Taking Vodafone to court? #10667726**Resolved**(fin ally)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

So it comes as no surprise whatsoever that Vodafone is positively trending on these forums. So here I am to join the chorus: being a customer of 10+ years, I am pretty traumatised by the insanely inept customer services, whether in store, on the phone or live chat.

April 10th:

I ring in to arrange my upgrade - all goes apparently well and I sign up for two new handsets (both nano-sim) and told I could keep my old numbers on both. Since then, one of these handsets has continued to be absolutely unresponsive to its SIM despite trying new SIMs until I figured it was just defective and called in to demand an exchange for a different handset altogether. Being still in the hassle-free period, the exchange was readily agreed and I was told to expect a DPD pick-up of the faulty handset in a few days. This never happened so I rang in and was told the 'order had been cancelled' (God alone knows why or by whom).

Early May:

So I re-placed the order, was told to wait on DPD etc etc. Nothing happened for the second time. I cant fully remember the excuse given then or exactly how many times this happened but it was definitely 3-4. I think at this point I also rang in to complain about being BILLED despite the situation - I was told I would be refunded all the excess money- this never happened.

Mid-late May:

I rang back, they reissued the order and told me to wait again. Again, absolutely no word from DPD. I believe I waited a while after this, since, well- I have a life to live and waiting in endless queues with the world's worst customer service for absolutely nothing was driving me literally insane.

June:

Again I rang up to ask WTH was going on and was told there was an 'older order that needed to be cleared first before the new order can go through' (again, not the faintest inkling who/what/why/when). After waiting the instructed 48 hours, I rang in to renew my request. They confirmed that my account was all clear, placed the new order and even said she'd credit my account with £10 - never happened. She also keenly assured me that DPD would be in touch by the end of the week.

...do I even need to carry on?

AND all the while, my new (costlier!) tariff that came with the defective handset has been active on my old handset. This is unfair as I did NOT agree to a new tariff alone- the deal included the tariff AND handset. I have been charged TWICE (on 2nd & 24th May) since that fateful April 10th despite the deal being incomplete (i.e. no functioning new handset).

So in summary:

#1: I have a defective handset still waiting on DPD to take back and a new one to be delivered.

#2: I have been charged TWICE IN ONE MONTH for a tariff that INCLUDES a handset which IS DEFECTIVE AND FOREVER PENDING RETURN.

Is this enough grounds to take this inept company to county court? I'm reading through the page on that now and seems like my only option at this point. I'd love to make an example of them this way.

Anyone else done this/thinking about doing it?

Thanks so much for reading and/or any help!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I'm sorry but I found your post humorous, not because of your issues but the fact that I have seen this so often now, that I can choose to groan or laugh.

I don't know if you have seen the post where we recommend that the VF web team have a look for you. They have had some very good successes (and some huge cock ups too) but if you choose to go this route, follow this link.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?213340-Vodafone-Webteam-for-Customers-With-Problems-**UPDATED-APRIL-2015-**&p=2343766&viewfull=1#post2343766

Follow the instructions fully and post up here the automated reply number so that the web team can find you in their system.

If you choose to go to court, you are going to have to start a paper trail. All contact needs to be in writing and you must give them the chance to rectify before sending a Letter Before Action.

VF don't care about court as if they lost, they would pay out before the 28 day limit to avoid the CCJ being shown on their own files

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yes fill in SF's link. Wait for Lee to come along.

It doesnt surprise me about your issue in the slightest.

I wonder if this is because of their system migration! Wouldnt surprise me.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Is this enough grounds to take these inept crooks to county court? Im reading through the page on that now and seems like my only option at this point. I'd love to make an example of them this way.

Anyone else done this/thinking about doing it?

Thanks so much for reading and/or any help!

You need to write them a letter before action, to give them an opportunity to put things right. My own experience says that Vodafone will ignore your letter before action.

If you do decide to start legal action against vodafone, you may benefit from having a SAR. But my own experience and recorded phone call plus letter of confirmation from vodafone shows that Vodafone do not respond to SAR unless vodafones own SAR form is completed.

Good luck in dealing with this company. I am still in the process of taking them to court (there is a lot to learn).

All your problems have stemmed from an 'upgrade'... I think the best upgrade any vodafone customer can do is to upgrade to an entirely different network (a network that actually provides its customers with a reasonable level of service).

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated.

Silverfox Ive just followed that link and put the query through.

My reference is #10667726

p3t3r, agreed, though I have a nasty feeling that even cancelling contracts with these mugs will turn into another mission impossible.

Zero interest in interacting with any reps from this hideous company but if thats the best course of action at this point then so be it.

As much of a pain this may be, it is good to get a proper paper trail of events so far so that if you have to go to court, you can show the lengths you have had to go through to get the simplest things sorted.

I have spotted a word (or two) in your original post which I will edit slightly and PM you why.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thanks, silverfox.

Since Ive never done anything like this before, Im pretty ignorant of the protocol- how would I go about this paper trial?

Ive had a response from Lee stating that there's an 'open order' ($"£$%*$"!) on my account which needs closing and that he will check back on the 25th. He also stated that my account had been credited duly although I cannot see this but will ask him about that next. Also, I can only view our correspondence in my email -any way to see it on the website or do you submit a new form (and new reference #) for each reply?

And reading through that link, Im appalled that this company was so terrible even back then since up until this very year, I had the best experience with them so was under the impression that they'd taken a recent downturn. Clearly it was just my luck that ran out.

To get a paper trail of account events, send VF a SAR. We have a template letter in our library which you can use to do this. DO NOT fall for the VF line that you must use their own forms as this is total bowlarks (I am proof of this) The SAR costs a tenner.

This should return you with all the account history and hopefully interactions with you and the phone jockeys who can't be bothered to actually record the info properly which. If you can recall the dates and times of the telephone calls, they may still have them.

The other paper trail is now the contact made with VF. No phone calls so any emails sent and received and all letters photocopied before sending and making copies of all letters received.

A right pain in the posterior but important before court action.

Hi, Silverfox is right - you do not need to use vodafones forms for your SAR. The same has also been confirmed to me by the ICO.

Unfortunately, I have vodafone online chat records, phone records, plus a letter from Vodafone CEO department which all confirm that unless vodafones SAR form is completed, then they will not send you your SAR.

Vodafone are not adhering to the law in this regard!

So while you do not need their own specific form (legally), it seems that Vodafones policy overrides law.

Hi, Silverfox is right - you do not need to use vodafones forms for your SAR. The same has also been confirmed to me by the ICO.

Please would you post this ICO response.

Thank you

the ICO response was in a phone call so I can't post that, yet sorry, i need to work out how to get it from recording to pc. ICO confirmed in a phone call that vodafones specified SAR form is not needed.

But Vodafone insist otherwise... that their form is needed.

I do have a letter, written response from Vodafones CEO department which states:

Following our phone conversation I can confirm that we would need you to send us a request on our Subject Access Request form in order for us to complete this process
That letter was sent to me from Vodafone CEO department in relation to my complaint of Vodafone not processing my SAR because I had not completed their specified SAR form.

Also from vodafone rep via online chat:

Shruti : I am afraid, to get the SAR, you would need to fill a form and send it to DPA manager to get all the interactions on your account.

Shruti : I am afraid, Peter, the without the form being filled, we cannot provide interactions on your account. Let me provide a link to you which explains the same.

Shruti : As per the privacy policy of Vodafone, you can write to us at any time to get a copy of the personal information we hold about you. You can do this by filling in this application form and sending it to the address on the form. There’s a charge of £10 to cover the cost of providing this information.

peter: that is POLICY! you need to abide by LAW!

Shruti : I am afraid, we need to follow Vodafone's policy.

Shruti : Peter, every company has its own Policy and we cannot go against it. If you want the SAR, you would need to fill an application form which will go to DPA manager who will issue all the interactions for you.

im not sure why you need a copy of confirmation from ICO as you asked? i can send recording of it if needed but will take me a while to work out how. all ICO confirmed to me was the correct law, that vodafones SAR form is not needed for SAR.

Hi guys,

Hope youre all well.

I was holding off till the 25th since that was Lee's deadline to get back to me. He did respond (a sure first), saying my order was clear to go through and confirming the postal address but stating the wrong replacement handset - corrected him in my response.

I wonder if there's an easier way to reply to these messages than to fill out a fresh form everytime? Whats the point of the reference number if each subsequent form issues you a different number, I wonder.

Anyway, so far so bearable...will keep posted and thank you once again for the continued support.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, I've just replied to the latest mail - there's a problem with the site that I seem to encounter almost everytime I log in.

Quick update for you all: as my replacement handset is out of stock at local stores, Ive been given a link to order it via the website. However as said above, the site's down for maintenance as of the past 5-6 hours straight. This is a given almost every time I log in so not entirely surprised.

Hence the saga continues...

Once the site is up and running properly, order the new phone BUT make sure that Lee is informed so that you don't suddenly get either a new bill or a new contract. It wouldn't surprise me if something goes wrong.

Having said that, at least it's a start :|

You will probably still be writing in this thread a month from now as it can be seen that Vodafone are not really competent in dealing with customer problems / complaints / issues.

Personally, I would try to use your many problems as an excuse to leave this network completely and give your custom to another network that treats its customers with the respect that they deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo..for anyone wondering, we are still in limbo with Lee 'checking stock' as of the past nearly 2 weeks now.

I have said that should nothing be resolved by the end of this week, I will be escalating the matter.

Aaand thats all for now.

Soooo. 10 days later and still no further forward. You just couldn't make it up. Perhaps Lee can update us on why issues such as yours take so long to resolve.

Vf (in my opinion) are now beyond pathetic

Soooo..for anyone wondering, we are still in limbo with Lee 'checking stock' as of the past nearly 2 weeks now.

I have said that should nothing be resolved by the end of this week, I will be escalating the matter.

Aaand thats all for now.

What handset is (consistently) 'out of stock'?

Is there an alternative (of same or higher spec) that VF could provide? (Lee, given the delays and frustration the OP has faced, would an upgraded handset be an option if VF can't provide the OP with their handset of choice within, say, a further week?).

Alternatively, is the handset available SIM-Free on the open market? It wouldn't have VF's customisation, but you must be approaching the point at which you should be able to buy the handset elsewhere and go after Voda for the cost ......(subject to giving Voda fair warning and one last chance to come up with the goods, literally!).

You will probably still be writing in this thread a month from now as it can be seen that Vodafone are not really competent in dealing with customer problems / complaints / issues.

Personally, I would try to use your many problems as an excuse to leave this network completely and give your custom to another network that treats its customers with the respect that they deserve.

Seconded.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Meh... Sounds like a real ClusterF***

Vodafone's handsets all have special software on them so going unlocked is the best way forward. But Vodafone wont cough up.

I would suggest amending the handset to something else that is in stock if possible.

Lee; I would agree with above. This needs to resolved somehow or someone way and sharpish.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Oh, clusterf*** is exactly right.

This is the Blackberry Classic - I asked for it back in late April (!) instead of my original upgrade choice of BB Passport (total dud) - was assured it would be delivered pronto (lulz).

So TODAY, I just got an email from Voda about some kind of 'order' - now I havent placed a single order with them lately so if this mail is to be taken seriously at all, this should be my handset that Lee's been trying to acquire for a while now.

Of course, this presumes the email is worth actually considering and since Vodafone have lately taken to sending me texts with nothing but a full-stop in them, Im not exactly holding my breath over here...