Banking apps in andriod market

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone noticed that many banking apps now want to have access to more details on your mobile phone?

I was asked to update my banking app from the market store and found out by checking the new app permissions that they now want access to my internet browsing history and to have access to my contacts and to be able to modify and remove contacts!!!!

I have already fired off a complaint to the FCA and ICO regarding these apps and will have a response within 30 days.

this is seriously concerning and I will now review all of my other apps and have turned off several apps for wanting too much info. Why does a bank want access to your contacts list is amazing let alone wanting your browsing history.

My solution was to remove the installed internet program and install Mozilla and set it up to delete history on exit and use a proxy too. I have also installed some malware programs to verify that no other naughty stuff has been sneaked in by previous apps.

The android app market is getting way above their station in allowing carte blanch access

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

This is why the fca and ico struggle to respond to legitimate queries in a timely fashion as it has to waste time on fantasy issues of the uber paranoid.

What are you on about... Tin foil hats and contacts, a banking app does not need to edit or remove this info, anyway here is the reply from the FCA

Thanks for including us into your email regarding your Nationwide banking app where you have concerns over information it is requesting from you. I am sorry to hear what you have experienced.

Your complaint:

We, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulate Nationwide Building Society for any regulated activities they undertake in the UK, however, we do not have the powers to intervene or comment on your specifically case but we are interested in the information you have provided about Nationwide activities.

Your next steps:

Nationwide are best placed to answer your queries and I can see that you have already made a formal complaint to them about this. If they are unable to resolve the matter or respond to you within eight weeks, then you can follow the complaints process we expect the firms we regulate to follow.

The Ombudsman has been set up by government to act as an adjudicator between a firm and a consumer to help settle disputes, they are free and impartial and their decision is binding on the firm but not on you. The FCA is unable to take forward this complaint for you, this is because the Ombudsman has been given the legislative powers to settle disputes, and we do not have the powers to become involved.

Data Protection Act:

I also noted that you have copied the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) in to your email, please remain guided by them.

Any concerns in relation to the holding and management of your personal information and complying with the Data Protection Act 1998 are matters that fall under the remit of the ICO. The ICO is the UK's independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.

Thank you once again for writing to us and I hope I have provided you with the steps to take in order to resolve your queries and concerns. I have provided a link below which explains more about the work that we do to improve consumer protection.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.