Mysterious County Court Costs Certificate received - traffic accident related?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone. I would really appreciate your input on this issue.

I just received a Default Costs Certificate from Chester County Court. The letter was redirected from our old address in Wales (we have now lived in the South East of England for the last 3 years). The letter states:

"As you have not raised any points of dispute on the claimant's bill of costs, the costs of the claim have been allowed and the total sum of £604.85 is now payable. You must pay this amount to the claimant within 14 days from the date of this order (1 June 2015)."

Now, this is the first time I hear of any claim in my name, and I have not received any bills of costs before (we were renting house in Wales, and current tenants do not forward any letters to us, so it was the first one in 3 years). I have no idea what the original claim was about, and I can only guess that it was related to a small traffic accident I was in in 2011. In 2011, I ran into another car at small speed at a roundabout, and both parties reported this to our insurers. I lost 2 years of my no claim due to that, and I thought it was finished then, and that any possible (minor bodywork) repair costs would be absorbed by the insurer.

The payee on the Costs Certificate is Oracle Cost Consultants in St Helens, who I guess a "no win, no fee" company. Perhaps, the other party has applied for the personal injury claim without my knowledge.

My questions:

1. If I did not receive the claimant's bill of costs, is this costs certificate legal? What are the consequences for not paying it?

2. What do I do to find out what exactly the claim was about: call Chester County Court, or call Oracle Cost Consultants, or even my car insurer?

3. If it is indeed that accident related, why may I be liable rather than my insurance company?

3. What do you suggest I do going forward to resolve the issue?

The date on the costs certificate is 1 June 2015, however I only received it on my current address today - 24th June. As the payment was due within 14 days, it is now overdue.

I am confused and puzzled as to what this is and what I do with it. In case this is not the right sub-forum for my question, please do let me know too.

Many thanks,

Sasha

HI welcome to CAG

I am going to move this to general legal forums which is an administration move my end.

In meantime.

KEEP everything in writing when dealing with them.

As for the Court, you could phone them. Make sure you get the correct number and not any number given to you in that letter in case is it a "S c a m "

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

This is not a s c a m, Oracle are legal costs draftsman.

There has been a claim from the person you hit and a settlement was agreed but your insurer/solicitor has been slow in paying the costs (or simply didn't agree them) and so that matter has gone back to Court hence the Order you have now received.

You need to urgently get in touch with your car insurers from the time of the accident and forward the Court Order you have received to them so that they can deal with it. DO NOT try and deal with this yourself.

Technically you are liable as you were the negligent party however your insurer will sort it all out once you notify them of what is happening.

If you do not pay it then the Claimant could take enforcement action against you, for example send bailiffs or apply for a Charging Order on your home etc. so do not ignore it.

This is not a s c a m, Oracle are legal costs draftsman.

You need to urgently get in touch with your car insurers from the time of the accident and forward the Court Order you have received to them so that they can deal with it. DO NOT try and deal with this yourself.

Thank you for your detailed response Ganymede. I have confirmed that the phone number on the form is genuine number for the Chester County Court. I will call them tomorrow to confirm that it was regarding the accident, rather than something else. Provided it was indeed the accident claim, I shall get in touch with my car insurer at the time and ask them to sort it out.

-Sasha

Thank you for your detailed response Ganymede. I have confirmed that the phone number on the form is genuine number for the Chester County Court. I will call them tomorrow to confirm that it was regarding the accident, rather than something else. Provided it was indeed the accident claim, I shall get in touch with my car insurer at the time and ask them to sort it out.

-Sasha

Don't faff about. Time is of the essence.

Update:

I called the County court today and confirmed that it was indeed related to the traffic accident 4 years ago. I also found the email from insurance company 4 years ago, saying that I'm losing 2 years off my no claim, but no further action was required on my part.

Then called the car insurance company and they asked to scan and email the costs certificate to them and said that they will take care of it.

So I consider this nearly resolved, provided of course that the insurers do their job right this time.

Thank you for you input in getting this sorted. I'm so glad I joined this forum.

-Sasha

Excellent Sasha...update your thread when this is fully resolved with conformation.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

The story has seemingly come to its resolution as finally received an email from Swift Cover with the following content:

"Dear .... I apologise for the delay in responding.

I confirm that this matter has been dealt with and you should not receive anything further.

In the event that any further letters are received please send them on to us for review

Regards"

Thanks for your help in getting this resolved.

-Sasha