Terms of employment - is this unusual?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently received an offer letter for a new job. One of the stated terms of employment is: "You may be required to work flexibly and/or additional hours may be requested for the proper performance of your duties for which you will receive no additional payment"

This role is salaried as opposed to hourly pay. Is this a statement typical of salaried positions or is it something more ominous? My primary concern is the 'additional hours may be requested' part - since it is a request does that imply that I can decline the request?

Hello and welcome to CAG.

When I was salaried, nearly all my contracts had a clause similar to your one. Additional hours are supposed to be 'reasonable' I believe, although that's hard to define.

I expect the forum guys will be along over the course of the day with more informed views for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Agree with HB, not unusual at all...

The 'request' is likely to come at a time when the organisation is at a critical point like end of year / contract where additional work is required to complete all of the tasks required and to be fair, I'd think long and hard before refusing the 'request' if you see what I mean.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

the wording may vary but the essence is the same for most salaried jobs. Overtime may be paid if the extra hours are onerous. The flexibility should work both ways. Often core hours or duties are expressed and the rest is down to individuals to manage their time and workload

You may also find that although any additional time goes unpaid, that you're able to accrue TOIL (Time off in lieu) and then recover hours worked at quieter times.

Watch that you're not going under NMW at any time too. Good luck in the new job.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Depending on the company (usually in corporate-sized firms), I would find it more unusual for those terms not to be included in a contract. You will probably - and hopefully - find however that you are not often expected/required to do a significant amount of overtime, and it is just something they 'force' you to agree to initially to cover their backs should it happen in future.

It's not very fair in my opinion, but when there are several people competing for most jobs, they can unfortunately get away with it.

Hope it all goes well for you and it's not something you need to worry about. :)

Ditto. Salaried, with a similar clause and not unusual to work 12 hours plus some days, but much less on others.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As its hot and i've had a few "sherries" my reply must be read or sung to the tune of Mr Tom Jones

It's not unusual to be shafted in this way

It's not unusual for your boss, not to say ok

but when I see them legally withholding your.... salaried pay

It's not unusual to see me cry,

oh I wanna' die