• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PRA Group claimform old MBNA card 'debt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I have received court papers for a old MBNA Credit Carddebt that has been sold to PRA Group (Aktiv Kapital).

The last payment date was 3rd Feb 2009 and

have read some excellent posts on here and

have written to the cliamant informing that the debt is staued barred

and also completed my defence citing section 5 of the Limitation Act

However I have recieved a letter today from the claimants solicitor saying

" with respect, we disagree with you statement. The 6 year period runs from the date the cause of action accrued and in this case it is when the Deafult Notice was served on you.

Therefore, the claim has been brought within the 6 year period and is not stauted barred.

Please can someone help with a response.

Kind regards

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks fkofilee

Court action was issued on 20th May 2015 and last payment was made on the 3rd Feb 2009.

Where does it say last payment plus 2 months?

Have you got a reponse I should send to the solicitor, or do I just ignore and defend in court.

Kind regards

File AOS online.

Last payment was by your records 3/2/09 - 6 years is 3/2/15.

Adding 3 months to this is 3rd May 2015 (outside needed is 3 months).

SB IMHO is the defense.

Wait for the SCC action to be withdrawn. They will be pushing a 10 ton boulder up everest to continue.

In the meantime file the CPR request to the solicitor to get the documents they rely on to keep them occupied.

N

I would suggest that you try response such as the following:

You are quite wrong that the cause of action begins from the time that a default was issued.

The cause of action arises from the date of the first missed payment – in other words the breach of the contract.

This is a matter of law. An alleged creditor is not given any right in law to decide for himself when the cause of action will begin simply by issuing a default notice. If this was the case, then it would frustrate the law relating to limitations completely.

Limitation period is not administrative period which did ends upon the whim of an alleged creditor. It is a matter of law decided by parliament.

If you think that this is wrong then go ahead and issue the claim and we will discuss it with the judge.

In the meantime you are notice that the matter is statute barred and that you are prevented by the CONC rules from pursuing me any further.

I would suggest that you try response such as the following:

Many thanks Bankfodder, will get letter draft and sent recorded delivery Monday.

Kind regards

can you fill this out please

and have you ack'd the claim yet defend all?

how far are you in

have you filed the SB defence?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-December-2014**(1-Viewing)-nbsp

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Received the following response from my letter that I sent as advised by bankfodder.

We disagree with the suggestion made in your letter that this debt is statue barred. The limitation period of 6 years runs from the date a casue of action arises.

The cause of action arose following a default notice being sent to you, as provided for by Section 87 (1) of the consumer credit act 1974.

That notice required you to remedy the breach of the agreement and identified the consequences of failing to do so.

That consequences was termination of the agreement.

The default notice was sent to you on the 9th October 2009.

Had you paid the arrears, then the agreement would have continued.

You failed to pay the arrears and the agreement was then terminated and the total outstanding balance due in full.

Accordingly, the limitation period begins to run from when you failed to pay the arrears as demanded and the agreement was terminated.

The claim is therefore within time and not statue barred.

The difference between this agreement and one where the last payment made gives rise to cause of action is that this was

a "running agreement" with rights and obligatios on both parties until such time as these were brought to an end or terminated by either party"

We trust our client's position is clear and confirm that we are instructed to proceed with the claim.

As we obviously take the view that this debt is not statue barred we also take the view that the FCA rules set in CONC do nto apply.

Other issues I have noticed

1) The credit agrrement is unreadable

2) The default notice was sent on the 9th October 2009, given until 26th October 2009, yet I received a lettter on the 23rd October 2009

saying the debt had been sold, therefore the account was terminated during the default period.

Please can someone help and advise.

"The difference between this agreement and one where the last payment made gives rise to cause of action is that this was a "running agreement" with rights and obligations on both parties until such time as these were brought to an end or terminated by either party" :???:

Well the default Notice states when it should be paid by otherwise its terminated

The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for simple contract debts (running credit), is usually when your agreement says the creditor is able to take court action because you have fallen behind with payments. This will usually be after one or two missed payments. Sometimes, a debt will have no set repayment time. For these sorts of debts, working out the cause of action is more difficult.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

what was the date of the claimform please

you didn't fill that link in.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx100uk

Name of Claimant: PRA Group UK

Court Issue Date: 20th May 2015

Defence by: 19th June 2015 (I have already put in a defence at present of statute-barred, the court have written to the claimant and provided them with 28 days to see if they want to proceed.

Particulars of Claim:

1.The claim is for recovery of an account due under a credit agreement which has been subsequently legally assigned to the claimant.

Particulars of claim will be served within 14 days of service of the summons including a claim for interest under s69 county court act 1984 from the date of termination to the date hereof of 8.00% being £4883.90 & further interest on a daily basis until payment or judgement at a daily rate of £2.41p.

Value of Claim: £16,702.63, Account claimed £15,887.68, Court fee £714.95, Solicitors Cost £100

Claim is for a Credit Card

Original Agreement: 20th November 2004

Notice of assignment:

In the court bundle there is a letter from Experto Credite dated 23rd October 2009 (during the default notice period that Varde Investments have purchased the debt, under the terms of the assignment Experton Credite has been appointed by Varde Investments to recover all outstanding sums).

Default Noitice: MBNA dated 9th October 2009, In order to remedy this breach we must receive a payment of £1454.65 by 26th October 2009. Your account balance is currently £11003.78.

Payment: Last payment on account was made on the 3rd February 2009.

No attempt to settle the debt, admit the debt or enter in to a debt management plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Not until we know if they wish to proceed or whether it is stayed after the 28 days.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks Andyorch

I received yesterday notice of proposed allocation to the Fast Track by court.

Also by the 24th July I need to complete the following

Complete the Directions Questionaire.

Attempt to agree directions with all parties

File proposed directions (whether or not agreed) with the Directions Questionaire.

Please can someone help, also does this mean that the claimant has responded to the court to say that they want to proceed with the claim.

Kind regards

So they have proceeded...hence the N181...this is known as the Allocation stage....bump your thread a bit nearer the date (say a week) to submit and Ill run through the completion and advise on directions.

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy

Regarding an update.

I have received last week a letter from the claimaints solicitor giving me 14 dyas to accept there draft directions.

They are:-

1) The claim is allocated to fast track.

2) Disclosure of documents shall be dealt with as follows

a) Both parties shall give each other standard disclosure by list, the lists to be served at 4pm on 21st August 2015.

b) Any request for a copy, or inspection, of any document shall be complied with by 4pm on the 4th September 2015.

3) Both parties shall, by 4pm on 2nd October, serve the witness statements of all witnesses (other than expert witnesses) on whom the party intends to rely including the partys own statement.

4) The parties may not rely on or adduce the evidence of any witness whose statement has not been served in accordance with this order without further permission form the court.

5) Completed pre-trial checklists shall be sent to the court by 4pm on 13th November 2015.

6) The claim shall be listed for trial during the trial window from MOnday 30th November 2015 - Friday 11th December inclusive with a time estimate of two hours.

At present they say I have 14 days to agree or amend the draft directions, I have recently sent a letter under CPR 31.14 asking for documents including a credit agrement which is legite as the one they sent is unreadable, providing them with 7 days for these documents.

Please can someone advise on what I should do regarding draft directions from the claimant.

I have also received a letter from the court informing me that the court has been moved to my home town.

thanks in advance!

Standard Fast Track directions johno I cant see any reason not to agree...if I may suggest one proviso...

a) Both parties shall give each other standard disclosure by list,all original documents to be disclosed, the lists to be served at 4pm on 21st August 2015.

Dont worry about the CPR for now...once the above is agreed copy it and attach to your N181...the N181 is relativity easy to complete ...post if you are unsure.

Andy

Thanks Andy

When u say originals do you mean copies, really can't read the credit agreement, need to see the original.

Also is it defo statute barred, feeling nervous now!

Can you guide me with N181 form, really lost

Thanks

Well the best original they have......no reconstituted version or Illegible microfiche copies. Dont worry the word " originals " will get your message across.

RE statute barred......

Default Noitice: MBNA dated 9th October 2009, In order to remedy this breach we must receive a payment of £1454.65 by 26th October 2009. Your account balance is currently £11003.78.

Payment: Last payment on account was made on the 3rd February 2009.

Claim issued 20th May 2015

Claimant states.....

"The difference between this agreement and one where the last payment made gives rise to cause of action is that this was a "running agreement" with rights and obligations on both parties until such time as these were brought to an end or terminated by either party"

The ICO would advise/direct that a default notice should be issued after 3 missed payments (May 09) not 8 months ( 9th October 09) they terminated the account 26th October 09 (17 days after issuing the DN)

You possibly breached the agreement 30 days after your last payment (3rd Feb 09) March or 60 days April or 90 days May.A creditor cannot expand/extend the statute of limitations by issuing a DN as and when it feels like.

I will post examples of how to complete the N181 tomorrow...getting tired now ...long day.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy

Just a bit lost with one point, if you could help.

I) Other information

Do you intend to make any applications in the future Yes/No

If Yes What for?

In the space below, set out any other information you consider will help the judge to manage the claim - Do i confirm my defence that it is SB?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Andy

Just a bit lost with one point, if you could help.

I) Other information

Do you intend to make any applications in the future Yes/No

If Yes What for?

Just state no for now...its a stupid question because if you said yes how would you know what for...it should give the option..Unsure...your reason.... depends on the court and claimant if they follow the correct process:madgrin:

In the space below, set out any other information you consider will help the judge to manage the claim - Do i confirm my defence that it is SB?

No you have already submitted your defence...the DQ is to allocate the claim not a further opportunity to add to your defence.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy for all your help really appreciated.

Ok I have found a bank statement dated 18th March 2009.

You have failed to make a minimum payment

Failing to make your minimum payment can mean that you have broken the terms of your credit agreement and could result in us taking legal action against you. It could lead to your having to pay additional costs and make it more difficult to obtain credit in the future.

Your account facility remains withdrawn.

Also statement dated 17th April 2009.

This statement is also your notice of default sums

One or more default sums for late, over limit or returned payments, is included in this month statement. Please see the transaction information for details of your default sums and the total of such sums. We are required by the consumer credit act 1974 to issue this notice.

Is this evidence as the date of cause of action and when the 6 years runs from for statute barred

Kind regards