Council tax benefit whilst unemployed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I was unemployed in April/May 2015 and whilst getting JSA applied for council tax benefit. When I received the full bill, I wrote to said council to tell them there should be reduction for that period as I was receiving JSA.

The reply

"With regards to 2015/16 bill, you have not been granted any council tax benefits, therefore, you are liable to pay full council tax as per the bill you received. Please pay the outstanding instalments by return".

They granted benefits in the past so how do I take this forward? I was not earning whilst unemployed yet they are not going to grant any benefit whatsoever. Should I escalate the complaint?

Many thanks in advance.

Council Tax Benefit no longer exists, it was been replaced with a localised scheme run by each council.

Providing the scheme meets the basic statutory requirements then how they pay and what they pay within that scheme is at the discretion of the council. You can ask them however to look at their decision and re-consider it.