DVLA fine for untaxed vehicle I no longer own

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a new car from a dealer at the end of November 2014 and part exchanged my old car.

The dealer got me to sign the V5 and advised that they would register that they were the new owner. I also posted my section with a request for refund of road tax to end of March 2015.

I didn't receive any notification from the DVLA but to be honest I didn't realise I was supposed to. I work away a lot and it slipped my mind that I hadn't received a refund either.

I didn't get a tax reminder in March, which would have made me query the situation. The first I've known about it was a letter with an £80 fine, a demand for tax owed and a demand that I tax the vehicle. As far as I'm concerned I don't owe the tax and I can't buy a tax disc for a vehicle I don't own, have no registration document for, no insurance and no MOT.

The DVLA are refusing to have a telephone conversation with me and, aside from the fine, I'm concerned that penalties etc may have been incurred in my name if they still have me as the registered keeper.

I can't believe the vehicle doesn't have a new owner as it was only on an 08 plate and very saleable. The dealer advised they were going to put it into auction.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this or have had success in getting the fine written off in similar circumstances?

TIA

Hello and welcome to CAG. I've changed your thread title for you.

The forum guys should be along later with advice for you, please bear with us until they're able to get here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The dealer got me to sign the V5 and advised that they would register that they were the new owner. I also posted my section with a request for refund of road tax to end of March 2015.

One of the sections in the V5C is the one you sign when you sell to a motor trader - from memory I think it's the one with the yellow border marked V5C/3. The dealer and you both sign it to confirm you have transferred the car to the dealer. You keep the the yellow-bordered V5C/3 slip and the dealer keeps the rest of the V5C. Is that what happened? Is that the section you sent to DVLA? In which case it seems to be the all too familiar territory of DVLA denying they received your notification that you had sold the car. Last time I sold a car I had to send it three times! (original V5C/3 the first time but being a cautious type and not trusting DVLA I'd kept photocopy).

It is odd that the car hasn't apparently been re-registered by someone else. Possible that it's still on some dealer's forecourt waiting to be sold. If it is, and if DVLA never received the V5C/3, that would explain the situation you are in. Dealers don't register cars in their own name if they are holding them for sale (if they did it would increase the number of previous registered keepers every time a car passes through the motor trade).

OOps, awful when you get up late, sorry Ethel and hello.

Perhaps ForbiddenFruit will come back now and let us all know :)