Help with Hastings Direct/Smartmiles

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help!!

Anyone had any similar dealings?

I'll be honest in saying that I am at my wits end and had to cancel my insurance on the 16.06.15, previous to this, I've been with Smart-miles for over two years and I was starting my third year with yourselves.

Now I didn't have any issues or problems with yourselves, in fact you were great, that it until I changed something to my circumstances on-line. Due to my job role I changed my insurance to include business, I was aware that this would up my premium and I wasn't bothered about paying that, but when unfortunately my circumstances changed, I rang the customer service desk to see if it was possible to revert it back to my previous, I was told this would be OK to do so and the cost would go back, now I was originally paying roughly £63.30 PCM, then it upped to roughly £87.54.

So after I spoke to customer services I did this, I went on-line and changed it back to my normal circumstances, however, when my first direct debit came out, I was a little astonished to see a bill for £101.54 beginning of this month come out of my account. I later rang customer services and explained the situation and asked if there was anything that can be done regarding the price, maybe reduce it slightly back to the £87.54 (which I didn't mind paying, as I was aware I made changed to my premium) but the gentleman I spoke with advised me this couldn't be done and there was nothing they could do about it.

So I told him that I would be cancelling my insurance as I can get definitely get it cheaper elsewhere. So I purchase new insurance with HASTINGS DIRECT on the 16.06.15. I rang back smart-miles customer services who advised me that they would be able to waiver the admin fee for doing this, and also they would be able to waiver the cancellation fee as I was technically staying within the company, that I thought, Great, that's great customer service right there, unfortunately this was short-lived. I received a letter yesterday (23.06.15) dating the 19.06.15 stating my outstanding balance.

Now this I was shocked by, according to direct smart-miles I owe them £169.84, this is broken down of £45 cancellation fee and £124.84 usage fee on the cover......I'm confused as to this, so I rang customer services yet again last night , explained my WHOLE situation yet again, to be told that even though the lady I spoke to on 16.06.15 to cancel, who I said would waiver the cancellation fee, had put a comment on my details saying this couldn't be done.

What I can't get my head around it, how can they say one thing over the phone but do completely the opposite in writing. AND how can they charge someone £124.84 for using the vehicle for 12 days!!!!

Now is there anyway to waver any costs, or am in a loosing battle? Like I said, I'd been with smart-miles for 3 years and not had any issues until now, if the price could of been lowered originally I would of stayed with yourselves instead of looking elsewhere.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Suggest that you make a complaint to Hastings, as they have not kept to what they told you. They cannot just pu through what premium they like. They have. to advise you giving a minimum of 10 days notice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for posting, I was able to forward it to the Smartmiles team to have a look at. They wanted to call you and speak to you personally but couldn't reach you. We did leave a message though so you can give them a ring when convenient and hopefully we can arrange an amicable outcome.

Kind regards,

Joe

(edited for name typo)

Edited by Hastings Direct. Joe - Social Media Customer Support

Hi Jow,

Thanks for the reply.

Confused as to how they are trying to get in contact, as they have both my mobile and email and I don't have any missed calls or anything? Maybe they could try ringing my mobile again, which they have on file

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I complained my case of Hastings SmartMiles demanding £159 plus for my putting down 8 years No claim bonus instead of 9. Now the adjudicator in Financial Ombudsman concluded that igo4 had every right to increase my premium to £159. I wonder what the raison d,etre of the Financial Ombudsman?? If igo4 were within their right, they wouldn't refund me £43, would they?

This adjudicator needs re-training. I did not deliberately set out to fiddle with my NO claim bonus to get a lower premium. It was a genuine mistake. Now igo4 is probably more emboldened to relieve people of their money!