style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I am after some advice regarding a laptop bought 26/1/15

A few weeks after I bought the laptop it began to be very slow at loading pages.

I rang Rang Knowhow Customer Service Team who tried to help but as they were unable to help me

they said to take it back to the store for them to take a look.

I did this and when they gave it back to me it was exactly the same so I took it back a second time for them to investigate.

When it came back it was exactly the same so it went back a third time.

When i got it back it was even slower and was taking 6 or 7 mins to load any web pageit went back to store a for a 4th time.

When I got the laptop back it was exactly the same it went back for a 5th time.

It is now worse than ever and is taking 15 mins for a web page to load. The store are saying it is really not their problem.

As I am still within the first 6 months and as they have tried and failed in store five times to fix the problem, am I now entitled to ask for a replacement?

I am worried that if it keeps going in for repairs I will go past the 6 month mark and I will lose some of my rights.

Thanks

Hi

In the first 6 months of purchase, any fault found is assumed to have been there from purchase BUT you have to ensure it is not something you have downloaded first. IF it is faulty, you have given them plenty of time to rectify and you can reject it.

Are you able to do a factory reset to take the pc back to its basic function then test the speed? If it is still bad, take it back and use your rights under the sale and supply of goods act

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and thanks for the quick reply

PC World told me they did a factory reset on the last three times they tried to fix the fault. I did mention the sale and supply of goods act when I picked it up for the fifth time. It was then that I was told that it really was not their problem

Have you tried it using another internet connection ?

Did the store test it using their internet connection ?

How does the laptop function using software ? If you played a game, how does that function?

What laptop is it ? Are there reports online of the same problem ?

What version of Windiows ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi and thanks for the quick reply

PC World told me they did a factory reset on the last three times they tried to fix the fault. I did mention the sale and supply of goods act when I picked it up for the fifth time. It was then that I was told that it really was not their problem

If there is a definite fault, the store are responsible during the first 12 months. If they are refusing to deal with a fault they say exists, then you should contact PC World head office.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Jimbo what platform are you using and which browser and what Anti Virus ?

http://www.askvg.com/fix-slow-performance-issues-and-tabs-not-loading-problem-in-google-chrome-by-disabling-hardware-acceleration-feature/

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Everyone and thanks for the replies.

The answers are...

It is windows 8.1

I use internet explorer browser and Opera Browser and both are the same

I have Mcafee total protection( This also takes a very long time to do a scan and updates also take a long time)

I have tested it on other internet connections and it is still slow

PC World must have tested it on their internet connection

The only thing I have put on the laptop is Mcafee Total Protection

Not tried any games so I do not know about that

I would like to think that after looking into the problem 5 times the highly trained in store expert would have found and fixed the fault. They have not said that it works great on their internet connection and they have not shown me that it works great on their internet connection. Had this been the case I would like t think they would have done this the first or second time. All they have said is " It should be better now" But instead of better it is getting worse.

I have thought about emailing the CEO's office and asking them to look into the problem.

Thanks again

Get rid of the Mcafee for starters (try Free AVG or similar)...try chrome and follow the advice in the link above.....accelerated hardware check.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If the Internet is the only problem and you have only had a problem since installing Mcafee, then it might be a software issue and not the laptop.

When i have had problems with internet being slow, it has been to do with the anti virus software, Windows updates and other system updates. If your laptop is receiving loads of updates every time you connect to the Internet, it will kill the speed.

:

I think I would turn off the automatic updates and also disable Mcafee. Then connect to the Internet and see what it is like.

Some possible fixes found online. Widespread problems of slow internet with Windows 8.1

I have done/checked everything an IT pro would do. After a little googleing, i have found out that a large number of people with 8.1 are having some sort of wireless networking problem. Most solutions, and or forum conclusions are the same. Windows 8.1 isn't handling wifi drivers correctly. Any brand, any type. I ultimately went back to 7 pro, haven't had any problems since. Windows 8.1 is clearly STILL having issues with wireless drivers.

I almost took your advice Tom, almost. I really was ready to give up after reading your post, but I have to tell you I was able to get an Acer tech to fix the problem. You have to go to device manager, then click on your network adapter then find speed & douplex, change the douplex to 100 half douplex.

I had this issue, and was about to toss in the towel on 8.1 again. But decided to tackle it again (new laptop) and looked at the WLAN driver config again.

This laptop has a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card in it. Digging around in the Driver settings I saw something that caught my eye; the "802.11n channel width for 2.4Ghz" was set to "20 mhz only". I set this to auto, the card disconnected and reconnected and instantly the DL speeds went from 40Kb to 1Mbps. I can't confirm this had anything to do with it or not, but thought I'd share in case it did.

Thanks Andy and UB67 for the advice

I will remove Mcafee and see it that makes a difference to the speed.

Does this mean that all of the possible problems need to be ruled out before a replacement can be asked for?

Should the Tech guys at PC World not mentioned this to me and should they not have already looked into this possibility during one of the five times they tried to fix it for me.

Thanks again for the advice, It is much appreciated

If they could not find a hardware problem, then they won't replace. It is probably a software issue with the settings and you need to work out what it is.

If you are paying for additional computer technician cover and not getting the service, you should question why you are paying this.

PC World will have done a diagnostic check and could not find anything. They cannot solve software issues, unless it was found when they had the laptop. You should question what service they are providing.

I have been into PC World again and they want want me to take the laptop in for a 6th time as it is still taking between 10 - 15 mins to connect to a web page. They have said that it is not a hardware problem but they will take another look. As a few members have pointed out, it may well be Mcafee causing the problems but as that is the only software I have put on the laptop and as I bought the laptop as a package that included mcafee, are they in any way responsible for this? Or should I be thankful it is not hardware and try myself to figure out what is causing my problems?

Thanks

I have been into PC World again and they want want me to take the laptop in for a 6th time as it is still taking between 10 - 15 mins to connect to a web page. They have said that it is not a hardware problem but they will take another look. As a few members have pointed out, it may well be Mcafee causing the problems but as that is the only software I have put on the laptop and as I bought the laptop as a package that included mcafee, are they in any way responsible for this? Or should I be thankful it is not hardware and try myself to figure out what is causing my problems?

Thanks

Have you connected others laptops to your internet connection and there is not a problem with your modem/wifi ?

If you have bought technical help cover which includes hardware and software, they will try to help you. They won't replace the laptop, unless they find a hardware problem, which they cannot repair.

Ask the store to check the laptop using their internet connection. It may just be a problem with the settings on your laptop and easily solved.

Thanks for the reply

I have the knowhow cover who tried and failed to fix the problem. It was them who advised taking it into store. I will try knowhow again before taking it back into store for them to look at it again.

It is not the most expensive laptop and was not bought to be used to carry out loads of things at the same time and all I am really trying to do is surf the web quicker than 15 mins per webpage

I do hope it is a problem with the settings that can be easily solved but the knowhow team could not find it and 5 visits to the PC World experts have also failed to find the problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

well sure to nail it down to the infamous win 8.1 wireless driver issues

have you connected it via a wired Ethernet cable and does the timing issue still exist?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply dx

It is the same with the wired Ethernet cable and other laptops are working fine so i do not think it can be a problem with the modem/wifi.

It is taking that long that i think I will have the old "Dial Up" sound playing in the background and pretend it 2001:lol:

Just uninstall the mcafee...you will be amazed at the difference.

Hold on... Did you put McAfee on there without first removing the anti-virus that comes with the laptop? Usually there is one pre-installed. If you installed another, then a fight between them both will start and it will completely sod everything up.

I see it all of the time.

Also, FYI, McAfee has got to be one of the worst. I have a bundle of free 1 year codes for bit defender, I don't use it personally, but it's supposedly low-impact.

stick glary utils on it

and uninstall all the hidden built in bloatware every PCWORLD lappy comes with.

or if you want

put teamviewer on it

PM me the ID and password

and i'll do it remotely.

bet ya its nowt to do with any 'hardware/ driver fault '

of you right click my computer and properties

it has got all its RAM showing

ie 4GB or whatever memory it came with

not Hardrive space.

I have know people to nick ram out of peoples laptop when it left alone

the lappy goes really slow...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you're running Windows 8/8.1 then Windows Defender (already built-in) is all the anti-virus you need.

And in fairness, the bloatware isn't anything to do with PCWorld/Currys. The manufacturers put all that crap on there so you'd get it no matter what retailer you bought the same laptop from (provided it was sealed/new of course)

Hi and thanks for the replies

from what you all say it is not a hardware problem. PC World say it will not be Mcafee but as they sold it as part of a bundle that came with the laptop, I would not expect them to say anything else.

I think I will remove and replace Mcafee.

Glary Utilities looks a good option so thanks for that

Thanks again for all the good advice