• Tweets

• I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot/weightmans claimform - following SD set aside in 2013 - halifax Aqua Card ***Claim Discontinued***

Poppay2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andyorch Yes, I believe it was, I have it at home, have kept it. It was for the Argos claim. I'm at work at the moment, thankfully it is a bit of a slow day workwise.

So not this current claim......

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

the last payment that i can find a record of for Aqua was 1st June 2010, therefore not SB.

Hi Andyorch Yes, I believe it was, I have it at home, have kept it. It was for the Argos claim. I'm at work at the moment, thankfully it is a bit of a slow day workwise.

No, not for this current claim which is for Aqua.

unfortunately bank records only go back as far as April 2007, the earliest payment I can find for Aqua was April 2007. I will need to go through the paper records at home to find out if it started prior to 2007.

I have drafted the body of the Duplicate CCA letter as below

template removed please don't post our templates in the open forum - dx

My apologies

Name of the Claimant ? CABOT FINANCIAL UK LIMITED

Date of issue – 07 OCTOBER 2015

What is the claim for –

Particulars of the Claim

1. The Defendant entered into a credit agreement described by the original creditor as Bank of Scotland (AquaCard)- Credit Card and having account number *********** ('the Account').

2. The Claimant, a UK limited company with company number *******, is the assignee and legal owner of all rights previously enjoyed by the original creditor in respect of the Account.

3. The Defendant is indebted to the claimant in respect of the account in the sum of 2722

4. The Claimant claims the said sum of 2722, plus costs. court fee £105 Legal representatives costs £80 total 2907

What is the value of the claim? £2722.

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Credit Card

When did you enter into the original agreement before

or after 2007? Not sure, bank records online only go back as far as April 2007

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes and yes

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? no

Why did you cease payments? Reduced income

What was the date of your last payment? 01 June 2010

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Attempted to reach an agreement but they sold the debt without answering any of my letters

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor

and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes, all correspondence was ignored

Just going back over your thread.

As things stand, this will be easy to defend. It may be worth writing to the claimant pointing out that you have been told previously there is no agreement, and that in the absence of an agreement being produced prior to any hearing, you will seek costs (you really can do this, even in small claims where the claimant’s behaviour is unreasonable). You may even want to get lawyered up, as any solicitor worth their salt would lick their lips at this.

I am sending a short letter stating the following:

'I have been informed on previous occasions that there is no agreement held by Cabot .

In the absence of an agreement being produced prior to any hearing I will seek costs.'

I am thinking I should send a cca to Weghtmans, so as to cover myself in court?

I know i fell foul of not sending copies of all correspondence sent to the claimant, to the legal representative,

I recall the judge did reprimand me for that. I think I will also include a copy of the CCA request that I am also sending.

i am a bit stumped regarding the CPR31 request,

just read something that said I had to very exact as to the information I was requesting,

do I send this to Cbot and Weghtmans?

Just going back over your thread.

As things stand, this will be easy to defend. It may be worth writing to the claimant pointing out that you have been told previously there is no agreement, and that in the absence of an agreement being produced prior to any hearing, you will seek costs (you really can do this, even in small claims where the claimant’s behaviour is unreasonable). You may even want to get lawyered up, as any solicitor worth their salt would lick their lips at this.

I am sending a short letter stating the following: 'I have been informed on previous occasions that there is no agreement held by Cabot . In the absence of an agreement being produced prior to any hearing I will seek costs.' I am thinking I should send a cc to Weghtmans, so as to cover myself in court? I know i fell foul of not sending copies of all correspondence sent to the claimant, to the legal representative, I recall the judge did reprimand me for that. I think I will also include a copy of the CCA request that I am also sending.

It was up to the debt seller and buyer and anyone involved to ensure that issues like outstanding CCA requests were included part of the package sold. Caveat emptor. It’s their problem. Technically you don’t need to keep reminding them about the CCA request, but it’s just good practice and will make them look silly if they go to court and can’t come up with anything – they were warned.

No harm in copying in Weightmans. They will probably sh** a brick.

But do state specifically that as the owner of the alleged debt, they remain in default of a valid CCA request.

i am a bit stumped regarding the CPR31 request, just read something that said I had to very exact as to the information I was requesting, do I send this to Cbot and Weghtmans?

By being specific, it means you can only asks for items mentioned in the particulars of claim. They mention the credit agreement, so you are entitled to see it. Give them a problem by offering to go and inspect it, as you are allowed – after all, you are trying to establish their entitlement to the alleged debt and are entitled to see that the agreement is properly executed.

It was up to the debt seller and buyer and anyone involved to ensure that issues like outstanding CCA requests were included part of the package sold. Caveat emptor. It’s their problem. Technically you don’t need to keep reminding them about the CCA request, but it’s just good practice and will make them look silly if they go to court and can’t come up with anything – they were warned.

No harm in copying in Weightmans. They will probably sh** a brick.

But do state specifically that as the owner of the alleged debt, they remain in default of a valid CCA request.

It would be wonderful to think that Weightmans would be in the least bit perturbed by any correspondence I sent them, instead of myself being perturbed :) (and that is me putting things very politely) I will add the bit about the being the owner of the alleged debt they remain in default etc etc

By being specific, it means you can only asks for items mentioned in the particulars of claim. They mention the credit agreement, so you are entitled to see it. Give them a problem by offering to go and inspect it, as you are allowed – after all, you are trying to establish their entitlement to the alleged debt and are entitled to see that the agreement is properly executed.

Is there a template or guideline for writing a CPR31? I cannot seem to find one.

Is there a template or guideline for writing a CPR31? I cannot seem to find one.

No worries, found a template :)

I am struggling with the wording on how to offer inspecting the document myself. I am probably all cpr'd and cca'd out at the moment :) any ideas ?

I personally wouldn't worry Poppay....they are very unlikely to respond to your CPR request...let alone you get the chance to inspect any document....disclosure follows defence as directed by the court.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I personally wouldn't worry Poppay....they are very unlikely to respond to your CPR request...let alone you get the chance to inspect any document....disclosure follows defence as directed by the court.

It does indeed Andy, but as I mentioned it’s another way to show you are trying to work towards the ‘overriding objective’... can’t say they weren’t warned or put on notice.

After all, Poppay is just trying to save Cabot money... ;)

thanks everyone, it did help knowing that they will probably just discount the request. wasnt too worried about the wording after that. I will still send the CPR31, that way at least I am doing all that I can DonkeyB provided me with a chuckle, I certainly am trying to save Cabot money .. ha ha ha

Now, I just need to get the postal order for the CCA request and get the letters posted via recorded delivery

It does indeed Andy, but as I mentioned it’s another way to show you are trying to work towards the ‘overriding objective’... can’t say they weren’t warned or put on notice.

After all, Poppay is just trying to save Cabot money... ;)

Of course DB it should still be made:-)

Well that was quick, Weightmans have responded.

This is the first letter (both arrived yesterday)

PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

MISS

Contact Our Ref

Commercial Recoveries Marlin EMW

Your Ref *********************

Date ** October 201 5

Dear Madam

Our Client Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited

Legal Owner of Account: Cabot Financial (UK) Limited Account Number: ***********************************

Original Creditor: Bank of Scotland (Aqua Card) - Credit Card Claim Number: ***********************

We write to acknowledge receipt of your request for documents pursuant to section 77/ 78 of the Consumer Credit act 1974.

As indicated in previous correspondence, we are not the creditor to whom you owe the above balance;

we are solicitors instructed by Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited.

We do not have copies of any of the documents which you have requested.

We confirm we have today asked our client to send us copies of your agreement and your statements which we will then forward to you.

Yours faithfully Weightmans LLP

the 2nd letter

Dear Madam

Our Client: Cabot Financial (Marlin)

Limited Legal Owner of Account: Cabot Financial (UK) Limited

Account Number: ********************************

Original Creditor: Bank of Scotland (Aqua Card) - Credit Card Claim Number: ***************

Further to your correspondence dated ** October 2015,

we confirm we have requested a copy of your credit agreement from the original creditor.

It may take a period of time to obtain a copy of this document.

Once we are in receipt of the document however, it will be forwarded to you without delay.

Please note that once directions have been provided by the Court to take this matter to trial, a deadline will then be provided for both parties to disclose all documents on which they seek to rely on at trial.

As the documents which our client will seek to rely on are likely to include the document requested, you will be in receipt of the same in advance of any subsequent trial.

in accordance with CPR 15.2, you must file a defence to proceedings, by the deadline specified by the Court, should you wish to defend this claim to trial.

Our client is willing to provide you with an extension of 14 days to file your defence to proceedings.

Please ensure you notify the Court of the same, in writing, in accordance with CPR 15.

In the event that you fail to file a defence by the specified deadline, our client could request a default judgment be entered against you pursuant to CPR 15.3 and CPR 1 2.3

Please note, in the event that you fail to file a defence within the specified time period, resulting in our client obtaining a default judgment against you which you later seek to have set aside, we will draw the contents of this correspondence to the Court's attention both in opposition of your application to have the default judgment set aside and on the issue of costs.

We trust that the above clarifies our client's position but should you require any further information, please do not he sitate to contact a member of the Commercial Recoveries team. Yours faithfully Weightmans LLP

personally,

if you are going to take someone to court

dont you ensure that you have the said documentation?

I also like how they are granting me another 14 days to file a defence,

I believe I need to acknowledge service by the 24th of October,

whereby I can also request another 14 days from the date of acknowledgement to file a defence?

Unless my understanding of the court documents is skewed?

Poppay

Slight problem with that response. The issuing of legal proceedings does not remove their obligation to respond properly and within time limits to a valid CCA request. The two issues are not in any way linked, and they are deliberately misleading you by suggesting they are.

Any upcoming trial is irrelevant. For all they know, you might apply for a strike out if they don’t come up with the agreement within 12 days.

And once again, they admit they have issued a statement of truth in their claim based on a document they don’t have, haven’t seen, and have been told does not exist, according to the original creditor. So they lied in their statement of truth, which is something you must now put in your defence.

personally, if you are going to take someone to court dont you ensure that you have the said documentation? I also like how they are granting me another 14 days to file a defence, I believe I need to acknowledge service by the 24th of October, whereby I can also request another 14 days from the date of acknowledgement to file a defence? Unless my understanding of the court documents is skewed? Poppay

Exactly – sorry, didn’t see this post as it went to a new page.

Hi DonkeyB Your response has bouyed me up. These situations always leave me feeling a tad down, but definitely not out :). I'm so used to these companies lying that I dont see the wood for the trees, meaning it didnt click immediately that they lied on the claim form. Poppay

and you don't give/accept/agree to another 14 days extension....

for them to magic up paperwork!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and you don't give/accept/agree to another 14 days extension....

for them to magic up paperwork!

I didnt realise that is what they are after.

I interpreted it as they were letting me have the 14 days that I was already entitled through the court process.

Any correspondence to them from me, will be on the advice given from this site, as it has always stood me in good stead.

I am not going to make it easier for them as they would not afford me the same courtesy.

As I had not responded to any of their previous correspondence I guess they thought I was a 'slam dunk'!

Have I got them on the run I am asking myself now.

Hi DonkeyB Your response has bouyed me up. These situations always leave me feeling a tad down, but definitely not out :). I'm so used to these companies lying that I dont see the wood for the trees, meaning it didnt click immediately that they lied on the claim form. Poppay

Yes, they lied, and their admission confirms it. It’s an abuse of process, and in some cases judges are actually making something of it (though sadly most are not). Until the people who sign these PoCs and statements of truth are held to account for telling blatant lies, they will get away with it – there’s plenty of case law that says they can’t just rely on the ‘fact’ that there ‘would have been an agreement’.

But you need to bring it to the court’s attention in your defence, just as you will point out they have litigated when the know they remain in default of a valid CCA request. You have to play the game yourself, sadly.

You also need to be prepared for what to do in case an agreement miraculously appears, which is of course a possibility.

As DX has so rightly suggested, why let them have more time? And also, if they don’t come up with the goods in 12 days, you have every right – based on the history – to apply for a strike out.

I will definitely use it. I calculate the 12 days to be up by 25 October. I posted the request on evening of the 12th which means it would not have gone until the 13th and they would have recieved it on the 14th, Am I correct in calculations?

Sounds like it did go on 13th, they got it on 14th and responded on 14th if you received their response on 15th.

So go from 14th – is that the date on their letter? Must be!

It’s 12 working days if I remember correctly – so your due date is around 30th October.

You can get your defence in anyway, because that will move things on quickly. By their own admission they expect to miss the 12 day deadline. And they are already in default of the previous request – did you make it clear that this was a repeated CCA request?

Sounds like it did go on 13th, they got it on 14th and responded on 14th if you received their response on 15th.

So go from 14th – is that the date on their letter? Must be!

It’s 12 working days if I remember correctly – so your due date is around 30th October.

yes, 14th is the date on the letter

You can get your defence in anyway, because that will move things on quickly. By their own admission they expect to miss the 12 day deadline. And they are already in default of the previous request – did you make it clear that this was a repeated CCA request?

I sent the CCA request clearly stating that it was a duplicate request to Cbot and sent a copy of the request to Weightmans. Basically I ensured that both have copies of the correspondence that I sent to each of them. so I should work on my defence now, and not wait to see if they manage to supply a CCA?