Stolen But In A Stupid Way That I Cant Report It??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again,

Yet again something absolutely stupid has happened to me. My car has been stolen, but it couldn't be that simple.

I have a red Alfa Romeo, SORN and uninsured, I took the engine out of it an transplanted it in my car, and took a few other bits and bats so it was just a rolling shell full of junk (became our skip as we knew we were getting rid).

We towed it to the local scrap yard this morning (on an A frame which wasn't really legal). When we got to the gates, we realised we had forgot the V5. So unhooked the car, drove home and got it. When we got back to the scrap yard they were closed and the car was gone. It has no engine so it cant have been drove and the sod was heavy, on space saver wheels and with partially seized brakes so couldnt have been pushed.

You can see the full scrap yard and it isnt in there, what do I do?

It was towed illegally by my friend so I dont want him to get in trouble if they see him on CCTV. We also technically abandoned it to get the V5 so dont want the 2.5k fine for abandoning a vehicle. But I also dont want it to crop up a few months down the line when its found burned out, or dumped somewhere. So I cant really report it stolen can I? Also what do I do, just keep sorning it every year??

Sounds like a fine mess ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58020[/ATTACH]

However, it may well be that technically you haven't abandoned it.

Abandonment means to leave an item without any intention to return and with an intention not give up ownership so that the thing becomes a "res nullius" - a no thing.

I don't think that happened here. Please link me to the offence in question.

Whatever, I don't think that you want this problem following you around and so the best thing is to report it and to be straight about it so that at least any hole you are in will stop getting any deeper and you will still be able to climb out.

Do you think the Police will be that interested in investigating when they are struggling with resources ? I think you just need to tell them that the car was towed to just outside the scrapyard, you had to return home to get the V5 and when you got back the car had vanished. It will just get reported as stolen and you should report this to DVLA as well. That will be the end of the matter, unless it turns up.

I suspect that someone connected to the scrapyard has taken it to strip it down for parts to sell and the rest will go in with other misc scrap. Old cars are worth more now to strip into parts and the rest will go through the crusher.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's millions to one that it will be restored and put back on the road, so just sign your bit of the V5 and send it off to the DVLA as scrapped.

I though you had to get a certificate from the scrappers to do that .

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There's nothing to stop a person dismantling the bodywork and selling the panels until there is nothing left so that would be scrapped.

My partner restores cars as a hobby, you definately need a certificate of destruction from a scrap yard. As we dismantled for parts and still had to take the chassis plates to scrappy.

I don't think police will investigate but I am worried if it's an inspection week or something and their all on best behaviour. Knowing my luck it would be the one claim the do investigate.

I don't think it will be restored. There are only 33 left in the uk and I owned 4,and you can't pay people to take them.

Has anyone ever got fined for a car being burned out somewhere

So are you saying you had to take the bulkhead and boot floor etc to the scrappy, with the number etched into the metal, what if they had been purchased ?

Ok, I understand there is a fee, so update what I said earlier, any way they can make a penny they will.

In the past I had to take the metal plate from the chassis into scrapyard to get a cert of destruction.

I just bit the bullet today and reported it stolen :/ hopefully thats the last I will here.

You can now give the DVLA a crime number should they require one. Very unlikely you will hear anything as the police don't have the resources and if it was taken into the scrappy and they visit, the scrappy only has to say it was abandoned outside there gate.