Police broken Data Protection Act?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, hope somebody can answer this for me. Been driving for nearly 20 years with no fines...until last year, my dad is the registered keeper of my car, he received the letter and sent it back advising my name. Sent it back, paid the fine etc, job done...I thought. 2 months ago I got another, did the same with the letter but didn't hear. The other day my mum rang me and she was fuming, said that she rang the number to find out why nothing has happened and they told her my licence was revoked for failing to send my licence back last year. This was the first I knew of it, I thought points were automatic and didn't receive letters from the DVLA. However what I need to know is, did they have any right to disclose such personal information to my mum? Surely this is a DPA breach? This has caused massive arguments...surely they can't just disclose this info can they???

You say your dad is the registered keeper, so all correspondence, especially if past correspondence was either lost or not responded to, will be addressed to the registered keeper.

It wouldn't be a DPA breach either on the fact this sort of information is published in the press.

Ok thanks for the reply. It was just my licence that was never received tho and what I don't understand is that if I ring them then they ask me all my personal details first but then when my mum rang, they happily told her my licence was revoked without any questions?

Why would that be published in the press? Fair enough it was a drink driving offence but it was 37mph in a 30 zone and I'm not disqualified from driving, it just needs renewing?

I would say you have more to worry about with your licence having been revoked as now have no entitlement to drive and any insurance would be void.

Not necessarily. It would depend on the exact wording on the insurance policy. With regards to licences, mine says... "Holds or has held and is not disqualified from holding", as a revocation isn't a disqualification, the OP could be OK insurance wise.

Also, with regards to the licence itself, on what date did the DVLA revoke it? You actually have 1 year from the date of revocation to renew it, so you may still have entitlement to drive. (Section 88 Road Traffic Act)

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

It was revoked in Oct 2014, I have sent it back and they said as soon as they receive it ( don't need to wait for it back ) I can drive again.

Oh and yes obviously my main concern is the fact I got caught speeding, 20 years with a clean licence has now gone and yea it worries me. That doesn't discount the fact that my personal information is given away just like that, it could have been anyone? Because of it, it's caused a lot of friction and stress for my mum and that's why I'm annoyed this info was just handed out?

My sky tv is in my girlfriends name and I tried to ring up about something and they wouldn't speak to me, that's just for tv...so why is this different, I really don't think this should have been told to anyone other than myself.