BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• I don't have any doubts but that if they have breach the contract then they must leave you in the position that you would have been if the breach hadn't occurred. This means that the very least that you shouldn't be out of pocket at all – and in fact if you incurred extra losses having to remedy their breach – by making other arrangements then I think you should be entitled to this as well.
    • On a side note -  I expect Barclays to extend the contact time to the week after. Only because your case isnt a simple one to deal with and they may have to do further investigation.  Let us know what the Adjudicator says... Remember this - The FOS in recent memory have become a dog with no teeth...  
    • CCA is not re-setting the date it is a right?   no CRA showing how can they report a non existent account which is not showing, pay them and if it was then it would just show partially settled and still be there killing your score for 6 years letters may this/that and the other are just threatograms used by the office junkie, Cabot know this,  sit on your hands and stop seeing what is not there"!  Statute Barred is Final end of sure Dx  will respond as well
    • I booked a one way flight online for my wife and I with Ryanair in December '19 for a flight from Spain to UK in August '20. The flight confirmation showed that the cost of the flight was €145.68 and that my card had been debited £133.01.  I don't recall being given the option of choosing to pay in euros or GBP but it is possible that I was.   On 5/2/20 they contacted me to advise that "Due to the non-delivery of the Boeing Max aircraft this summer, please be advised that there has been a significant time change to your Ryanair booking". It was in fact much more than a significant change in that it was a cancellation of a flight on that day from that airport which had been tailored to fit our preceding travel plans so I just asked for a refund, as I could not find a suitable alternative with Ryanair.   The refund was processed and Ryanair sent me an email stating, "We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account. The amount refunded to your credit/debit card is GBP 133.01"  When I checked my bank account I saw that they had refunded me €145.68 which when exchanged left me £119.58 leaving me £13.43 out of pocket.  On contacting Ryanair they said it was my bank's fault and not theirs as they refunded the full amount paid.  My bank advised that Ryanair debited my account originally in GBP therefore they should have refunded this amount in GBP.   I made an official complaint to Ryanair which they have rejected stating that I was in breach of their General Conditions of Carriage by not selecting the correct payment option.  I feel that because they did a currency conversion on payment and debited my account in GBP that they should have refunded the GBP amount that they took.   I also wonder how many others has this happened to and I smell a large rat. Could anyone offer any views on this, and/or if I have any comeback and where I could take it please?
    • So I received a further letter and a phone call from Ruthbridge yesterday offering a 70% discount and through a lot of waffle go on to say verbatim (I hung up the phone without admitting who I am):   "If you fail to contact us... we may return the account to our client (cabot?) who may look at alternative activity"   I'm guessing they know it's SB then as there is no reference to court, however they do state that the credit reference agencies will be updated to reflect "partially settled" should I take advantage of their offer - there is no HSBC/Cabot/Ruthbridge account showing on any of my credit reports.   DX apologies if you take it as I am being difficult or dim, however I remain concerned that the CCA request does not contain the words "I do not acknowledge any debt" or similar and because only a debtor can apply for the CCA (as I'm led to believe) then sending for this in 2015 has reset the date of acknowledgement of the debt - has this ever been used by a DCA as an acknowledgement of the debt?   Furthermore with the 2015 letters and 2020 letter having completely different amounts allegedly owed and reference numbers that differ from the original letters from Cabot and the CCA supplied back in 2016 this is giving me a further level of concern over the best course of action.
  • Our picks

pepper79

TSA (Travel and Subsistence Arrangement/Allowence) Scheme

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1623 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey all.

I'm so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I had no idea where to put it so please feel free to move it to the correct place.

I am currently working in a temporary, full time position with the possibility of going permanent after 3 months. While I'm temp, I am "under" Manpower, if/when I go perm I then get took over by the company I am working for.

Manpower use the TSA Scheme but I'm having a few problems and I hope someone can help me.

I have been paid 4 times (I worked 1 week in hand and get paid weekly while temp). My first wage and TSA was correct:

TSA Allow: 34.60 - A TSA Adjust: -34.60

the allow and adjust matched but the next 3 payments have not matched:

TSA Allow: 43.25 - M TSA Adjust: -47.58

as you can see, what has been taken out is greater than what has been put in, which means I am short by almost £5 per week. I asked our point of contact for Manpower if the allow and adjust should be the same - she said yes and said she would look into it for me but I havent heard anything from her for 2 weeks. Now I am emailing the whole team as advised for someone to help but I'd like some info in case they are trying to pull a fast one.

Can anyone who knows about TSA explain or let me know if the allow/adjust should be the same or if they are meant to be different and why? Is the above TSA correct and I'm worrying about nothing? I've heard so many bad things about Manpower since I started my new job that I'm worrying they may be taking money from me (and others). What rights I have and what I do about it if all this is wrong. Any help/info is appreciated. Thanks.

Write - don't text, call or email - to your Manpower contact and ask for a full copy of the details of the TSA scheme.

It's either an error, or an admin fee, I would guess, But you do need the full TSA booklet if they haven;t already given you a copy.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for your reply. I was sent the booklet in an email when I first queried it but it still makes no sense to me. How disgusting if that is an admin fee but I'm hoping its an error and I will get the money back. I will see what is said on Monday and will write if I get no joy. Thanks again!

the scheme helps you get more cash in your hand by offsetting travel costs. Why would they go through all that hassle for nothing?

I do not think an admin fee is necessarily disgusting!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

They do it to save money on their NI contributions so it is not to save you money because they are nice people. Chances are that if you are returning to work then there is no saving to be had by you anyway. That would make an admin fee stick in my craw.

I find it disgusting because its a fee I have not been told about and when I asked the point of contact she said the amounts should match, not "there's an admin fee you know", she even said she'd look into it. I don't like hidden charges/fees, especially when I specifically ask and I still don't get told about it. An admin fee wouldn't be so bad if I actually got told about it.

Yes I am returning to work after a long illness.

at the moment it's a "might" be. Get upset if it is. What does your agreement say about fees?

There is no mention of any fee or charge in the TSA FAQ handbook. Funnily enough, no one has replied to my email even though they have been quick in the past and I think if there was a fee, it would have come out of my first TSA but it didnt. Stuck on what to do, because if this isn't a "fee" or "mistake" I wont get anywhere writing to Manpower.

Writing. On paper.

Just a quick update. I finally got a reply from Manpower... that IS an admin fee and they said they take around £5 which is 50% of what I actually "saved" due to TSA but what stings the most is, they advised me to opt-in to the TSA even though I shouldn't be paying any tax at all as I've just done a tax calculator on the Governments site and I'm due a tax refund!! While I will get back the tax I paid, I wont get the admin fees back.

Thanks all for your help, really appreciate it!

can you opt out?

Luckily yes and I have now but wont get my tax refund prob until next year, which is almost £100.

Just a quick update. I finally got a reply from Manpower... that IS an admin fee and they said they take around £5 which is 50% of what I actually "saved" due to TSA but what stings the most is, they advised me to opt-in to the TSA even though I shouldn't be paying any tax at all as I've just done a tax calculator on the Governments site and I'm due a tax refund!! While I will get back the tax I paid, I wont get the admin fees back.

Thanks all for your help, really appreciate it!

Actually, Manpower's TSA scheme takes 10% of whatever your total allowance is as a fee. The higher the figure, the higher their fee.

it only goes to show that you can change things by questioning the norm. Too many people will just go along with it without knwing why it is there and whether it is in their interests.

This scheme bugged me from the first manpower employee mentioned it.

It's worth pointing out that manpower advertise jobs with the " *Benefit of TSA scheme (travel subsistence allowance)"

My local manpower branch staff didn't know the ins and outs of the scheme. I was referred to head office payroll. The staff there couldn't answer any questions and clearly stated that manpower doesn't make money from running the scheme. That was either a lie or the employee was misinformed.

Since I have property income and other little investments each year I file my SATR. I spoke to HMRC about tax relief for employees as Manpower base the TSA scheme entirely on the interpretation of "Temporary place of work". (ref: google "Tax relief for employees gov uk" ) - Noting it is figures Manpower use for the basis of TSA savings scheme.

The language used by Manpower staff was that I was 'eligible' to join the TSA scheme as I'm at a temporary place of work . With this I asked my accountant about not joining the scheme and simply claiming the whole tax relief with my SATR. Naturally he was highly uncomfortable with the idea. the question was raised as to how/why do I consider myself to be at a temporary place of work. Which in all honesty I know I'm not as I am considered a 'contractor' to the company I work for with a schedule that is 24 months long with the outlook to be taken on by the company during this contract period. There is no suggestion (or possibility) I'll be sent to work at another site or location.

Were I to actually claim all my travel and food allowance with my SATR I'd most certainly raise some eyebrows.

Manpower don't actually claim anything from HMRC. They do however manipulate your income with HMRC's approved mileage and food allowance figures (as a mobile employee) to reduce your tax commitment ( a tiny bit more money in pocket now), lower the Employers NI contribution (more money in Manpowers pocket now, less money in your pocket later) and to apply a small fee for running the service (the 'service' is an accounting algorithm built into Manpower's payroll software)

The long and short of all this is that Manpower are manipulating the term 'temporary place of work' to justify using HMRC's guideline figures as a basis to meddle with your income to reduce your tax commitment, possibly put more in your pocket while saving plenty themselves in NI contributions. Contributions which are earmarked to benefit you later in life.

Although I've opted out of the scheme now I still see on my payslips in the Tax Year to Date box a weekly notice of TSA Savings (which are not applied) of around £80 - Thus suggesting TSA is a built in feature to Manpower's payroll system and an integral part of their business model.

This really needs to stop.