Tenancy Credit Checks - What The Landlords See

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is often a lot of confusion, fear and trepidation when those of us with less than perfect credit files have to go through the process of being referenced and credit checked for a new tenancy. A simple google will show that there is conflicting information out there about what landlord and letting agencies can and cannot see.

WHAT LANDLORDS CAN SEE

When you are credit checked for a tenancy only the public data can be seen and shared:

• Electoral Roll
  • CCJs
  • Bankruptcies
  • Name/DOB confirmation

WHAT LANDLORDS CANNOT SEE

Any private credit data is not allowed to be shared:

• Defaults
  • Missed Payments
  • Arrangements To Pay
  • Number of open/closed accounts
  • Type of open/closed accounts

As landlords do not share credit data they are unable to see credit data shared by other companies about you. It all comes down to reciprocity. To allay any further doubts Experian state on their website what can and cannot be shared to landlords:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames370.html

The information landlords and agents can see from your credit report is limited to publicly available records, including court judgements and insolvency records. They cannot see information about your credit commitments, such as credit cards, loans and mobile phone contracts.

And from Equifax

Thank you for getting in touch.

I can confirm that Equifax will only show public data including County Court Judgements and bankruptcies during rental checks.

What you say is prob true and the reason why most LLs ask prosp Ts for last 3 months current a/c bank statements, to show prospect's pattern of expenditure, balance monthly income/expenditure, with sufficient credit to pay rent when due. Failure to provide would be detrimental to application IMO

What you say is prob true and the reason why most LLs ask prosp Ts for last 3 months current a/c bank statements, to show prospect's pattern of expenditure, balance monthly income/expenditure, with sufficient credit to pay rent when due. Failure to provide would be detrimental to application IMO

I have never shown bank statements to a tenant. They have references from my current landlord and my employer. I would feel uncomfortable sharing my transaction details.