• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court claim from Lowells for Lloyds overdraft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm getting a bit lost with the huge wall of information available on the site, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to help me straighten things out.

I've had several thousands taken from me in bank charges in the last 7 years (I know you can only claim for the last 6, found that much already!) mostly because the charges themselves have dropped me into an unauthorised overdraft so I've been charged on them too.

For the last 3 years I've been on benefits and the charges have kept coming in.

I'm not at the point where Lloyds TSBs new charges system is REALLY going to sting me. I was making payments on the overdraft of 10 pound a month and was a few days late paying one month. They put a 15 pound unauthorised overdraft fee on for that, then a further daily charge (I forget how much without checking the paperwork) to go with it. Because those charges were taken there's no way I can bring my account back into the "authorised" overdraft without starving my family!

Given the current situations with claims being put on hold while the test case goes through, what options do I have open to me? I'm getting calls from Lloyds TSB now threatening to pass the account off to debt collectors when it wouldn't have been a debt if it wasn't for the stupid new charging system! It's at the point where they'll charge 215 pound a month (15 pound unauthorised overdraft and 10 daily charges of 20 pound)!

Thanks for any advice or "direction pointing" anyone can offer,

Steve

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the CAG

Have you tried the Hardship route, where banks have to consider your circumstances due to the unfair charges causing you undue hardship, I am sure there are some links on here, or else someone more knowledgable can help

See this link it may help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/138530-nationwide-bs-bank-charges.html?highlight=hardship

• Haha 1

Hi Aterlatus, and welcome to CAG

You may want to have a look at this letter here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/42170-right-appropriation-stop-bank.html

You may be able to stop the bank taking all of your money before you have fed the family.

As far as the site goes there are some links in my signature that are worth a look at. They will help you find your way about

Lex

• Haha 1

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the advice so far :D

The Right of Appropriation is one I think I might put on the backburner in case I end up in trouble with my main account (joint account with the wife we started up when we married). The problems I'm having atm are with my personal account, which is mostly unused.

I think I might take a look into the hardship route though. Given that the account will remain over it's limits until the whole thing is settled, what's the score with the charges that'll keep coming in during that period? Is there any way to stop the charges racking up or would there just have to be another claim once the account is in credit again? I read that there's an act that says banks aren't allowed to take charges out of benefits payments - is there any way to stop them from doing so short of giving up the bank account?

Well, today's the day. I've put together a Schedule of Charges and Preliminary Approach for Repayment and they'll go in the post this afternoon. I've dropped a note on the end of the Preliminary Approach for Repayment claiming hardship so let's see how it goes.

Wish me luck guys!

Teach them gits to wake me up on a Saturday morning threatening me :p

Following on from advice I got on this forum, I'm planning to reclaim my charges from LloydsTSB claiming financial hardship to make sure it's processed. The account in question is rarely used any more and is still overdrawn (I was paying it back at 10 pound a month in agreement with them but because I was a few days late one month they stuffed on the charges and now on my very low income it's impossible for me to bring it back into the "authorised" overdraft limit). They've been threatening me with passing it off to a debt collector, so I tacked that paragraph on at the end saying I consider the account to be in dispute so they shouldn't apply more charges until the issue's resolved.

Can someone take a looksie over the letter and tell me if all is OK so I can pop it in the post this afternoon please? Obviously personal details are removed for the site.

In considering this request for repayment, your attention is drawn to the Press Release issued by the FSA on 27th July, which states:

"Consumers who are in very difficult financial circumstances - 'hardship cases'

Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS."

I believe that my personal circumstances fall within this category because I have been in recipt of incapacity benefits since April 2005. I am currently in arrears with rent payments and several creditors thus excessive delay will cause undue hardship.

Given the nature of this claim, I consider this account to be in dispute and no further action or payment shall be made until this matter is resolved.

As per OFT guidelines Section 2.8k "not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt."

Assuming the letter is OK and goes in the post today, I'll keep you all informed about the progress.

Thanks for all the great support guys and gals

Edit: Removed a large portion of the letter. I originally found the template on the wiki, which didn't suggest that the templates should not be reproduced on the forums. I've just left the amendments at the bottom in tact. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. The original template, in full, can be found in the templates library - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/671-2-letter-preliminary-approach.html :D

All the best with that, Aterlatus.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

One thing that is not correct is the address that you are sending it to - unless that is also a dummy address for posting it on here. Correct contact details can be found here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/236-lloydstsb-contact-details.html

Thanks for the link. The address I posted is the one I sent to, since that's the one listed on their site etc. as primary contact address. What should I do now? Send another copy to one of the addresses in that post or just stick with the one I have and see if they reply?

Surely if it's listed as their contact address then all mail received there is just filtered off to the right departments? Then I guess we are talking the same banks that are handing out these charges in the first place so nothing is impossible!

You know it's right there as the first sticky as well. I feel like a right prat for missing that one. :S

...The Right of Appropriation is one I think I might put on the backburner in case I end up in trouble with my main account (joint account with the wife we started up when we married). The problems I'm having atm are with my personal account, which is mostly unused.

I think I might take a look into the hardship route though. Given that the account will remain over it's limits until the whole thing is settled, what's the score with the charges that'll keep coming in during that period? Is there any way to stop the charges racking up or would there just have to be another claim once the account is in credit again? I read that there's an act that says banks aren't allowed to take charges out of benefits payments - is there any way to stop them from doing so short of giving up the bank account?

The following 2 Threads contain some further info that U MAY like to consider??...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/135403-nationwide-taking-benefits.html#post1431000

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/118064-nationwide-hardship.html#post1201294

...:-)

Hi all and thanks for the continuing feedback.

The day after I sent the first letter I got a call from their collections department to arrange a repayment plan which I figured can't hurt (stops any more charges racking up in the short term - I don't like the idea of adding charges to the list as I go complicating things!) and they've agreed to stop charging interest for the next 10 months at which point they'll review.

Hopefully by then they'll crumble on the charges issue and I'll be paying in enough to easily clear that debt. /grin

So far as a parachute account goes, I've not really used this account for a long time now (since shortly before I got married, me and the wife opened a joint account) so it's not too much of an issue them taking charges out of benefits anymore.

It was so damn hard biting my lip without saying anything nasty when the collections department called but I was a good boy guv, honest ;)

They did manage to cock it up though and I got another call last night to straighten things out (first guy had got his dates mixed up on the system, so although the agreement was due to kick in on the 30th and that was written in the notes, the system thought it was the 20th and triggered an automated call). If I get another call from them again I'll request they stop and put that letter PGH linked to good use.

Fingers crossed all goes well now. They've got 10 days and counting before the second letter goes in the post. I almost hope they don't pay up though - a nice 800 quid goes on top from interest if they drag it to court!

I've been reading ahead of myself again and I noticed that on the N1 template it states "yada yada entered an agreement on yada yada". I've no idea when I opened my account - should I try and get that info from my branch "while we're friends" or should I reword the N1 when I have to fill that out?

Just given myself another fright - once a court date comes through I'll have to supply copies of statements according to the other threads I'm reading now. I got the info from downloading statements from the LloydsTSB website rather than a SAR and the originals are long destroyed now. Would the downloaded CSV be sufficient? If not, would copies of the online statements do the job, or do they need to be actual originals (IE, needing to file a SAR ASAP)?

I've been reading ahead of myself again and I noticed that on the N1 template it states "yada yada entered an agreement on yada yada". I've no idea when I opened my account - should I try and get that info from my branch "while we're friends" or should I reword the N1 when I have to fill that out?

I would ask your branch for the date the account was opened. Much better to be precise on the N1. Otherwise it may look to a judge that you haven't done your homework.:)

Els

Got the date it opened from a branch yesterday - damn, didn't realise how long I'd had that same account number. 1996 - I feel old ;p

Got a reply from LloydsTSB today - the typical "We'll investigate your complaint and get back to you when we feel like it" carbon copy letter. A week tomorrow and the LBA will be heading their way.

Thanks again for all the replies, you guys are invaluable :D

Now there's a thought - where should I send the LBA? I've got a choice of the same address I sent the prelim to, the return address I got this recent reply from or one of the addresses listed in the sticky. lol

Went through my online statements tonight and printed all the ones that list charges to PDFs (33 of them in all). I only need the statements showing when charges were taken and not the statements that show the bounced direct debits or unauthorised overdrafts right? Also, is it worth me editing the PDFs to highlight the lines that show the charges? They're generally surrounded by some debits of an, errr, "personal" nature, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Could really do with some suggestions about where to send the LBA now peeps - due to be sent this Thursday. I got a choice of:

a) The same address I sent the prelim to (which was replied to, albeit with a standard letter)

b) The address the above mentioned letter came from

c) One of the addresses listed in the sticky, head office or such like

Thanks for any tips :)

PS I was off the first page in less than a week - way to go all you LloydsTSB peeps :D

Well, today it's two weeks on and it's LBA day, but reading some other threads it got me pondering...

Should I send out an LBA drafted from the consumerwiki today, or should I wait a few days longer to see if any new ones crop up on the forums which take the test case into account?

I would just send off the LBA. We are currently updating templates following the test case result but you can still send the LBA as it is.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Got a reply from LloydsTSB today - the typical "We'll investigate your complaint and get back to you when we feel like it" carbon copy letter. A week tomorrow and the LBA will be heading their way.

I feel the need to expand on this a little, in order that anyone who comes across my thread in their own pursuits of LloydsTSB will know what to expect!

The letter itself came from "Customer Services Recovery Centre" in Andover, Hampshire.

It lists a complain reference, followed by a typical template (you think they have a banksactiongroup.co.uk going where they share templates? :p) the first three paragraphs refer to the typical complaints procedure with the usual "I'm sorry to learn you feel you have cause to complain" stuff. It mentions they expect enquiries to be completed within the next four weeks.

There's then a final paragraph bolted on at the end, almost like it was an afterthought for the regular letter.

If your complain is about the level, fairness or lawfulness of overdraft bank charges, then a different process that we've agreed with the Financial Services Authority will apply. We will write to you shortly to explain how we'll handle that complaint and what steps we will take to protect your rights. In responding to you we will also consider all the things you have raised in your letter, as well as any further information we have about your financial circumstances.
Digitally signed (you can even see the pixelated background of the box where the digital copy isn't quite white!) by 'Mr X' of "Customer Service Recovery".

All very polite and friendly, for now. I've always been a shy and timid kinda guy, but the way the banks have been treating consumers (particularly me! :p) really started to get my goat up and anger is one hell of a driving force for this stuff. Naturally, I'll keep updates on here of any further developments. I don't have anything of monetary value to give to CAG for all the support right now, so I hope my continued breakdown for others pondering the process will show appreciation enough until times change :)

Edit: Thanks for the reply Rory. I'll get that put together and in the post this afternoon.

I've just started putting my LBA together, as per the template on http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

I'd like someone to take a look over my hardship claim and say whether it's appropriate or not? Is it going into too much detail? Is it coming across too whiney?

Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS."

I believe that my personal circumstances fall within this category because I have been in receit of incapacity benefits since April 2005. I am also currently in arrears with rent payments and several creditors. My home is currently in a poor state in need of furniture and carpetting. Therefore, excessive delay will cause undue hardship on my family and I.

Also, in my prelim I mentioned that I considered the account to be in dispute (see first post for full text). Since then I've made arrangements with their collections centre to start paying off the overdraft @ 10 pound a month. Should I keep pushing for the dispute route instead? If not, should I mention that I've made these arrangements in the letter with something like this:

I have recently made arrangements with your Collections Centre to start making repayments against the outstanding overdraft. In a letter dated 21/04/2008 a new Planned Overdraft limit of £550 was placed on the account, which is to be paid by 10 monthly installments of £10.
You're continued help and reassurance is greatly appreciated - in all honesty the whole process is quite daunting, maybe even terrifying!

Edit: I also skipped the part about:

You are also reminded of my request that you forward a copy of the Terms and Conditions that were in force at the time my account was opened, and any subsequent amendments to those Terms and Conditions. These are requested under CPR Pre-Action Protocol 4.6©, and your continued failure to provide them will be brought to the attention of the court, should it be necessary to commence a county court action.
because I've never actually requested this (was nothing about it in the prelim from the wiki and I never sent a SAR because I had the statements online). At the time there was a list of past T&Cs in the stickies but this seems to be missing now. Should I request it with the LBA?

Hi Aterlatus

I don't think your hardship paragraph will do any harm (I don't expect it will do any good either since banks don't seem actually to read these letters).

[Pedantic] on my famiy and me[/pedantic]

If you are claiming the account is in dispute just because of unlawful charges, IMHO you shouldn't push it. This paragraph is much better grounds for a court to force them to be reasonable.

Yes, rewrite the T&Cs paragraph as a request in the LBA - make sure you mention pre-action protocol 4.6©.

Thanks a lot Steven, I'll get the LBA in the post tomorrow. The continued support of all you guys and gals is invaluable :)

I really should proof read stuff a few more times before I send it out - turns out I messed up the dates in my LBA (both the current date and the "I sent the prelim on xxxx" date).

Will this cause problems? Do I need to resend or should I just make sure everything's right when it comes to the N1? Should I just find a rock to hide under where I can't make these silly mistakes? :S

I don't know if it's serious or not though - can it be used against me if this makes it to court? Or as long as the N1 is perfect does the court not care about anything that was sent before?