Used an 'NHS only bay' in a council car park, got a PCN, but signs are too high up to read?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I accidentally parked on an NHS parking bay section in Purley car park.

The only indication that it was a specialized parking bay was the parking box line coloured blue and a sign 10 to 12 feet high saying NHS parking only.

.. no other indications what the blue lines meant.

It was raining heavily when I parked so I wasnt about to turn my head up at the sky to read ANY signs even if I saw them.

I dashed to the machine got a ticket and rushed out of the car park.

I appealed and it was declined.

I missed the 2 week deadline and now I have been sent a Notice to Owner with a £130 bill.

the charge is "85-parking without clearly displaying a valid permit where required".

If the council want fines of this magnitude surely they can paint "NHS only" in the bays,

have a notice near the ticket machine saying "NHS only in blue bays"

or bring the sign down where people can see it, not at 12 feet high.

I feel this is unfair and I have been ripped off.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi HB, its a public car park but they have reserved some spaces in the top floor for the nearby Purley Hospital it seems.

I cannot find the original ticket, but the "notice to owner" I got yesterday has a PCN number, served by a "civil enforcement officer" (as it says on the notice).

It also says if I dont pay within 30 days, the fine will increase to £195.

I dont know how they justify these extortionate fines

At the time,

most of the top floor was empty anyway (a quarter of is allocated to NHS).

So its not as if I parked there because I couldnt find any other bay to park in.

In my appeal I stated this and I also stated that the sign was not at eye level so they cannot expect anyone to observe it

unless they were 10 feet tall at least.

This is a deliberate attempt at confusing motorists and extract heavy fines I feel.

So you appealed against the penalty? Can you tell us when this was please?

Edited: and what was their reply?

HB

Sorry, I think you've probably told us about the reply. I don't know the answers myself, but people who do should be along later today or tomorrow if you can bear with us.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

about 3 weeks ago.

The correspondence with the ticket enforcers is unusual in the sense that they sent me 2 full A4 sized colour photos of my car parked in the bay.

Does this mean they are private car park enforcers?

about 3 weeks ago. The correspondence with the ticket enforcers is unusual in the sense that they sent me 2 full A4 sized colour photos of my car parked in the bay. Does this mean they are private car park enforcers?

Hi. I'm not sure about the answer, but who replied to you please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Their reply letter says "parking services" at the top.

They say "the onus is on the driver to ensure they observe the signs as there is no requirement to paint NHS on the bays as they are coloured blue.

therefore I am satisfied that that sufficient advance notice was in place"

The reply was not signed. It just says "Parking Services" and the letterhead is Croydon. and croydongovuk It could be that the council has hired a private company.

Sorry, I didnt see overleaf. It is signed by "PCN processing, Parking and Departmental Support Services"

are the word 'Penalty Charge Notice'

used anywhere.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

Yes Penalty Charge Notice is used at the top of the reply letter to my failed appeal.

I hope this means good news!

By saying the "onus is on the driver to ensure they observe the signs "

also implies that the onus is on the parking admin to make said signs within easy and accessible reach of the motorist.

This is not an egg hunt.

By buying a ticket and displaying it I was clearly observing the law,

but I cannot observe laws that are unobservable because of 12 foot high signs.

Signs have to be clearly visible and legible. If the signage was inadequate then that is grounds for an appeal, but of course, what constitutes inadequate is open to opinion.

You have two options - pay or appeal. If you opt for the latter, then it would help your case if you could gather photographs of the bays, clearly showing that the only signage is well away from where you would normally be looking. Also, get photographs of the bays you are allowed to park in, to show there is no obvious difference. Your appeal will be on the basis that the signs are not clear enough for a reasonable person to know they can't park there, and that you accept a responsibility to look for signs, but only in places where you would reasonably expect to find them.

Having seen roughly the position of this sign your appeal should and must state you were unable to see the sign due to its location. It is far to high for normal viewing...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.