Reasonable Adjustments Equality Act 2010

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.I have various reasonable adjustments at work, but I'm struggling with my employer over an issue that affects the very start and end of the working day.We have to fill in a time sheet sort of thing which shows what time we arrive, what time we have dinner and what time we leave. You are not deemed to thave started work until you have logged into the computer and logged onto the system. This can take 5/10/15 minutes depending on any system updates that have taken place, or whether your PC decides not to play ball.After that you have a maximum of 5 minutes 'logging on time' before you have to start taking calls (call centre). The 5 minutes is there to allow you time to get your equipment out, open all other necessary systems, get a drink, get comfortable, etc etc.I have problems with chronic pain and mobility, therefore getting a drink etc takes me longer to do.There's then also the issue of my medications.I have a specific routine with my meds which I have had for a couple of years. My meds are taken at the same time every day and this helps to manage the condition.Originally this routine was set around the time I got into work. I wouldn't take my meds before driving into work due to the nature of them, so I would take them after I had arrived. Some of the meds have changed but the routine has stayed the same, i.e. I no longer have any modified release pills that have to be taken 12 hours apart.Recently I have been awarded access to work and now get a taxi to and from work.

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

Recently I have been awarded access to work and now get a taxi to and from work. my employer has taken the stance that this change now means that as I don't drive to work any longer that I am somehow pain free in the morning and so don't need to take my meds when I get to work and should instead take them at home.My argument is that a routine has been established and that changes to that could be detrimental to the management of the condition.It is my belief that it is reasonable for adjustments to be made to a) allow longer than 5 minutes for logging on in the morning due to the need to get a drink etc which takes longer to do with limited mobilityb) allow time within this 'logging on' period for me to take my morning dose of medications (all other doses I take during my morning/afternoon breaks and at dinner time, so in my own time).I'm not asking for the logging on time to be extended to 30mins or an hour as that would be stupid, I'm merely asking that it be extended to 10/15 minutes to give me time to get sorted before starting work.Any advice appreciated.

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

I'm not totally sure why the answer is not to arrive at work earlier?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I'm not totally sure why the answer is not to arrive at work earlier?

It‘s not that sort of deal.

It‘s not like there‘s a hooter that goes off at 9am and that when you start and finish at the hooter at 5.

Generally it‘s not possible to get in any earlier as I get my kids ready for school in the morning whilst my wife works then I go raight to work after they have gone.

Whatever time I get in is the time I log onto the system.

So like today, my shift is scheduled to start at 9:45, I arrived at 9:30 as traffic was good. I turned on the PC at 9:30 and waited for it to load up and logged into the system at 9:35, so I put 9:35 into the time sheet as my start time, therefore I gain 10 minutes ‘flexi‘. By the employers rules then I have 5 minutes to get all other systems up, get a drink, get seated and settled, take my meds etc etc. If I go over that 5 mnutes it automatically goes onto a discrepancy list and I get questioned about why its taken longer than 5 minutes.

My argument is that it would be entirely reasonable to extend that 5 minute logging on period to 10 minutes to allow me extra time to get a drink and take my meds (which involves measuring out meds with a syringe), get seated and comfortable etc before taking the first call.

If you arrive at 09:30 what stops you taking the medication before starting up the computer?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Generally it‘s not possible to get in any earlier as I get my kids ready for school in the morning whilst my wife works then I go raight to work after they have gone.

If the problem is the kids, then you need a family friendly flexible working request, not a disabilty adjustment. IMO your request is not "reasonable" because it's required because of your domestic situation - not your disability.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

but then I‘m losing out on the 10 minutes flexi. How is that fair? it may onl be 5 or 10 minutes, but 5 or 10 minutes a day for 4 days a week, 52 weeks a year is a lot of time.

then there are the days I get to work at at 9:45 or even later, in these cases I would be losing a further 5 minutes.

The employer is already doing everyone out of 5/10 minutes every day by not counting the time that it takes to turn on the PC and for it to load up as ‘working time‘ for the purposes of the time sheet.

I don‘t know about anyone else but I consider that as I need a PC to perform the duties of my role, then turning the thing on is part of work, and so the time on the time sheet should reflect this. They claim it isn‘t part of the working day.

I was always of the opinion that reasonable adjustments were put inplace to help those with disabilities, illnesses to be on an equal footing to those without medical issues/disabilities?

If the problem is the kids, then you need a family friendly flexible working request, not a disabilty adjustment. IMO your request is not "reasonable" because it's required because of your domestic situation - not your disability.

How do you work that one out. It‘s a problem because a) I take medications, for my disability, at work which takes time to measure out and take, and b) it takes me longer to get to and from the kitchen/drinks machine due to the mobility problems I have. Therefore the 5 minutes logging on time isn‘t long enough and IMO the adjustment is to extend it by 5 minutes.

It wouldn‘t matter if I got to work 1 hr early, the 5 minutes logging on time still wouldn‘t be long enough. It‘s the logging on time that is the issue.

The employer is already doing everyone out of 5/10 minutes every day by not counting the time that it takes to turn on the PC and for it to load up as ‘working time‘ for the purposes of the time sheet.

That's a matter for your union, then, if everyone thinks it is unfair.

I still think you are making mountain out of a molehill and should just get on with it. With modern syringes measuring and injecting takes a matter of seconds.

But by all means try it in court ....

How do you work that one out. It‘s a problem because a) I take medications, for my disability, at work which takes time to measure out and take, and b) it takes me longer to get to and from the kitchen/drinks machine due to the mobility problems I have. Therefore the 5 minutes logging on time isn‘t long enough and IMO the adjustment is to extend it by 5 minutes.

It wouldn‘t matter if I got to work 1 hr early, the 5 minutes logging on time still wouldn‘t be long enough. It‘s the logging on time that is the issue.

So do stuff on your wn time, before you log on. Or take a flask of tea from home. So many options.....

Having working in a few big call centres, 5 minutes slack time to get a coffee and take some meds seems quite generous, many employers would expect you to do this before 'clocking in'.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.