17 year old leaving college, what now

bcham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi.im a single unemployed dad.i receive tax credits for my son,who might be leaving college next week unless he can get on an I.T course,

which hes trying to do. if he leaves should i contact tax credits and tell them hes left,

only thing is then we will both be living on £73 a week.

i thought ft education was compulsory up to age 18 now?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

i thought ft education was compulsory up to age 18 now?

Depends what country you are in - https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

OP you may be able to get CTC for an extra 20 weeks or until your child turns 18 (which ever is earlier) if he registers with the local careers service, Connexions or local authority support service (or the Education and Library Board in Northern Ireland)

If he's able to work, he might be bale to claim JSA. (some 17 year olds can claim JSA) If he's unable to work, he claim ESA.

hes able to work but can not find a job.hence why hes trying to get another course.at college.

Your main question is - should you tell them.

Yes you should.

If you don't, life could get even more difficult later on.

Keep as straight about everything as you can. It is simply one less thing to worry about down the line

If you do not tell them

Anytie in your life time they may claw back the overpayment AND it will NEVER be statute barred!!

You may be investigated for fraud as you have not informed them in a change of circumstances.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Why would he not get on the IT course, is it based on grades?

My 18 yr old is just finishing a years Childcare course at college & decided childcare isn't for her so she's applied for another course for 2 years. Which will mean for a few months once she turns 20, I will be brassic lint, which happened with my son this year (thankfully he just started a full time job at Fujitsu the monday after he finished college on the friday)

If you have a Fujitsu near you, they take a LOT of people on every few months in I.T customer service, no experience necessary. £6.50 an hour.

But my daughter bless her is NOT academic & has taken courses not dependant on grades. But if she was into I.T, I would have encouraged her to go for Fujitsu (or similar)