Millions are facing junk mail deluge - Secret Royal Mail plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3133755/Millions-facing-junk-mail-deluge-Secret-Royal-Mail-plan-deliver-marketing-letters-shoppers-simply-click-product-online.html

Homeowners to be sent 'targeted' junk mail based on web shopping habits

Simply clicking on products and adding them to 'basket' will trigger post

Plans are being trialled by Royal Mail to boost revenues amid falling sales

Difficult to opt out of scheme as it falls outside of generic junk mail system

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3133755/Millions-facing-junk-mail-deluge-Secret-Royal-Mail-plan-deliver-marketing-letters-shoppers-simply-click-product-online.html#ixzz3dmxw3iC3

Homeowners will be sent ‘targeted’ junk mail based on their internet shopping habits under plans being trialled by Royal Mail.

The firm will deliver personalised marketing letters encouraging customers to buy goods from retailers they have looked at online.

Simply clicking on a product and adding it to an online shopping basket would be enough to trigger adverts in the post.

A secret pilot has started between Royal Mail and a well-known UK retailer, and the system could be rolled out within months.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It would be difficult to opt out as the scheme would fall outside the Royal Mail’s system for stopping generic junk mail.

Then I shall simply return to sender or return in an unstamped envelope !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'll do what I always do, every time RM push junk mail through my letter box I collect them up, then at the end of the month, shove them

all back in the post box.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Anyone know the postal address of the RM's CEO and other exec's?

crossing out the address and marking it - "gone way - deliver to XXXXXX" might produce some very interesting result if enough people did it. Needs the idea tweeted and put up on people's facebook accounts.

I can at least take mine down to the local post office and get them to wipe my address from their sale records - the post office people should be shot for suggesting this as a way of generating income. If anything it will make people move away from the post office when they can.

crossing out the address and marking it - "gone way - deliver to XXXXXX" might produce some very interesting result if enough people did it. Needs the idea tweeted and put up on people's facebook accounts.

I like this idea.

Yes, this sounds like a great idea :)

BCOBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moya_Greene

This appears to be the lady in charge - now to find an address for her.

BCOBS

http://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9559

Could it be this easy ?

Postal Address

100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0HQ

BCOBS

I tend to remove the contents of company x and y envelope, put correspondence from x into prepaid envelope from company y and vice versa and put into post box. This then costs them the postage. If everyone did this junk mail would stop asap

I tend to remove the contents of company x and y envelope, put correspondence from x into prepaid envelope from company y and vice versa and put into post box. This then costs them the postage. If everyone did this junk mail would stop asap

This is another great idea.. keep them coming. :)

BCOBS

Total non-story. An internet retailer is considering sending ads through the post to customers who don't opt out (or do opt in, depending on the mechanism).

Just like pretty much every other big retailer.

If you don't want to receive the stuff through the post, you just opt out.

They seem to me making a huge deal out of the fact that putting stuff in your basket but not buying will be the trigger. I'm astonished that this is news. Clearly you're interested in the product, and because you didn't buy it you're highly likely to be interested in buying if they offer you the right discount or other incentive.

cookie, I think if you read the article, you will see that it is apparently quite difficult to opt out of this particular service.

People will need to ensure they tick or untick the box that gives permission to online stores to "share your details with selected partners!"

BCOBS

There is a Barclays TV advert on at the moment about people using the Internet to their advantage. The advice is to leave products in a shopping basket online and then not clicking through to buy. It suggests that retailers would contact them with further discount offers. I have not tried this to see if it works, If you sign up to Tesco home deliveries and don't use them for months, they offer some good vouchers. I think I had £20 of free food and more discount vouchers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

cookie, I think if you read the article, you will see that it is apparently quite difficult to opt out of this particular service.

People will need to ensure they tick or untick the box that gives permission to online stores to "share your details with selected partners!"

So, you untick the box that gives permission to online stores to "share your details with selected partners".

What's difficult about that?

Before you berate Royal Mail for participating in this, some points to bear in mind:

• By law, Royal Mail has to offer a single price for delivery anywhere in the UK six days a week (known as the Universal Service) - No surcharge for the Highlands & Islands.
  • Royal Mail has to deliver every letter that the sender has paid the appropriate fee for, even the "junk mail".
  • Mail volumes are falling (for letters) at a rate of approximately 4% per annum.
  • The high density population areas subsidise the delivery service in rural areas.
  • Royal Mail must attract new business in order to remain profitable and be able to provide the Universal Service.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I like the Royal Mail :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Before you berate Royal Mail for participating in this, some points to bear in mind:

• By law, Royal Mail has to offer a single price for delivery anywhere in the UK six days a week (known as the Universal Service) - No surcharge for the Highlands & Islands.
  • Royal Mail has to deliver every letter that the sender has paid the appropriate fee for, even the "junk mail".
  • Mail volumes are falling (for letters) at a rate of approximately 4% per annum.
  • The high density population areas subsidise the delivery service in rural areas.
  • Royal Mail must attract new business in order to remain profitable and be able to provide the Universal Service.

1: Why is it that the Junk Mail "Always" gets delivered, but items that the general public have paid to be delivered safely... don't !

2: If they didn't lose, damage so many, they wouldn't end up paying compensation !

3: They already appear to be making profits selling insurance to cover these losses and damages ?

4: Offering a competitive service should bring in more business.. or am I missing something ?

Did they not spend millions of £'s trying to rebrand themselves a few years ago ?

I too like the Royal Mail, although over the past few years it seems to be losing its way.

BCOBS

My neighbour has a no junk mail sign on their door and the postie does generally honour this. The consequence is that I get double, but as it goes directly into recycling or shredder for composting, it does not bother me.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If I get junk mail from any source, I put it in an envelope, and post it back to the senders registered address without a stamp. I often type the envelope so that it looks more "official". There is a sort of satisfaction knowing that the sender may end up paying the postal charges for the return of their own junk mail if they accept delivery from the Post Office that is.

I suspect that the R.M. may not have (or want) the level of control to stop this Junk.

They Must deliver stamped addressed mail.

I print out labels by the dozen saying Return To Sender. Sender- deleted this address from your files. Stick one on so that it does not obscure the original address, strike through that original address and pop in post box.

Better still; avoid the problem in the first place, dont enter your address in a website unless essential and dont use your own name!

Hope this helps. Rgds, Conun Drum Esq.

Edited by leon58
left justify

Total non-story. An internet retailer is considering sending ads through the post to customers who don't opt out (or do opt in, depending on the mechanism). Just like pretty much every other big retailer. If you don't want to receive the stuff through the post, you just opt out.

I don't think so. If all the retailers involved ensure that a pop up box appears before all of their customers informing them of the changes, with a direct link available for those who want to check their current status, then I might agree with you. However, I very much doubt that this will be the case; while I don't at all doubt that this will end up irritating a lot of people. It's all good and well hypothesising how everything should still be smelling of roses, but as we all know 'in theory' and 'in pratcice' don't always tally. :rolleyes:

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Royal Mail already deliver tons of junk mail so a bit more is unlikely to make much difference, except to the trees and they don't have a lot to say on the subject.

Yes, very sad that the trees are being destroyed for the junk mail which simply ends up in the recycling bins !

I gave a copy of the CAG newsletter to the Postman and he was not aware of this secret Royal Mail plan - although it isn't a secret anymore, :lol:

BCOBS