Clothes ruined by colour /dye run in washing machine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please can anyone help with this?

A brand new red checked shirt was washed following the label instructions at 40 degrees and the red dye has run into several other garments dyeing them pink/red to the point that they are potentially ruined.

Can anyone provide advise on how to approach the store to claim for the cost of the damaged clothes?

Thanks for any help?

hi, red normally always runs and it is best you wash it with item of the same colour

• Confused 1

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Like the others I very much doubt you will get anywhere with the store, my son still casts up the time I dyed his new top 'pink' :)

• Confused 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

So why should the shop be liable for what you admit is your mistake?

I'm not being rude, I'm just giving you the stance the shop will take.

Because their product ruined other clothes when washed as per instructions on the label?

There was no warning on the label about it potentially running.

That's like being hit by a bus and then trying to sue a bus company for not telling you that you could possibly be hit by a bus when crossing the road. Looking when crossing the road is something that should be taught by parents/school/experience.

I'm sorry but clothes running in the was is just a learning curve that almost everyone has to suffer.

That's like being hit by a bus and then trying to sue a bus company for not telling you that you could possibly be hit by a bus when crossing the road. Looking when crossing the road is something that should be taught by parents/school/experience.

I'm sorry but clothes running in the was is just a learning curve that almost everyone has to suffer.

????

You're obviously missing the point here then.

Because their product ruined other clothes when washed as per instructions on the label?

There was no warning on the label about it potentially running.

Ah, the very reason i had to put a notice above a heater the other day to 'warn' people that it might be hot...

Chipper, hate to be the one to add to the chorus of 'you made a mistake - it's your fault' but, there we go...

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Ah, the very reason i had to put a notice above a heater the other day to 'warn' people that it might be hot...

Chipper, hate to be the one to add to the chorus of 'you made a mistake - it's your fault' but, there we go...

Well, that seems to be the general consensus of opinion so I suppose i'll go with that.

My view, for what it's worth, is that the goods I bought (and washed) should not of been able to cause damage to other goods that it comes into contact with. Why don't the manufacturers produce clothes to such a stage where this type of thing can't happen? If it only happens during the first wash, why isn't that a part of the process where the dye is added?

Perhaps contact the manufacture of the shirt and provide evidence (eg photograph of the label) that you notice that they do not include the disclaimer that other manufacturers do - that dark colours have the potential to lose dye in the first wash ! Explain that because of this you believed there would be no dye run.

However, I think it unlikely that you will get anywhere.

I have purchased a duvet set that seems to run every time it is washed ? The colour of the duvet is getting fainter and fainter but the colour of the sheet is becoming stronger :lol:

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There are products that take out dye stains. Google 'colour run remover' and you'll find several.

HB

Update:We used Tesco Colour Run Corrector and salvaged some items. Thanks to all those who provide positive help.

Some good news at least :)

BCOBS

Having worked in the clothing industry many moons ago there is usually a label on new clothing that warns of colour fastness. The prime suspects that cause colours to run are always reds including purples, blue and black. Other colours will run but the effect isn't so noticeable.

However regardless of having a warning label or not I would always wash a new item on its own before even wearing it as jeans and shirts have been known to stain skin in the groin and armpit/collar area where moisture can build up.

If the suspect item was purchased from a reputable source then it could always be argued you did wash the item separately but the colour fastness was of such it damaged the next load in the machine, as that is not unheard of depending on the washing machine used. Some washing machines at the end of each program will empty the contents of the sump, some don't leaving coloured water in the sump ready to stain the next load. When I have washed a new pair of jeans for example on their own I always flush the machine out on a rinse cycle just to make sure it's clean for the next load.

Me personally I would try my luck with the retailer and learn from it in future. Hope my advice helps.

Having worked in the clothing industry many moons ago there is usually a label on new clothing that warns of colour fastness. The prime suspects that cause colours to run are always reds including purples, blue and black. Other colours will run but the effect isn't so noticeable.

However regardless of having a warning label or not I would always wash a new item on its own before even wearing it as jeans and shirts have been known to stain skin in the groin and armpit/collar area where moisture can build up.

If the suspect item was purchased from a reputable source then it could always be argued you did wash the item separately but the colour fastness was of such it damaged the next load in the machine, as that is not unheard of depending on the washing machine used. Some washing machines at the end of each program will empty the contents of the sump, some don't leaving coloured water in the sump ready to stain the next load. When I have washed a new pair of jeans for example on their own I always flush the machine out on a rinse cycle just to make sure it's clean for the next load.

Me personally I would try my luck with the retailer and learn from it in future. Hope my advice helps.

Thanks for the useful info and help.

As I've said, the garment was put into the wash by mistake and USUALLY, these things don't happen (I don't ever remember it happening before), however, this time it has and it has ruined some expensive, relatively new tee-shirts (all items belonging to my sons so you can imagine our how well that has gone down!).

I just find it a bit surprising that manufacturers don't put it on the label when an incident such as this must be relatively common.

Update:We used Tesco Colour Run Corrector and salvaged some items. Thanks to all those who provide positive help.

Good stuff, as long as you managed to salvage your son's T-shirt or you'll never hear the end of it :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert