• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

JD Gym/ Harlands supposed to be contract free but unable to cancel!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, haven't used the site before but came across it when trying to research.

I joined JD gym in December, joining online. The main reason I joined was because it was the only gym in the city that was contract free. The website clearly states several times "No contract- cancel at any time". Because of various referral incentives I persuaded my husband and mother to join also. We were supposed to receive free towels, bags and a PT session. Over the 5 months that I attended I saw the club deteriorate; it took us 4 months to receive the bags and towels as they were out of stock or manager not available and no one else had access to them. We booked in a PT session twice and turned up both times to find the PT could not carry out our session as he'd been left on the floor by himself, there was never any effort to contact us beforehand to avoid a wasted trip. The showers got smellier, the gym got busier, often despite paying a premium for off-peak membership there wouldn't be any treadmills or rowers available for the best part of an hour. My mother and I decided to quit. We spoke to the guy at the desk who gave us a number for Harlands who are responsible for procuring the direct debits.

I tried to call them but one of the digits had been incorrect so I called the gym and they gave me an email address for Harlands Customer services. It took 2 emails for them to reply stating that they couldn't find my name on the system and asking me to provide my DOB. I did so, they replied again saying they still couldn't locate me could I send my address which I did. They still couldn't find me so advised me to call their customer services.

I called and was cut off the first time, put on hold for 40 minutes the second time and eventually they also couldn't find my details with my full name, address, DOB and start date. They advised me to email customer services detailing my intention to quit and cancel my direct debit, a view shared with several others trying to cancel on JD's facebook page. This was at the beginning of May. This week I received a debt collection letter from Harlands stating that I owe nearly £53 in charges including a "cancellation period charge" and an "admin charge for default of payment".

Naturally my mother and I were appalled at this so I called the number on the letter; Harlands Customer Services. The lady was not particularly helpful claiming that I need to email customer services informing them of my intention to cancel. When I read the emails out to her she told me to "tone down my sarcasm or she would have to end the call". I'm not entirely sure whether she thought the responses I was reading from Harlands was sarcastic or the fact that I was disputing the effectiveness of emailing them. She told me that JD gyms had changed their cancellation terms recently and had sent correspondence to all members to inform them of this. Not myself, my husband or my mother have received anything via email, post, text or phone from JD other than fitness updates.

She said they were unable to cancel things at their end as it was up to JD so I could either contact them to sort the issue or.... email Harlands Customer Services. I did both. After sending two emails I am still waiting 4 days later for Harlands to reply. JD only replied once I had made a public post on their facebook page about being very disappointed in their customer care and response to cancellation. (Upon looking on the facebook page I can see there have been quite a lot of people who have struggled to cancel as the process is not clear and they get no replies). JD have messaged basically sending me a copy of the generic Harlands T&C's. and stating that I have to give 14 days notice via email if I wish to cancel. This would be entirely fine if they would accept a cancellation but two months on and I am struggling to make any progress and incurring more fees each month. The T&C's are geared towards a contract-based membership and make no mention of contract-free memberships. In fact, to my mind the only contract that should be in place is the direct debit agreement. I can't see how legally you can have no contract with a company and yet be billed for services unused, paid in advance and cancellation periods.

Please can anyone advise on this. Thanks in advance.

Hi Crunchy and welcome to CAG

More info please, before we can advise better :-

1. Have you checked the gym's online site, or any T&C's you were given, to see what notice period you had to give if you wanted to cancel.

2. Approx when did you and YM first tell the gym you wanted to cancel.

3. When did you cancel your DD mandate.

We have seen other examples of a gym (Xercise4Less) and Harlands making it confusing or difficult about who you contact to cancel.

Harlands and CRS (who are Harlands, at the next desk) will tell you that admin charges have been added and the "debt" is increasing. However, we maintain their admin charges are unenforceable penalties that should NOT be paid.

Ignore demands from Harlands/CRS for now and do NOT talk to them by phone at all.

Give us answers and we'll suggest how you can best proceed.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you Slick. The gyms online site says nothing, others have noted that in the FAQ section there is no info on how to cancel other than saying you can cancel at any time and there is no contract, no catches.

The T&Cs mention 30 day cancellation periods for contracts. As my membership is contract-free I'm not sure how this helps. I'll try and attach the T&Cs that they emailed me this afternoon. I've noticed from looking at other posts on here that the T&C's are exactly the same as for all other Harland-involved gyms and contracts. There is nothing specific to the gym and nothing specific to contract-free membership. In fact the gym itself have said I have to give 14 days notice. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the T&Cs. so all seems very unclear and contradictory. I made the last payment to them on 5th May and my mothers payment was around the end of May. The payments are made in advance according to the T&Cs which means we would then be able to use facilities for a further month once payment has been repeated. As it's contract-free we were told in person it means if we choose not to renew then our membership would end the next day.

I rang the gym and expressed a wish to cancel membership on 5th May, however I don't have written confirmation of this. I informed Harlands on 12th May via email. They are still claiming to not be able to find my details to cancel and keep passing me back between the phone and email helpdesk. The DD I believe was cancelled after sending the email as payment was due out that day and wasn't sure if I would be able to stop it or not. My mums went out towards the end of the month and she was furious with me as she thought I had cancelled our memberships so I advised her to cancel her DD as by this point we'd sent several emails making it perfectly clear we wished to cancel our contract-free memberships.

Hi Crunchy,

Let's go with the email cancellation of 12th May as you have proof of that.

It's not clear from your post if your DD was stopped before the payment was taken or not. So please confirm if the DD was paid in May, or was your last DD paid in April ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

The last payment was taken on 5th May. The letter states they were unable to take June's payment, of £18.99, or cancellation period charge of £18.99 and Admin defaulting payment charge of £15. After speaking to other people on a local forum there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency. At least 5 people have cancelled DD's and had no recourse. One phoned up and told them they wished to cancel, cancelled DD that day and months later are still getting a letter from Harlands which they've ignored as legally they feel there was no contract in place.

Hi Crunchy,

Safest way to go here is to use 12th May as your cancellation date, after which you had to make one further payment during the 30 day notice period.

Letter to Harlands :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my monthly no-contract membership at JD Sports gym in [Town].

I told the gym I wanted to cancel on 5th May and emailed Harlands, as suggested by the gym, confirming the cancellation on 12th May.

I now realise I should have paid one final fee for the notice period, and offer to pay this to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £9.99 in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

I will make formal complaints to Trading Standards and The CMA if you make further demands, or if you pass the matter to any other party to pursue payment.

Yours faithfully,

In YM's case, she should also have paid a final month's fee after giving notice to Harlands. She can therefore adapt and send a similar letter.

Send the 2 letters (not emails) to Harlands and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO for proof.

Let us know how they reply.

Thank you, I'm just a bit confused though as the gym have said I need to give 14 days notice and the Harlands contract is specifically for contract membership, hence it giving only a few scenarios where cancellation would be accepted on the T&Cs. If the gym are correct and the notice period for non-contract membership is 14 days I wouldn't be liable for that final payment would I? Also, would it be £18.99 not £9.99?

Thanks

Hi Crunchy,

Regardless of whether the gym told you 14 days or a month's notice was required, you would still owe a further fee. Adapt the letter to show £18.99 if that's what the fee was.

Send the letter as it is or you'll end up arguing with Harlands about minor details.

Hi Sick,

sorry I'm being a bit dim but if a payment was made on 5th May and then I gave official notice of wanting to cancel on 12th May then 14 days after that would be 26th May. So how would I be liable for a further payment on 5th June?

Messing around with accepting any cancellation is one side of the problem but trying to claim for further money after the 14 day notice period is another issue entirely isn't it?

May be missing something but I don't see how any of the parts of the payments demanded are fair or legal?

Hi Crunchy,

I agree with you IF you only have to give 14 days notice. However, I'm not sure this IS the applicable notice term.

It may be that the "14 days" referred to the initial period during which you could cancel without obligation up to 14 days after joining, because you weren't IN the gym when you joined

In post #1, you said :-

JD have messaged basically sending me a copy of the generic Harlands T&C's. and stating that I have to give 14 days notice via email if I wish to cancel.

Can you tell us exactly what the email said.

Hello .... We tried to call you regarding your comment on Facebook and issue with Harlands. Please find attached the T&C's every member agrees to on the first page of joining. It explains you need to give 14 days notice to cancel with Harlands (the company who takes your Direct Debit) and the terms you agree to by setting up a Direct Debit. Hope this information helps. Kind Regards. JD GYMS HULL

The attachments was the generic Harlands T&C's that Ive seen posted a few times on this forum by people stuck in contracts with any gym Harlands deal with.

Hi Crunchy and thanks for clarifying,

Ok, so you have an email from the gym confirming they required just 14 days notice. In which case I would suggest the following amended letter :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my monthly no-contract membership at JD Sports gym in [Town].

I told the gym I wanted to cancel on 5th May and emailed Harlands, as suggested by the gym, confirming the cancellation on 12th May.

I have an email from the gym confirming they required 14 days notice to cancel. Accordingly the 14 days notice expired before the next DD payment was due, so no payment was due from me beyond the DD paid on 5th May.

I owe nothing more to Harlands, either for monthly gym fees, or for your admin fees.

I will make formal complaints to Trading Standards and The CMA if you make further demands, or if you pass the matter to any other party to pursue payment.

Yours faithfully,

That should do for now.

Thanks for that Slick. I will get the letters sent out tomorrow. Not sure if it changes anything but I received an email this afternoon in response to my email over a week ago from ICS customer services as follows:

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm you are able to cancel your agreement without the one month cancellation period.

However, you will need to bring your payments are up to date before cancelling.

Therefore, your June payent is required.

Please contact our helpline on 01444 449162 if you require further information.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449162 () Quote Reference : 1810246 / JT

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

Yours sincerely,

Harlands

Clearly they are ignoring my request to cancel from 12th May and JD's assertion that the notice peiod is 14 days. My payments WERE all up to date when I asked to cancel. Also, payment is made in advance not in debit. The fun continues. I haven't responded, they will get a copy of the letter you advised.

Hi Crunchy,

Who are ICS ??

good question slick. this is the first time they've been mentioned so your guess is as good as mine. I'm assuming from viewing other posts on these forums, and by the contact details in the email that Harlands are inventing another guise for themselves. But the email address it was sent from wasn't the Harlands one I emailed it was [email protected]

Ah, ok.

The email in post #15 was from Harlands and can be ignored until they reply to your letter in post #14.

• 4 weeks later...

well I sent the letter on 2nd July 2015 and retained proof of postage. I also included in the header my new address as I figured they may take a while to respond and I was due to move so included both my new address and former address and stipulated such in the letter.

Today I received a redirected mail (clearly ignored letter and change of address- glad I paid the £30 to royal mail) and the letter reads as follows:

re: your membership to JD sports gym

We are disappointed that you have not responded to our previous correspondence.

The July instalment has now been missed, resulting in a further administration fee of £15.00 being added. The total amount now to bring your account up to date is £67.98.

Please call the HARLANDS HELPLINE- 01444 449162 to make payment by DEBIT/CREDIT card and reinstate your direct debit instruction. If you wish to pay by any other method you must still phone us to discuss your options.

The telephone lines are open 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

If you do not call us by 30th July 2015 then the collection of your membership fees will cease to be administered by Harlands and will be passed to a Debt Recovery company. This may incur you significant additional fees and ultimately result in court action.

Yours Sincerely

Harlands

They are clearly refusing to acknowledge my wish to cancel stated on 12th May, still for myself and my mothers accounts. Also refusing to acknowledge my change of address, all emails sent and the letter itself as later on they state "if you wish to cancel your membership without incurring extra any further costs, then you simply have to agree payment of the current outstanding amount plus the one month cancellation fee". this is then broken down to now come to £86.97.

I have emailed them highlighting again my change of address and copied the letter that I posted on 2nd July and stated that I am yet to receive any replies to any of the latter emails sent. Think they're prepared to ruin my credit rating first and foremost which will really be helpful in two years when it comes to renewing my mortgage. They have also done the same to my brother who I wasn't aware had joined the gym ages ago, asked the staff how to quit and they said "cancel your direct debit, that's all" and 8 months later he's been hit with letters. Another gym in the city is managed by Harlands and my friends husband has just been told the same; "just cancel your direct debit". Furious isn't the word.

Hi Crunchy,

This matter will not affect your credit rating at all.

There was no need to respond to their letter really. You could have just ignored it until/unless they respond to your letter of 2nd June. Avoid playing their game of letters or emails "ping pong".

In any event, you should email Harlands saying you will make a formal complaint to the ICO if they send anything to your old address when they know you have moved.

Today I received this email:

Dear *****

Further to your recent email.

Unfortunately we have been unable to locate your account we would require you to forward us either your full address or your Direct Debit refference number.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact our Harlands Helpline.

For all Enquiries Call : 01444 449 166

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

Yours sincerely,

George,

Harlands Customer Services

Reply saying, "My last email of xxdate attached details of my old and new address and my account no. for xxx gym was XXXXXXXX."