to happen to me under the scheme for UC.

If it helps, I have Fibromyalgia and am a 62 year old female. Please help me as I feel I can't bear to have to hoop-jump again at my age! I honestly thought that I might be left alone until 2017. :!:

Thank you for reading this!

UC may not come into your area for a few years.

Even if UC does come to your area within the foreseeable future, there is a good chance that you may not get transferred over. Currently you are ineligible to claim UC if you are a home owner and/or in receipt of certain other benefits. With any luck, the whole thing will fall over and be written off as a bad idea.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Even if UC does come to your area within the foreseeable future, there is a good chance that you may not get transferred over. Currently you are ineligible to claim UC if you are a home owner and/or in receipt of certain other benefits. With any luck, the whole thing will fall over and be written off as a bad idea.

Mr P where did you read home owners can not claim UC.

I understand new claimants will not be entitled but existing ones will be ok

I also believe that permitted work is to do under UC

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/404224/uc-faq.pdf

Q. Who will be able to claim Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. When it affects you will depend on your

personal situation, where you live and any benefits you currently claim.

You can check if you can get Universal Credit by going to http://www.gov.uk/universalcredit.

To be eligible to claim Universal Credit (as opposed to existing benefits), you must:

• live at your usual address, in an area where Universal Credit is available

• not be homeless, in supported or temporary accommodation, nor a homeowner

• be a British citizen with a National Insurance number

• be aged between 18 years and 60 years and six months

• be fit for work

• not have applied for a fitness for work note

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/404224/uc-faq.pdf

I'll update & quote later, but the key point that will be of interest to the OP is UC is only available if you are aged between 18 and 60 & 6 months.

Also note that this states that UC is only available to those who are fit for work. Although the intention is that UC will eventually replace ESA and IS as well as JSA, I think we are a long way off (a good few years, probably) from that point. Since Semayden is 62, my guess would be that UC is not something she will have to worry about at any point, and I don't think it's something that ESA claimants in general need to stress about right now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Also note that this states that UC is only available to those who are fit for work. Although the intention is that UC will eventually replace ESA and IS as well as JSA, I think we are a long way off (a good few years, probably) from that point. Since Semayden is 62, my guess would be that UC is not something she will have to worry about at any point, and I don't think it's something that ESA claimants in general need to stress about right now.

Thanks for that Antone.

No I am not worrying see what happens with it all - then worry:)

Thanks for all replies - and especially this onefrom antone. I feel somewhat comforted now and a bit less worried. I can only hope that your 'guess' is right!

That is useful to know, thanks. I know they said it was (I think!) currently for people in certain areas without children who were job seeking or soemthing.

For the initial roll-out, they want to keep it simple in an attempt to keep the costs of implementation down. Assuming the system doesn't go in to melt-down, the more "difficult" cases will be included.

In theory, UC is a reasonable idea. The logistics and implementation leave a lot to be desired, and the people in charge have seriously underestimated the costs and timetable.