style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1581 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello , I have read many different stories on here and so far , Ive learnt that I have to ignore them . What happened was I took something only worth £3 out of stupidity as I clearly can afford it. I got taken to the small room, I'm only 16 and didn't have ID with me so they made me write my name , date of birth and address down and checked if it was the same as what one of my siblings gave in. The police weren't called and they took my picture to stick up on their .."wall of fame " which I thought was stupid as I already wasn't feeling well and it seemed as if they were making a joke out of it . Anyway , they then gave me the RLP letter and let us go . I have already learnt to ignore their letters because I honestly think £100+ is too much to pay for something only £3 . What I am worried about is that will the letters come through with my name or my parents as I am only 16? They also asked for my phone number as well . I will just ignore all of their letters , but I am worried that they won't give up sending letters , and if they say that they will redirect the issue back to their client , does this mean they will contact boots and let them know about me not paying ? Surely boots will then have the right to get the police involved ? Also can I rest assured about this not getting noted down in any criminal records of mine ? Therefore I don't have to tick any boxes if I apply for jobs and get asked for my record ?

Please help , not that I am worried sick as I'm not . But I still am anxious about the issue getting the polive involved for something so minor . It's also my first and last time shoplifting ...

Thanks

This thread is for someone in a similar situation and answers your questions.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?446167-RLP-letter-from-Boots

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I assume this is lesson learned so onwards and upwards from this.

First of all, Boots had the opportunity to get the police involved at the time. The security decided not to do so. Therefore, they can no longer explore that avenue.

As you are now aware, RLP have no power to do anything. They are likely to pass this 'liability' on to their pet DCA of choice who have even less power than RLP. In the end, they will pass the file back to Boots who will do precisely....nothing!

Now the problems. RLP have been known to frank their envelopes with 'Retail Loss Prevention. They don't care how much this will embarrass you as all they want is the money. Also, RLP 'may' contact your parents. I say MAY as I have seen two documents where RLP say they can contact parents and another where they say they won't. Until I get clarification on that, I would assume they may still contact your parents.

While this may be totally embarrassing to you, it is a good idea to 'fess up' to your parents. Once they are aware of your situation, they can then be directed here to see just how much power RLP have and to give you support. Obviously I don't know your family circumstances so that has to be a choice made with caution.

We at CAG will not put you down for your choice at the time. We just try to help and have the ultimate goal of shutting down this sham of a company.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hey! Thank you for the replies . In my situation, I think it's best if I don't let my parents know just yet , but hopefully they won't get in contact with them anyway . I will do as you guys say as you're experienced with these things and you're positive they won't drag me to court. I'll ignore them and see what happens !

In my situation, I think it's best if I don't let my parents know just yet

RLP has contacted parents in the past, so it may well be best to talk it over with them sooner rather than later.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

RLP has contacted parents in the past, so it may well be best to talk it over with them sooner rather than later.

This is true but easily circumvented although it means one letter to RLP stating:

1) Any liability to you or any company you claim to represent is denied

2) I refuse permission for you to contact any third party in accordance with my rights under the data Protection Act 1998

Digitally signed.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Actually, you say the security confirmed your name and address with a sibling??

If so, and if your sibling is aware of your situation, you could also tell RLP to contact you via the siblings address

On the information sheet that they gave me , it states "In principal the Data Protection Act 1998 does not prevent the use of data for civil recovery purposes provided that the data protection principles are complied with. You are notified that the personal information held about you may be passed to the police for criminal proceedings and to Retail Loss Prevention Limited for civil recovery proceedings "

Does this mean I can't send them the letter as they have clearly said the act doesn't prevent anything ?

It is what they are NOT telling you that is important. Yes, they can pass your details to the police for crime prevention/deterrent purposes but RLP are not the victim of crime nor can they tell the police to act. Only Boots can do this at the time but they didn't bother so that avenue has long gone.

This is from a FAQ which RLP send out regarding personal data.

What is the Position With – My Data, Any Information I Provide to you – The Data Protection Act

Any information you supply will be used for the sole purpose of determining whether to proceed with the claim. It will not be processed further or passed to any third party. It will be confidentially destroyed. If you believe the information we hold is not accurate it is for you to advise us so we hold an accurate account which the DPA requires. Please see the reverse of our letter for more DPA information.

however in a section from their website they state this.

Why does RLP write to the juvenile and not their parents?

If RLP wrote to the parents it would be an infringement of the juvenile’s rights, (similar to that of doctor/patient confidentiality). RLP advises the juvenile to discuss the matter with their parents or guardian who can assist in their best interests. (It is a fundamental principle of data protection that the Data Protection Act confers rights on the data subject i.e. the juvenile. Juveniles have the same rights as adults under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act to respect for private and family life and in relation to correspondence. Disclosing sensitive personal data relating to a juvenile without consent or the grounds to do so would be a breach of their human rights, as well as their data protection rights.) This needs to be balanced with the juvenile’s ability to understand their rights and consideration of the best interests of the juvenile. Where there is any doubt, or where parents are already aware of the incident, the client reporting the case for civil recovery will advise RLP who will write to the parents as well as the juvenile.

So which is correct? I have no idea.

Right, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions . I guess the RLP will eventually inform boots about me not paying their "debts" . But as far as I'm aware , boots won't want to take a 16 year old to court as this could potentially harm their name ? I'll ignore them when they start to send the letters , I'll just have to learn to not worry so much

I'll just have to learn to not worry so much

And not be silly enough to do it again.