Out of the country for an oral examination court hearing.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an ongoing dispute about solicitors fees which ended with me receiving a ccj even though I have disputed the amount.

The ccj was served on an old address so I was never aware of it until last year.

The company has sent me a court order for an oral examination hearing but I am out of the country. They have told me very aggressively, I must attend or be arrested!

I'm moving out of my home and going abroad for 6 weeks for family reasons. Everything is booked in terms of flights and accommodation so I would lose a lot of money. Am I still expected to attend!? What will happen if I don't!?

You could send proof into the Court and ask the hearing date to be moved, otherwise the solicitors are correct that you could go to jail for failing to attend the hearing.

Ok so it's a valid reason not to attend as long as I provide proof?

Well I can't rearrange my plans, there's no way. Other people have booked things based on me being there so I'm not wasting everyone's time and money. I only received notice last night and the hearing is on Tuesday, is there not some kind of minimum notice period?

If the hearing is on Tuesday, when are you leaving the country ? You would need to deal with this today I would think and have a definitive response from the court, else I can see you being arrested on your return at the airport ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was made aware of it in 2013 and have had an ongoing dispute with the company. Last year I applied for a set aside but due to an emergency couldn't attend. (Unfortunate I know!) I didn't hear anything more from the company until now, nearly a year later! Maybe stupidly on my part I haven't done anything about it in that time but it's not very fair that neither have they, then a year later I'm expected to jump!

As I say, you need to deal with this today then.. telephone the court at which the hearing is to be held and see what they can advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If the hearing is on Tuesday, when are you leaving the country ? You would need to deal with this today I would think and have a definitive response from the court, else I can see you being arrested on your return at the airport ?

That won't happen.

I've read online that it should be served no less than 14 days before so I'm hoping it'll be ok!

Ok, so exactly when and how did you receive notice of the hearing? Was it personally served on you or just put in the post?

When did you book your holiday? If you were served in time would it have made a difference?

CPR 71.3(1) states "An order to attend court must, unless the court otherwise orders, be served personally on the person ordered to attend court not less than 14 days before the hearing."

I received the notice last night, it was personally served at my home address. I booked the holiday around a month ago.

I have spoken to the court and they have told me to email them and it will be at the judges discretion. Hopefully the fact it wasn't served with 14 days notice will go In my favour.

I cannot afford to lose this money, plus I'm homeless as of Sunday! :/

Let the court know of any forwarding address.

BCOBS

I would just add that, since you did not turn up to the set aside hearing and since that hearing was several months ago, it sounds like there is now no realistic chance of getting the CCJ overturned. You will have to pay and, if you cannot afford to pay, should try and set up a payment arrangement with the creditor.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS