style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd really love to know if anyone has knowedge of building rules with regard to blocking a front door within a block of flats. My local authority freeholder is electrical rising works on me and I have walked out of my front door onto the common hallway this morning to discover chalk marks on the lino of where they intend to install - 13 inches in front of my front door.

So basically they intend to put a box with electrical cables about 13 inches away from my front door on the LHS ( side with hinge) as you exit. The markings suggest a box 18 inches by 8 inches protrusion from the wall which is at right angles to the door( if that makes sense). Are there any building regs etc that could possibly stop them placing this there. At the moment I can't telll for sure but it looks likely it will make it more difficult to get my buggy etc in and out of the door (not impossible but certainly much less easy)

I am pretty much in anguish over this project and this is the final straw - if it looks bad right outside the front door it might make it harder to sell the property and I have no choice to sell because I cant afford the works forced on me. This was their solution as to how I pay the bill, even though I'm on my own with a one year old!

Bill is £10k of of works on me alone this financial year, with an additional £3k to go outside contractors ( who I must pay contract and pay seperately, although Freeholder's electricians will cut off my electricity if I don't do it, because it wont math their upgraded electrics.) I am also being forced to pay for further works next financial year of £3-5k ( they've refused to give proper notice of the next bill to come).

Anyway. the workmen are here with their drills today ( only got notice at 5pm last night drilling today) so if anyone knows of any urgent way to stop them blocking the door thats most urgent and I'd really appreciate it.

This sounds like a health and safety issue ( blocking escape route! ).

Suggest you send a photo to LL ( freeholder or whoever is arranging the works and point this out ).

Also may worth contacting local council environmental health dept.

As for upgrade electrical work, this would be in your lease, regarding what you pay and notice etc.

May be worth contacting Andydd on here, as he is our Lease expert.

It is hard to comment without seeing pics of current situation.

Why not ask FB Fire Safety Inspector for a site inspection?

from what is described, it may only be external meter box for the ind flat. Are similar areas marked out in same rel position for other flats in the block?

Not sure what you mean by "My local authority freeholder is electrical rising works on me " but I get the gist of it.

The area is probably a communal area that is demised to the freeholder and he can within reason do what he likes to it, the lease will probably give you access rights over it and as long as he is not taking them away permanently then I cant see an issue, whether it makes it harder to sell the property is not really the question, you don't actually own the property, in leasehold you only actually rent the flat in question and the communal area belongs to the FH.

The lease normally gives the FH rights to enter certain parts and do repairs to cables/gas lines etc and as long as he has given you notice and health and safety laws are complied with I don't really see an issue.

If you wish to dispute the cost then this is something different, LH's are given many rights to withhold service charges under certain circumstances and to question works which are excessive in cost, unreasonable or of poor quality.

You say they are blocking the door but surely this would only be for a short period ?. Did you receive a S20 Notice, this must be sent to LH's if works will cost them more than £250 each, this gives you rights to question the works and nominate alternative contractors, etc