• Tweets

• I have done a separate letter and form for each of the 3 debts and kind of ignored the Vodafone one for now    Thanks 
    • please refrain from posting blocks of text...use sentences and line spacing .... i notice your 1st post had been spaced and ive done your last three.... this is not facebook....its a forum. ........... it does matter how long BS takes i would cease payments now and a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF. they don't own your debts so can do NOTHING!! slow down and calm down , 4 post in 5 mins is no good. Debt management and Debt self-help - Consumer Action Group click the above link and go read a good 20+ thread in the above forum and all your questions will be answered  if you have any outstanding  then please post with them later. everything is explain in numerous thread already here for you to understand at your own pace. there is not rush to do anything today or the next 10days bar simply stop paying. though as explained in my last post, whichever way you go not pay will equal a default which will trash your credit file for 6yrs so the quicker you stop the quicker they will vanish . dx  
    • The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. One question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment. Sorry for the many replies but after doing a quick search, correct me if I am wrong. If it then does go into default and it goes to a collection agency am I right in saying they will send many letters and they may consider a claim? and I should only response if an official MoneyClaim is made? Also, If it does go into default does this severely affect my credit score? or will this only be in the case if a CCJ is applied.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Npower / Wilkin chapman solicitors CCJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just having read of your original post and in this you state that you rent this property to multiple occupants as this is a large property, so under these circumstances you must hold a HMO licence?

If this is the case under the terms of a 'House of Multiple Occupancy' the tenants cannot be deemed responsible for the utilities as there is no way to determine how much of each service they are actually using (unless sub-meters are fitted) and the landlord is responsible for utility bills.

• Haha 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having read of your original post and in this you state that you rent this property to multiple occupants as this is a large property, so under these circumstances you must hold a HMO licence?

If this is the case under the terms of a 'House of Multiple Occupancy' the tenants cannot be deemed responsible for the utilities as there is no way to determine how much of each service they are actually using (unless sub-meters are fitted) and the landlord is responsible for utility bills.

Very useful point.

Thank you Grem for your post. I appreciate your comments. I was told to be concise so I couldn't elaborate too much on this site but yes you point to one very likely scenario and all of us who have lived in Student Houses as HMO's are familiar with that scenario. Yes this is a licensed HMO and there is nothing in the "terms of HMO licensing" that stipulates who pays the bills..its between the consumer and the supplier. The license is between the council and the owner and manager of the property.

In this particular property it is impossible to have all the tenants names on the bills. Instead as I alluded to in my original post it is the responsibility of the sole managing tenant who is the main liaison point for utility bills (who makes a deduction from the rents to pay the bills) and HMO license terms. This has been the case since Npower took over and were billing the former managing tenant. The point in my original post was that Npower have continued to bill the former tenant even though they know he had left in 2010. I can prove this by showing them customer reads and letters (stamped by them as received) and emails (they replied to). All highlight that my current managing tenant has been in touch with them to obtain a contract since 2011 and 2012 onwards. And I have been in touch with them since december 2012. They have neither billed her nor me, until they came and removed the meter in April 2013. The warrant was in the name of the former managing tenant. There were no letter addressed to "the occupier". They have subsequently refused to amend the account in tenants name or to re-examine all the grossly estimated and erroneous readings.

Whether I am responsible for the bills as owner, or my managing tenant is responsible for them as a consumer, I should still have had sight of the bills at some stage in order to challenge erroneous meter reads and charges that were double the market rates. All consumers have that right surely?

• 1 month later...

just to update. I've received the SAR documents and they are a really interesting read. I've also had the judgment set aside and now received the full claim form at my current address with 14 days to respond. I'd like some help responding to this if you are able to please. Can I private message anybody with this?

thanks

I'm away for the next 7 days and only have access to a poor internet connection and a tablet as my laptop has broken down!!

Please will you go through the disclosure very carefully - make lots of notes and go through it several times.

In particular try to see if there is anything missing.

Please report here what you find and we will get your defence in on time

Yes - absolutely.

There is nothing to hide. We are very straightdealing.

It is Npower who skulk around and it is their legal department and their legal assistant who play silly tricks and serve you with documents at the last moment.

We don't need to act like children. We leave that to Kenny Madley Smadley Hadley Beaver.

Set it all out for us - in a nice bullet-pointed chronology.

I have a list of specific points that are only strengthened further by the SAR documents as I suspected. I have 14 days to return the claim form which will deny liability and issue a counter claim before end of August. My question is this, do I write my full response now or do I just give a brief outline to meet the end of August Deadline and then follow up with full details of the case at a later directions hearing? Seems everybody is away in much of August including me!

Yes - absolutely.

There is nothing to hide. We are very straightdealing.

It is Npower who skulk around and it is their legal department and their legal assistant who play silly tricks and serve you with documents at the last moment.

We don't need to act like children. We leave that to Kenny Madley Smadley Hadley Beaver.

Set it all out for us - in a nice bullet-pointed chronology.

Well the first and obvious points are that they have provided solid proof that they are aware a tenant was not at the property (as they had contacted him) yet they continued to bill me right up to the point that the meter was removed. Even the court documents have the old tenants name on when they knew that the tenant was not there.

Secondly they show no proof that my current tenant has contacted them, yet in the phone logs and visit logs they state that she opened the door to them and located the meter for her as well as providing telephone numbers, months before they took the meter.

thirdly their phone logs show them realising that their meter readings were wrong and switched around yet there is no admittance of mistake to me..

it goes on and on

Start of by explaining the story on this thread.

We will help you draft your defence in 10 days time. We can only do that if it is fully explained here

I'm away for the next 7 days and only have access to a poor internet connection and a tablet as my laptop has broken down!!

Please will you go through the disclosure very carefully - make lots of notes and go through it several times.

In particular try to see if there is anything missing.

Please report here what you find and we will get your defence in on time

Yes there is quite a bit missing especially any communication between my current tenant and them, when they have " C" for customer reads on some bills which could only have been provided by a telephone call.

We need it all listed. List what is missing.

List the story.

Please do this carefully. You are already taking several posts to give us unstructured and unlinked information.

Please stop posting on the forum.

Sit back for a day and read what you have. Work out how to present the story to us and then type it into your computer and when it is ready, transfer it to this forum

Start of by explaining the story on this thread.

We will help you draft your defence in 10 days time. We can only do that if it is fully explained here

My opening posts on Page 1 explain the story to CAG...do you mean explain the story for the courts in the response pack?

Please follow this model of presentation - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?449914-action-so-far&p=4771806&viewfull=1#post4771806

Start from the beginning again.

List out what has happened.

List out what you have discovered from the disclosure

List out what you think is missing form the disclosure and why

Lay it all out chronologically - well spaced and bullet pointed

Others will come to support you as well.

My access is limited over the next week but after that we will be able to help you prepare your defence.

I strongly advise you not to send anything off before we have all discussed it here.

Also, please would you send an email to our admin email address with your contact details.

I believe that you have a hotmail address. Our emails very often go to spam boxes with Hotmail - so check your spam for replies and make sure you whitelist us

Can you please confirm the following as I seem to have lost the plot somewhere.

You discovered a default Judgment against you which you are now in the process of setting aside - you have made an application to set this aside and now have to submit a defence in support of that ?

Your defence needs to be the bare bones/outline of the situation - your Witness statement which you will need to provide at a later date will put the flesh on the bones.

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Righto, I think I am now back on track - set aside was granted and you now have to submit a defence. You have received their particulars of claim and it is my understanding that you should respond to each point of their claim - in your defence.

You need to submit your defence by 28th August.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...
Righto, I think I am now back on track - set aside was granted and you now have to submit a defence. You have received their particulars of claim and it is my understanding that you should respond to each point of their claim - in your defence.

You need to submit your defence by 28th August.

The letter from solicitor states "you have until 27 August to file and serve your defence. If this is to take the format of that enclosed with your application, then please provide a copy with a signed statement of Truth to ourselves and the court.

But I think at this stage I should be fine just sending the acknowledgement and then have a further 14 days, i.e till about 7th Sept to file the defence and counter claim. Is that right?

It might be worth contacting the court to confirm the date your defence and counterclaim needs to be submitted by.

BCOBS

Yes I have contacted the court and they've only just received the papers from the previous court. They are in process of writing an order for Directions Questionaire to be submitted by the Date of 15th September. Just to be on the safe side I will send the acknowledgement today. They've advised that for counter claim just enclose a brief letter but I will send for N9B and leave the amount open. I'll be claiming for Trespass at least as I am not convinced of the legality of the warrant they used to enter the property. Apart from the suspect meter reads, estimated erroneous billing and back billing of course.

Ok, if you need to acknowledge, then yes that needs to be done immediately. In which case you would then be entitled to an extra 14 days for submitting your defence.

BCOBS

• 2 months later...

So I've submitted my defence and also submitted my evidence of incorrect readings to wilkin chapman. It's stayed until early December so once I hear further I will update here. Fingers crossed.

Relying predominantly on gas act 1986 for billing disputes. If anybody has experience in this field I will be obliged to hear.

• 1 month later...

Npower now want to drop proceedings and have offered a hands down agreement. What advice would you give? while I'm happy to walk away I still feel that there are many consumers out there suffering at the hands of this bullying organisation and they need to be shamed in court.

What have they offered?