Blondmusic

Plusnet unfair Cessation Charge after contract ended**WON**

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1601 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I was a Plusnet phone and broadband customer until I found a better deal with another company for the same services at a cheaper price. I telephoned Plusnet before my contract ended to ask if they could give me a better deal or at least match the deal I would get as a new customer. They couldn't do it so i signed up with a new provider.

I have changed providers many times when contracts have ended and usually have no problems

My contract with Plusnet ended on the 15th of June 2015 and I moved to my new provider. I even received a refund from Plusnet for the overpayment I had made from my previous bill. I then received an email from Plusnet saying I owed them money. I logged into my Plusnet account and they have added an Outstanding Cancellation Charge. I telephoned Plusnet and was told that they had charged me a Cessation Charge for cancelling the Broadband on my telephone line. The rep then told me that my new provider did not accept MAC codes and that it was an Admin charge for passing on my details. I was furious and told him that I would not be paying this unfair charge as I am still using the same telephone line as before.

I then telephoned my new provider who said Plusnet were being very naughty and they should be reported to Ofcom. New provider said that you no longer need a MAC code to change providers and Plusnet were just trying to make money out of me.

When I signed up to my new provider I gave them all my details so I do not understand why Plusnet have levied this charge on my account.

I have already made a formal complaint to Plusnet and I am currently awaiting a reply.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Having just had a quick read of this:

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml

it seems to me that they are thinking you are ceasing a service, as in not having a phone or broadband account.

As you are moving to another provider, the fee should not be charged.

Let's see what they come back with. It is not your fault that the new provider doesn't accept MAC codes so you should not be penalised for this.

Since the 20th of June, when switching, the customer no longer needs to get a MAC code as it is now down to the new provider to get this from the old one although this practice has already been ongoing for some time now.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Having looked a bit more, if you move to another provider that doesn't use the BT network then the cessation fee does apply. For example, moving to Virgin Media is the best example of ceasing service from the BT network.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I have moved to Fuel Broadband and I am still using the same BT Telephone line as I was with Plusnet therefore they should not be charging me anything.

Plusnet have finally seen sense and removed the charge from my account. It's taken them a week but I received this email,

Dear Blondmusic

Good afternoon, thank you for taking your time in contacting us.

When it comes to the cease charge, this is applicable if the gaining provider do not take over the line correctly, even if you are using the same lines at the property.

However, I will in this case remove the cease charge from the account. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact us further.

Can the Site Team mark this as WON please?

Well done. I will mark accordingly.

Glad they saw sense in the end.

• Confused 1