Have I been Mis-sold my BT Broadband?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've been a BT customer for the past couple of years. My Phone/Broadband contract was coming up for renewal so as you do you have a shop about. I found a cheaper deal with Plusnet which I was happy to go with. I phoned BT for my PAC code and a nice lady then started to try and talk me out of leaving. She offered a discount on my current monthly bill (I had to sign up for another 12 months), free caller display for 12 months and the full BT Sports free for 12 months (inc ESPN).

Great I'll stay with you for another 12 months then!

A month into my new contract I check my bill only to find I had been charged for my caller display. I phoned BT and they apologised and said no further charges would apply (Yet to see if I'll get the money I paid credited to my account).

I then get an email saying that a new channel is being released and I am going to get charged an extra £5 a month to receive that, BT Sports 2 and ESPN! One of the reasons I signed up was for the full BT Sports package for free for 12 months. Now a month in they are going to give me 1 channel instead of the 3 I was supposed to get.

I contacted BT and the guy on the phone told me that at the time of me signing back up it was true that I'd get all the BT Sports channels but now theres been a change and I can either cancel or pay £5 a month. If I'd have known that this was going to be the case I'd have went with Plusnet when I wanted too as it worked out a hell of a lot cheaper for the same products (minus BT Sports 1 which as of August is the only channel I'll get)! An apology from the guy on the phone but basically I was tied into the contract.

I feel like I've been tied into a contract in which I haven't signed up to. No doubt they will say its in the T's and C's (and maybe I should have taken more notice of them when reading through them).

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't offer an answer to your question, but I'd just like to say I'm in a similar position.

I renewed/extended in Jan 15 our broadband, with BT Sports free for the duration of the contract.

A friend also did the same.

We both have emails saying it will be £5 from August too.

I haven't contacted BT yet as I need to listen to the truecall recording of the call before I make a formal complaint.

I don't think it's right that they think they can charge extra half way through the contract.

I think that you might be able to cancel the contract though,i think it was detailed how to on another consumer website. I'll try to find where I read it.

Edited by Conniff
Removed HTML formatting.

Hi Me_Too,

Sorry about the late reply. I firmly believe this is mis-selling by BT but they don't appear to be interested in what we have to say.

As soon as my contract ends (if I can't get out of it prior) I shall be cancelling and moving to another company that is half the price and just as reliable!

Hi

Rather than mis-selling, I would consider this a serious breach of contract. You signed up to a further 12 month contract based on the assurances given then they change the contract which could be seen as a major detriment thus allowing you to cancel without incurring cancellation charges.

I would be reading the terms and conditions fully to see if that is covered and also deal in writing only (email is fine) Don't ring them!

Most contracts have a 'get out' should they introduce new terms which favour them above the customer.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Silverfox,

I shall have a look at the T's & C's this week. I shall try and hunt them down online and see what it states.

• 2 months later...