style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, if it isn't if anybody knows where I'm best asking I'd really appreciate it. I've already rang citizen's advice who put me through to Shelter but every time I call there are no advisers available and no waiting to get through to someone.

As basically as I can put this; I'm 21 and inexperienced in renting, I have an almost 2 year old. I viewed a private property to rent on the 12th May, paid 150 plus 30 VAT to "secure the house" and for admin fees (Entwistle Green originally wanted 260 but we talked them down). I was due to move in a week later, the day before I was due to move in Entwistle Green rang me to say they have to move the move in date to the 28th because the landlord has had to order a part for the boiler.

When we went to view the house there was nothing really too bad about it except previous tenants small graffiti on the front of the house and missing garden fence panels which the lady said would be sorted before we moved in.

We finally got the keys at 6pm on the 28th May, excited to get all our furniture in and live there until we got into the proprrty. The kitchen had been trashed, the house was a mess, only half a boiler was there and there was no gas supply.

We have already paid deposit and 1 months rent in advance, and its now the 5th and we still can't live in the house, the whole thing has been a nightmare.

I was wondering if I have to pay rent for the time that there is no gas supply and I can't live in the house with my son.

by no gas supply I mean after us viewing the house there was a break in with no forced entry according to the gas contractor where the boiler was ripped off the wall, the kitchen damaged and the gas metre pulled off the wall outside in the side place. National grid won't fit a metre because the gas box is damaged, we've had a nightmare trying to get the landlord to replace the box, which he's finally told me that it will be delivered on Tuesday 10th and then it could take up to 11 days after that for national grid to come back out and a gas metre.

Do I have to pay rent when I can't live there with my baby?

Hi,

Thank you I've tried phoning Shelter yesterday and today but every time I phone it says sorry there are no advisers available at the moment and then the only other option then but to ring back. I even tried phoning my nearest branch and the next drop in session is Thursday.

X

No Shelter face-to-face services near you?

Your local council, Citizens Advice or another local advice centre may be able to help you.

Alternatively, you can:

• try searching for more information on Directgov or the Community Legal Advice website.
  • request a call back from the Community Legal Advice helpline (0845 345 4 345 – Shelter is one of the organisations operating this service)
  • call Shelter’s free national helpline on 0808 800 4444 (please note that this service gets very busy at times)

A few basics;

Have you actually signed an AST yet? but does not really matter as you have paid, but would be an extra.

Did you pay a deposit, which has to be protected; usually a months yet or so.

Anyway you would have a valid claim against the LL for breach of contract, and you should keep a record of all out of pocket expenses and inconvenience.

I suggest you email the LL, and Agent to tell them what this is costing you to keep waiting, extra rent/monies/moving changes and ask tell them you will be sending them the bill and of course if you still want to move in you will not be paying any rent until you can.

A few basics;

Have you actually signed an AST yet? but does not really matter as you have paid, but would be an extra.

Did you pay a deposit, which has to be protected; usually a months yet or so.

Anyway you would have a valid claim against the LL for breach of contract, and you should keep a record of all out of pocket expenses and inconvenience.

I suggest you email the LL, and Agent to tell them what this is costing you to keep waiting, extra rent/monies/moving changes and ask tell them you will be sending them the bill and of course if you still want to move in you will not be paying any rent until you can.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Is an AST the tenancy agreement? If so I have signed that. I have recieved a letter in the post along with an inventory that asks me to acknowledge and sign that I have received letters confirming safety checks (I haven't and none have been done because there isnt any gas) no electrical safety checks have been done either. And in the middle of these it says I acknowledge there is no gas supply. It seems dodgy I dont know whether to sign or not, it seems like I should have had this letter prior to moving in.