style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure on the rules regarding erecting of fences on boundary walls, so was hoping someone could clarify for me.

Basically our bungalow is very close to the house next door, their kitchen window/door looks right into our kitchen

There's no privacy outside, except for a 3-4ft tall concrete/brick wall.

Can I have a tallish fence erected/attached to the brick wall, to give us some privacy?

This is the view from our kitchen door:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57799[/ATTACH]

This is the satellite map showing how the houses look from above.

The red line being the short brick/concrete wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57798[/ATTACH]pencil.png

You will need to look at your deeds, there may be restrictive covenants etc that restrict your right to put up fences.

However, if there are not, you can normally put up a fence up to 6ft tall if it is behind the building line. Hedges can go higher.

If you are in any doubt, planning departments can be very helpful if you phone them.

You can also get film to put onto your window that will mean that you can see out, but no one can see in, that would maybe give you privacy?

I think the rules on fence height only apply to a solid structure - adding to the stated 2m permitted height with trellis is quite normal. Choosing appropriate trellis pattern rather than a solid fence could give you the privacy you need without blocking light.

Best advice is speak to the neighbour. They may want a fence to be put up and even share the cost. On your side of the boundary you can erect a fence if you want one. It is if you wanted to muck around with the actual boundary wall that you would have to go through a formal process with the neighbour.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

you can put up a fence without any permission on your property as long as it is no more than 2m high at its highest point. This is to take into account any slope of the land. You can ask for PP to erect a taller fence. Your neighbour's light doesnt come into it in this matter even if they have ancient lights rights. Walls can be built but will need to pass building regs rather than needing permission. As for where the boundary is there is a little leeway in the London Building Acts and similar legislation in other cities but try and get agreement with the neighbour if there is any dispute as to where the boundary is.