Jump to content

The Occupier, British Gas and Richburns Ltd #Threatening_Letter.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I have a couple of hundred pounds owing to British Gas which I have been late paying and now I have received a threatening letter headed "British Gas" and "Richburns Ltd", addressed to the The Occupiers or Occupiers.


The letter says,

Removed indentifying info


They intend to visit the house this week and are threatening to apply for a Warrant of Entry if I do not comply.


This is causing me a lot of worry as I already suffer from anxiety and am diagnosed with two chronic conditions.


I have been paying the gas bills but on the last two quarterly bills I paid £100 less than the amount asked as I had to prioritise my debts.


The problem is I don't have a tenancy and I don't own the house. I don't want to give my details as I have agreed to leave the house on very short notice due to a domestic situation and don't want to risk bills being racked up in my name (which unfortunately has happened to me in the past).


My Questions are;


1. Am I obliged to register my details with the utility company because I still pay the bills, even if not always on time?


2. Can they legally break into the house and fit a prepayment meter, which I don't want, as I have young toddler and I will struggle to get out and buy prepayment cards?


3. How should I deal with Richburns, as I have hardly slept for worrying, since receiving the letter from them?


please ask me any questions and I will be as honest as I can. :help:

Edited by Angst_2015
Removed personal information
Link to post
Share on other sites

realistically you need to deal with this



you could quite reasonably be classed as vulnerable

and that would change things to your advantage in this impending situation.



however, you cant pull that chain until your sort it properly.



richburns can and will get a warrant and fit the meter if you don't deal with it

but the vulnerability cannot be brought into play unless you help them to help yourself

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone has to be registered, either property owner or tenant. So yes this needs to be resolved. Otherwise someone could use energy, then do a runner without paying.


Yes they can break in after gaining a court order to install a prepayment meter.


Best advice is to speak to the person who owns the house to ask them what they want to do. They might prefer to arrange with British Gas to install a prepayment meter, rather than it being necessary to have one installed by forced entry to the property. As you don't have a current official tenancy it is not your decision.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

How much is outstanding at this current moment in time?

Can I ask, what rights do you have within that house at present if you have no tenancy or dont own ot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the quick replies!


I really don't want a prepayment meter, if I contact british gas directly do you think they will allow me to register and agree a payment plan or at worst just pay the £200 owing by adding it to a nearly maxed out credit card?


I have already been told by CAB in this current state i have no real home rights, so maybe its time I ask for some sort of tenancy, wont hurt I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

British Gas have a system called 'Home Energy Top Up' - basically they can send you out the card and key readers which you plug into your computer VIA a USB port and top up from home. You don't have to go to a shop

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...