Carers Allowance, and Income Support top up......

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I hope that you're all well.

For the last 13 months I've been getting JUST carers allowance, I applied for Income Support which was accepted and back dated, but I had to attend a face to face interview Thursday gone, and the lady doing the Interwiew quite bluntly explained that carers were now expected to look for part time work. I told her that I was a carer 24 hours a day, but she said that wasn't her problem........

Also, that I now have to attend regular face to face interviews at the job centre to explain my carers role, and to discuss what if any part time job's that I've been applying for..... Furthermore, it was said that failure to attend an interview regardless of caring responsibillities is now sanctionable in both income support for carers and carers allowance regardless of the level of care being given... To say that I was absolutely livid is an under statement, and I told her that Mum came first and they could all go [edited] and that I was more than happy to take on the whole of the DWP in any court on my own at any time...!!

So... My question.... Have I come up against a nasty bull sh*t merchant, or is it actually the case that carers now have to look for part time work on top of being a carer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...?

My own research shows that I am NOT required to look for ANY work as a carer....

Thanks in advance, DMD... :-)

Edited by honeybee13
Language edited.

No this is wrong. It's optional..but just say you did want to work part time..you can only earn £110 a week. You should threaten her with that you are going to talk to her manager. And they can't sanction you at all..you ought to put that person in her place..tell her she's a liar.

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative term
  • Haha 1

...tell her she's a liar.

Or getting confused with the myriad of rules applicable to claimants of Universal Credit, some of which will be based on fiction or poorly interpreted briefings.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I get Income Support as a Carer and Carer's Allowance. At my last job centre appointment in March my adviser swapped me onto three yearly interviews and told me I was not obliged to swap onto JSA/look for work but to ring her if anything changed in the three year period

The VERY FIRST thing she tried was to get me to change to JSA....

I'm thinking that a FoIA request is needed now......

And then you'd get sanctioned because you're not doing enough to look for work.

One criteria for income support is being a carer.

Sounds as though you need to change adviser.

Ros and others may know more than I do; but I do believe you only turn up to these interviews and don't have to actually do anything. (ie, look for any form of work, whether that's paid or voluntary)

Certainly my 'interviews' were always just to check my circumstances hadn't changed. No pressure about looking for work etc. My adviser always lets me know about the courses my local college run too in case anything interests me but no pressure to attend etc

My daughter, who is my main carer, has been on IS and Carer's for 5 years now and has never had any sort of interview. She did originally intend to claim JSA but was told that she couldn't because she was a carer.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Or getting confused with the myriad of rules applicable to claimants of Universal Credit, some of which will be based on fiction or poorly interpreted briefings.

I go with this. There's a lot of nonsense and daft rumours go around about these things, and the lack of proper training for some DWP staff really doesn't help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks everyone.. :-)

I'm currently preparing a FoIA request to the DWP, I'm doing it by snail mail too because I want an answer on DWP headed A4 rather than an uninteresting email reply. I must say, that my "interview" last Thursday was NOTHING like ANY of the responses above!!! It was obvious from the get-go that my interviewer wanted me off C.A. & I.S. there and then... She actually told me that I should be on JSA. This is Ashton under Lyne JobCentre+ btw.

I'll quote what she said... "(1 )We now expect carers to find at least some part time work, (2) You now have to attend a set number of MANDATORY face to face interviews at this jobcentre with me, failure to attend without notification will see your I S sanctioned. (3) In time your C-A will be sanctioned too. (4) Do you "really look after Mum 24/7"?

I'm also including in the FoIA request, what their policy is on claimants having to provide information about their charges with regards to personal privacy, Data Protection, and medical confidentiality of the person cared for too.

thanks again folks..... Dave, DMD.. :-)

The above post was in paragraph's, and properly presented with respect to grammar, the automatic software has turned it out like the mush that it's in...... Very poor.....

She actually told me that I should be on JSA.. This is Ashton under Lyne JobCentre+ btw..... I'll quote what she said......"(1 )We now expect carers to find at least some part time work,"

Well.... If you are providing 24/7 care for someone, you do not meet the requirements to claim JSA. Simply put, JSA claimants must be available for, and actively seeking work.

Perhaps you should be putting in a formal complaint about this "advisor" so that others do not have to suffer the same.

The above post was in paragraph's, and properly presented with respect to grammar, the automatic software has turned it out like the mush that it's in...... Very poor.....

I edited in some punctuation and the like - looks like something in the forum software messed it up. Sorry about that, hope it's OK as it is now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

With regard to the points she made, this is my understanding:

1) Is not true. Carers may, if they wish, do paid work, but it is not a requirement of IS or CA that the claimant look for work.

2) Is sort of true - if you are asked to attend interviews, you should do so. I am unsure what the specific rules are regarding the number and nature of these interviews.

3) Strikes me as horse manure. JCP can't sanction your CA. This does, though, further lead me to suspect that the adviser has got confused regarding new Universal Credit rules.

4) The adviser has absolutely no business doubting your word on this unless she has some specific, articulable reason to think you are not being truthful.

With regard to the points she made, this is my understanding:

1) Is not true. Carers may, if they wish, do paid work, but it is not a requirement of IS or CA that the claimant look for work.

2) Is sort of true - if you are asked to attend interviews, you should do so. I am unsure what the specific rules are regarding the number and nature of these interviews.

3) Strikes me as horse manure. JCP can't sanction your CA. This does, though, further lead me to suspect that the adviser has got confused regarding new Universal Credit rules.

4) The adviser has absolutely no business doubting your word on this unless she has some specific, articulable reason to think you are not being truthful.

1) You can work 16 hours a week as long as you earn £110 or less but its not compulsory

2) My interviews are every three years

It may assist you to read here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/benefits-for-carers.aspx very informative and worth using the further links within that page.

Are you aware that if you claim Carers Allowance (CA) it will affect your other benefits? If not please read here https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/what-youll-get

Edited by mikeymack2002
Added more info

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Thanks all.... I have prepared the following FoIA request, if there are any suggestions or changes..? I'll post it tomorrow. Freedom of Information Act Request. Dear Sirs, Would you please provide me with the following information: 1. Can carers be sanctioned in respect to Income Support? If the answer is yes, please supply all of the reasons why. 2. Can carers be sanctioned in respect to Carers Allowance? If the answer is yes, please supply all of the reasons why. 3. What is the official policy in respect to Income Support for carers having to attend, “mandatory personal interviews”, at Job Centre Offices? 4. What is the official policy in respect to Cares Allowance for carers having to attend, “mandatory personal interviews”, at Job Centre Offices? 5. Are carers expected to look for part time work as part of the conditions surrounding the qualification and continuing qualification to Income Support? If so, please supply the full policy. 6. Are carers expected to look for part time work as part of the conditions surrounding the qualification and continuing qualification to Carers Allowance? If so, please supply the full policy.

You may find that asking for "official policy" gets you nowhere. A more structured and pedantic method is to ask:

All documents and guidance notes supporting the policy in question.

FoI requests should be used for documents as opposed to policy - I've seen a few whatdotheyknow requests refused on that basis, so you need to structure yours with that in mind.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...