• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowell/Carter claimform - Co-op loan - poss - Statute Barred?***Claim Discontinued***

knet2020
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Date of claim:

27 May 2015

What is the claim for –

Claimants claim is for sum of 51xx being monies due from the defendant to the claimant

under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the defendant

and Coop under account ref xxxx/xxxxxx and assigned to the claimant on 08/01/2013

notice of which has been given to the defendant.

The defendant failed to make contractual repayment under the terms of the agreement

and a default notice has been issued which has not been complied with.

What is the value of the claim? £6k +

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Loan account

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? Before 2007

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor

or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser (via solicitor)

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes, don't remember receiving NOA but would assume this has been sent

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes, dated 28 April 2009

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? Not that I am aware of

Why did you cease payments? Advised by Citizens advice, made an offer to pay non priority debts in Dec 2007

the offer was rejected by original claimant and no further payments made as I had priority debts to pay

What was the date of your last payment? Some time before Dec 2007 (at least 6 months before)

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? As above really, the account had gone into arrears and despite making offers to pay it was rejected

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original credito

r and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementlink3.gif plan? Yes, via CAB in Dec 2007

Acknowledgement of service was submitted on 02/06/2015 and I will send CPR 31.14 request today (see my next post below)

I wrote to Claimant on 16 April 2015 as letter arrived out of the blue using statute barred template, they responded on 24 April.

'Our clients position is that the limitation period runs from the date original creditor became entitled to demand payment. The account fell into default on 03 July 2009, therefore it is not statute barred and remains payable'

I have (as above) default notice issued via original creditor dated 28 April 2009 (with a date of 12 May 2009 arrears to be cleared) this letter makes mention of 'termination' which I would understand would be from 12 May 2009 but may this not be the case.

Is it the claimants argument that the date they mention above would be default notice + say 28/30 days then termination date plus 28/30 days? That is the only way I can get the dates to tally?

I have also letters from CAB showing an offer to pay arrears was made in Dec 2007

would argue that my account was probably in default at this time but I only have the above at the moment.

as I understand it this is going to hinge over a 4 month period (if the 2009 dates are used) but it seems this is statute barred, what are others thoughts.

This would be the basis of any defence which I hope to make.

Regards

Edited by knet2020
Fixes

thank you to all knowledgeable people on this site who give their time freely to help

Many thanks for completing the above knet2020 ...however you have missed one vital point.......

The date of the claim ?:wink:

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

We will offer when we know the date of issue.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

We will offer when we know the date of issue.
Have now updated as requested, can anyone advise?

I have prepared a CPR request modified to ask for the default notice, copy of agreement and notice of assignment. This is ready to send.

I am concerned that as the claimant has given a specific date of 'cause of action' they are possibly in possession of a termination notice (on that date) or similar. I have not received this and as dates here are so tight I am looking for a clarification of the 'cause of action date' as I do not wish to defend on the basis of Statute barred if it is plainly not the case.

thank you to all knowledgeable people on this site who give their time freely to help

I have (as above) default notice issued via original creditor dated 28 April 2009 (with a date of 12 May 2009 arrears to be cleared)

Date of claim:

27 May 2015.

Statute Barred.

Thanks so much, this is what I thought.

I have found the relevant defence wording so as ever thanks to this site however upon reading the thread at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?162456-Help-with-statute-barred-debt-county-court-claim-form&p=1743577&viewfull=1#post1743577 I note the POC states:

"The claimant also claims statutory interest at 8% pursuant to s.69...from the date of assignment of the agreement to date but limited to a maximum of 1 year and a maximum of £1000 amounting to £40x.xx"

This has been added to the amount claimed, so this appears to be interest however does this affect the statute barred (with reference to the above mentioned thread)

Edited by knet2020
Additional Info

You cant add interest to a statute barred debt...just submit the statute barred defence.

Regards

Andy

there no real need as SB defence is absolute

wont hurt mind

CCA request too

don't sign anything.

use a blank £1PO

Here is the SB defence

just fill the 2 bits in and file it now

1. The Claimant's claim was issued on (insert date).

2. The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the limitation act 1980.

3. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

4. The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

.dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As ever thanks to all on here who give their time freely it simply cannot be overstated how valuable it is.

I will take the action suggested and keep the thread informed of any updates.

As a side note it seems that 'ignorance of law' is what they are relying on,

I am in no doubt (maybe) that the court would not spot this and would simply rubber stamp the claim despite it being statute barred.

correct, no checks on anything are ever done if a speculative claim is not defended

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As a side note it seems that 'ignorance of law' is what they are relying on,

I am in no doubt (maybe) that the court would not spot this and would simply rubber stamp the claim despite it being statute barred.

It's no concern to the court as a claimant is entitled to bring action for an old debt and is only defeated under the Limitation Act if the defendant actually brings up SB as their defence, otherwise it's not for the courts to do the defendants job.

It's no concern to the court as a claimant is entitled to bring action for an old debt and is only defeated under the Limitation Act if the defendant actually brings up SB as their defence, otherwise it's not for the courts to do the defendants job.

That is a fair point

I understand the claimant has 28 days to respond to the defence before allocation can proceed.

As this is likely to be allocated to the small claims track can make a CPR request in support of any proceedings that may take place?

I don't expect to recieve any responses to these requests however I would like to be able to say to a Judge that I asked for them (and possibly they were not supplied)

As I have used the SB defence

am I correct in believing that as the claimant mentions Default Notice, CCA agreement and assignment notice

they would be expected to produce those to the court and to me?

If not that is the reason I ask the question above.

SB defence is absolute

doesn't matter if they have the agreement etc etc

they have to prove it is not SB'd.

having the agreement means nowt to answering that question.

dx

and they

" As I have used the SB defence am I correct in believing that as the claimant mentions Default Notice, CCA agreement and assignment notice they would be expected to produce those to the court and to me? "

No ...because you are not putting them to proof within your defence.....this is why you only submit the Statute Barred defence if your 1000% positive it is.

Regards

Andy

Well after some checking it seems that this will hinge on the 'Default Date' xx/July/2009 as entered on Credit Report.I have made a CCA request to the claimant today.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Some updates:

- Noodle shows Default as xx/July/2009 (under LP details)

- 03 June received a notice from Court advising that defence has been received and they have 28 days to respond (33 in total) I calculated this to be 7th July

- Lowells have written regarding another SB debt (explicitly mentioned) offering a discount for payment (I have prepared a Debt not acknowledged letter it states the same original creditor) How/Should I respond to this?

- BC have today (22/06/15) sent a notice of intention to proceed, but before they advise Court wish to enter into 'negotiations' the court advises this

How to proceed? I entered a SB defence ONLY and not CCA or CB31 requests have been sent as I was advised the SB is absolute so the onus is on them. This is also a pre 2007 agreement.

Maybe nothing but most BC correspondence has been on yellow paper via Surrey, this is white paper via Huddersfield with a phone number eg more like a DCA letter.

So what if any are my next steps or do I simply wait?

Do nothing......

Short, sweet. Thanks. That was my original thought.

Andy can you confirm if the dates in point 2 are correct (do I include w/ends)?

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to my own post at #22 the time is 28 days + 3 for any who may be following along.

Well it arrived

N149A 'Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track' dated 30/06 so it was the very last days....

So will follow the advice listed in from http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?433973-BW-Lowell-claimform-old-CapitalOne-debt-***Claim-Discontinued***&p=4664689&viewfull=1#post4664689 as it's virtually identical to my situation.

Started by reading http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?433406-Alternative-Dispute-Resolution-%28Mediation.

I am worried this will somehow prejudice me
Guidance Note RE Mediation: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?440009-Guidance-Note-Mediation

Will also start preparing a Witness Statement as that is likely to be required.

As ever thanks in advance, it seems the allocation questionnaire has been completed with:

TAKE NOTICE THAT

1: This is now a defended claim

The defendant has filed a defence, a copy of which is enclosed (Crossed out in pen)

The date for filing is mid July... Will send completed and recorded to court & copies of the same also recorded to the claimant?

Next step is to make contact with

HM Courts & Tribunals Small Claims Mediation

P: 01604 795511 E: scmenquiries at hmcts.gsi.gov.uk

The following information is to enable others to find out what happens in the event they are in a similar position

Ok so I have contacted...

HM Courts & Tribunals Small Claims Mediation Service

Contact details are in the post 22 above

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-courts-and-tribunals-service

In (N180) Allocation Questionnaire pack there is leaflet EX370

As you complete the (N180) Allocation Questionnaire you indicate on the form:

Do you agree to this case being referred to the Small Claims Mediation Service? Y

This explains what the process is and what you need to do however it is also worth noting the following details so you are aware of the time scales and procedures:

• ALL PARTIES have to AGREE to the mediation
  • The Mediation service will try to arrange times/dates within 28 days
  • It is NOT a group/conference call
  • A mediator goes back & forth between parties for (up-to) 1 hour
  • dates & times cannot be agreed in 28 days paperwork goes to District Judge
  • District Judge will direct EITHER 2nd chance OR to court (directions)

The above is the process for the Mediation Service ONLY it is not comprehensive but gives you an idea.

It's worth reading CAG for other opinions & experiences and guidance notes

• 1 month later...

Well,

After some time away I am back here with some updates and requests for assistance. A brief time line (since my last post follows):

- I made contact with HM Courts & Tribunals Small Claims Mediation Service

- Both Parties agreed to mediation

- Due to a pre-arranged holiday I was informed by Mediation Service case would be sent to local County court as 28 days is all that is allowed (they DONT have access to dates on Allocation Questionnaire)

- They advised it's common for most judges to refer it back for 2nd attempt

On 18 Aug received Notice of Hearing which is mid November, and contains a number of directions most of which are fairly understandable. However I would like to know:

- Copies of documents to be made available to all parties

- The court has said hearing will take approx 180 mins

- Part 27 of Civil Procedure Rules apply, so do I request documents

I entered a SB defence ONLY and not CCA or CB31 requests have been sent as I was advised the SB is absolute so the onus is on them. This is also a pre 2007 agreement

Can I get some assistance to help prepare a Witness Statement?

I know some threads/posts have some examples and I will search but I would like to be able to run it by forum members who are knowledgeable as I will be a litigant in person and need to have something that will be in the correct format.

I understand the claimant has to pay a further fee by mid October (which I suspect they will)

Have been rather perplexed as I thought the SB Defence would see the Judge at least requiring the claimant to provide something before proceeding to a hearing?

As ever I hope members can help

Run through this with you later this evening Knet...just on my way out.

Regards

Andy