Personal information.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Partner started with new firm in April, then on 16 June told no longer need h as that deparent going due to funding. And was asked to work till Sunday but we're ok if I didn't.

He goes on to see no heating, no phone and car had not been paid so he was not covered to drive it, and hmrc were cling out Tuesday. So he got his personal file containing our bank details etc, had a call an hour ago to bring back file as they legal need it, are they right?

If any of the documents are originals, like birth cert then they are yours and nowt to do with the business. If just a photocopy then it wouldnt really matter one way or the other but may be considered to be belonging to the company and so it could be reported as theft..

It is very standard for employers to retain a copy of some employee documents. The main reason which springs to mind is immigration law - employers need to be able to prove that they have conducted proper checks to ensure that someone has the right to remain in the UK. If they don't do this there is the possibility of very hefty fines. See https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work.

If he is no longer working there then I don't think they need his bank details or photos. I'm sure they already have his bank details stored on their payroll system anyway. But they may need a copy of the birth certificate if this was used for immigration checks.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only thing an employer can do with bank details is pay in, not take out?

Therefore unless they intend breach the DPA by giving access to others (excluding the Vatman etc.) i see nothing to worry about whatsoever in them having them.

There may even be a requirement to hold this data for a period of time but this is a guess.

It is a legal requirement for a company to retain ex-employees information for a period of time after they leave.

I have had jobs whereby we were contacted by authorities needing information for fraud investigation purposes for example, and we had a legal obligation to provide all relevant personal information (including bank details) else we faced prosecution.

It also protects both the former employee and employer in case a dispute arises about their contract, pay, etc.

Stealing and/or removing things from a personnel file is not a smart thing to do and could have repercussions later down the line.

They may need info for tax purposes too. The file should have been in a secure place so it's worrying that it could just be taken.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.